Thread: Peter Wright has died.

Default Peter Wright has died.

Life well lived.

He's a legend for sure.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

No clue who he is, or was, but prayers up just the same.

Never heard of him but he obviously could was a very talented angler. God bless his family.

Met him at the Fish Hawk in Atlanta many moons ago . He showed a film of his travel to Australia for giant billfish. Impressive man. Nice daughter too..

If I remember right , he is still the only Captain to catch 3 Granders in one day.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Grew up dying for that new issue of Marlin to come out so that I could soak up any bit of knowledge. RIP...

Yep, the Man knew some stuff for sure!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Just reminded me to re subscribe. This cover...

Pete’s boat was the first to have a tuna tower, a transom door, two-speed Fin-Nor reels, and curved-butt rods. He was the bleeding edge of big game innovation. Frank Johnson’s Mold Craft lure’s are based on Pete’s idea of a soft lure and a prototype he made and used in Hawaii.

I was introduced to Pete in 2006 at a sporting clays tournament at Quail Creek Plantation. Turns out, Pete liked shooting as much as he liked fishing. We hit it off immediately. Our conversations went on for hours. He had a very scientific mind and he questioned everything he hadn’t personally vetted. This partially explains why he pushed things to the next level.

We travelled practically every weekend to shoots all over Florida until I moved back to SC in 2010. He had a Hell’s Bay boat behind his house in Stuart. We’d run to the ICW and catch Cravelles on top water. We flew out to Bayou Meto once to hunt with some guys who wanted him to run their boat. It was interesting listening to him break down decades of erroneous notions. But 77 released Barrier Reef granders speaks for itself.

He could recite “The Man from Snowy River”, even after the effects of Alzheimer’s had become apparent. Several years ago, we met at a friends house in Hobe Sound to catch up and have a couple rum and tonics. He ripped through Snowy River like he had just memorized it, perhaps to convince us and himself that he was still all there. But then, that disease takes the oldest memories last. That was the last time I saw Pete. Marlin Magazine is a shell of what it once was when he was Editor at Large.

Great post. I will send you a pm to a link you have probably already seen, but will love either way. Remind me to ask you about PBW's thoughts on east coast marlin tournaments when I take you to lunch...