Thread: Not under Highstrung's watch

Default Not under Highstrung's watch

I still won't touch fucking cinnamon. Paid $8 for a smoothie the other day and nearly puked because of the unauthorized cinnamon therein...

Fireball is getting sued for selling mini bottles that don't actually contain whiskey

Jan 25, 2023

Danielle Harling

If you've ever walked into your local gas station and excitedly picked up one, or even a handful of mini Fireball bottles, you might want to sit down for this news.

It turns out that the teeny bottles don't contain any whiskey whatsoever. Like most gas station beverages moonlighting as cocktails or hard liquor, Fireball Cinnamon is actually a malt beverage.

Food & Wine reports that the news was uncovered due to a class-action lawsuit filed by Anna Marquez. The lawsuit, which was filed against Sazerac Company, Inc. (the makers of Fireball), calls out the company for misleading customers with their labeling.

To break it down a bit, there's Fireball Cinnamon and there's also Fireball Cinnamon Whisky. The miniature bottles of both offerings look quite similar, but the label for the Fireball Cinnamon states that it's a “Malt Beverage with Natural Whisky & Other Flavors and Caramel Color.” Additionally, the Fireball Cinnamon alcohol by volume (ABV), which stands at 16.5%, is much lower than the Fireball Cinnamon Whisky (33%).

“Using the words ‘With Natural Whisky & Other Flavors’ is a clever turn of phrase because consumers who strain to read this will [not] see how it ‘Natural Whisky’ is distinct from ‘Other Flavors,’” the lawsuit says. “They will think the product is a malt beverage with added natural whisky and other flavors.

"What the label means to say is that the product contains ‘Natural Whisky Flavors & Other Flavors,’ but by not including the word ‘Flavors’ after ‘Natural Whisky,’ purchasers who look closely will expect the distilled spirit of whisky was added as a separate ingredient," the lawsuit continues.

Fireball has reportedly fired back at the lawsuit, stating that Fireball Cinnamon can be differentiated from its boozier counterpart by “the words Fireball Cinnamon on the front label, without ‘Whisky.’"

https://www.wdsu.com/article/firebal...wsuit/42659215

I know for a fact that every label for beer, wine, and spirits must be approved by the TBB. Unless they went rogue, this probably means they are covered from liability but feel sure they will be asked to changed it. I had to triple take the other day myself. Here is that fine three letter acronym agency that handles this: https://www.ttb.gov/beer/labeling

MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Yeah, I heard about that suit. Fireball in my opinion is basically meth.. Sazerac is suing RNDC right now as well, all to do with distribution fallout. I have been asked questions about that silly malt base swill since it came out.

There's another huge lawsuit going on in our state as well, kinda a big deal.

And to MG's point, there have been plenty of name changes.. two I know of over the past few years.. The South Carolina select club, changing names. It's actually a Canadian whiskey bottled in Texas where they slap on our states label. Then Crown Royal had to reword a "bourbon mash" , can't remember what all was involved. Even Fireball used to have a full Dr McGillicuddys label.

Malt liquor at a gas station seems right.

I should sue you for bringing that handle of Fireball to the farm. Frick that nasty shit...

Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Yeah, I heard about that suit. Fireball in my opinion is basically meth.. Sazerac is suing RNDC right now as well, all to do with distribution fallout. I have been asked questions about that silly malt base swill since it came out.

There's another huge lawsuit going on in our state as well, kinda a big deal.
    Saz swung both heavy accusations and big time dolla bills out in that suit. Will be interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    Malt liquor at a gas station seems right.
    Weird running through the yankee state gas stations and seeing the shooters on the counter. Thinking that they have to go home and listen to those female yankee voices explains it I suppose...

I think that stuff was made with Royal Canadian, one of the cheapest blends made. You typically don't see anyone drive up and buy it.. they're not drivers. I know when Fireball really took off, it took several years for Royal Canadian to be back in stores.. there's no telling on the amount of sugar in it. They don't have to label that.. I'm sure the google might know.

Quote Originally Posted by ersepton View Post
    Saz swung both heavy accusations and big time dolla bills out in that suit. Will be interesting!
    Yep

Nothing wrong with a pull of fire ball on a cold hunt

I have wondered (and never purchased) how those mini bottles were sitting on gas station counters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some miserable sumbitches in Deadwood.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Nothing wrong with a pull of fire ball on a cold hunt
    Damn right.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Damn right.
    Da hell you say. For what to light the fire? Wash your mouth out from the dirty Mexicans doing work on your teeth & gums after last nights burrito?

I would have called High Strung a charlatan perhaps a snake oil sales man, but by denying the putrid nature of such a reached brew I have come to the conclusion the man must be honest.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot