Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browning pump cycle issue

Default Browning pump cycle issue

I've got a Browning BPS pump 12 gauge. Bottom eject. For years it worked great but now I have an issue I can't seem to get rid of. Sometimes when I cycle the pump after shooting, the gun doesn't grab the next round to put in the chamber. The spent shell ejects fine but the next rounds are still in the magazine.

Sometimes it does grab the next round but drops it rather than putting it in the chamber. I've lost several rounds in a swamp because of this.

I thought I'd fixed this with a very thorough cleaning but it still happens.

Had some ducks land Saturday morning, took a shot and missed. Cycled the gun for a follow up shot and heard "click", had to manually cycle the gun 3 times to load the next shell in the chamber. Ducks were gone then.

Any suggestions to try before I just take it to a gunsmith?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post

Any suggestions to try before I just take it to a gunsmith?
    Good luck finding one of those. You may have to find a gay one on Tinder and date his ass to get it fixed...

I mean I'm not gay but I do want my gun fixed

I'd buy a new shot gun. Of course I'm sure that might violate some of your ethics.

Engineers…

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Engineers…
    Ha, hey if there was an electrical design or programming solution to this I'd implement it and it'd work!

I found new slides and a few more BPS parts on E bay and midwest gun works. I reworked one of mine last fall.

YouTube search and if that doesn't work, take it to Mr. Cox.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunning Bird View Post
    YouTube search and if that doesn't work, take it to Mr. Cox.
    Mr cox is the best but you will also need to heed Sportins advice during the time it is being fixed.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Who is this Mr Cox you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    Who is this Mr Cox you speak of?
    Ronnie Cox over in Woodruff. A heckuva gunsmith, but he's usually backed up a bit so get it over there now if you can't fix it yourself.

864-288-3238
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I've got a BPS I bought in the late 70' or early 80's that had the same issue. I replaced the left and right cartridge stops and it fixed the issue. Here are the parts https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1524364114?pid=364114

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Ronnie Cox over in Woodruff. A heckuva gunsmith, but he's usually backed up a bit so get it over there now if you can't fix it yourself.

864-288-3238
    Just looked him up, he's in Simpsonville just 10 minutes from me! Thanks fellas!

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/brow...extractor.html

I'd buy this and put it in before I went to the gunsmith.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Whenever there is an issue with a pump shotgun, the answer is almost always buy something new. Whether its another one or an auto.

Thanks for all the advice. I have a L and R cartridge stop on the way and will try that. Maybe the extractor next.

If none of that fixes it I'll take it to Mr Cox. He's very close to my house so that's an easy trip.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by charlkj View Post
    I've got a BPS I bought in the late 70' or early 80's that had the same issue. I replaced the left and right cartridge stops and it fixed the issue. Here are the parts https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1524364114?pid=364114
    I did the same thing and it worked fine. These are normal wear items in a BPS….which is why I got it cheap. Watch the YouTube videos several times and carefully disassemble it. Take some phone pics before it is completely disassembled and see how everything fits together and works. It is a bit of a bugger to put back together.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Get your husband to pump it. If you toted corn bags you'd probably be strong enough.

That's all I can offer at this time
    Last edited by TheVisorGuy; 01-24-2023 at 06:48 PM.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Get your husband to pump it. If you toted corn bags you'd probably be strong enough.

That's all I can offer at this time
    Ah... you can do better than that. I'm disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by charlkj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    I did the same thing and it worked fine. These are normal wear items in a BPS….which is why I got it cheap. Watch the YouTube videos several times and carefully disassemble it. Take some phone pics before it is completely disassembled and see how everything fits together and works. It is a bit of a bugger to put back together.
    Thanks for the advice on the cartridge stoppers. They came in the mail today and seem to have fixed the issue. I cycled several rounds and not one stayed in the magazine.

And yea that trigger is always a fight to get it back in. Makes me angry every time I clean that gun.