Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Annual TX ranch trip

Good stuff Andy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I've never been in any of them but I believe at a certain size the fence don't matter much. It must be pretty big if they can't kill all of the javelinas out.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Technically, the Collared Peccary isn’t a true pig. Large males weigh up to 45-50 lb. The gringo locals won’t eat them , so we donated them to a local Mexican family that distributes them make tamales from the meat. Both male and females have tusks in the upper jaw. Some folks call them ‘’ Musk pigs” … get close to one and you will know why.

Most ranches down there try to keep the numbers controlled for the reasons mentioned earlier. They dig burrows as well or den in brush piles if they find someplace suitable.

Better yet, touch that musk gland on their back and you’ll think twice about a skunk being stinky…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Agreed 2th. We dang sure watched some.

Cool to see Bucks in late January still scraping, horning trees, chasing does and fighting. The fights are no joke either. every buck we saw that was classified as mature ( 5.5 years and up) had broken tines, scuffed hide and several with gore wounds that will probably kill them. The Ranch Biologist found one in a pond the day after we left - dead. A deep puncture to the gut.

This place is a hobby ranch by Texas acreage standards. the neighboring Ranches are 23,000 ( family owned since 1875) bought for 12 cents an acre, and a 170,000 contiguous acre Exxon owned gas and oil production tract. I am dang grateful to be invited to spend time with the fine folks that think enough of me to ask me to come fellowship. The shooting of animals is a bonus. We ate well, drank some good beverages and even did some chores. Best thing on the menu?? An Axis Doe that got turned into Fajitas.
    What county is the ranch in? My grandad used to be a member of El Panal ranch in Starr County.

Nice deer!

Quote Originally Posted by TXFowler View Post
    What county is the ranch in? My grandad used to be a member of El Panal ranch in Starr County.

McMullen
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

4.5 year old up and comer.

F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Battle scarred

F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Good stuff brother. That's a great trip. Not many see the beauty in south Texas, but I miss it every day.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    Good stuff brother. That's a great trip. Not many see the beauty in south Texas, but I miss it every day.
    It is very stark indeed. Best time of the year over there is Mesquite bloom and bluebonnet season.

The solitude and the tough folks that live there sure make it enjoyable. Beautiful indeed.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.