Thread: Gov’t Trappers

Default Gov’t Trappers

Someone give me the skinny on government trappers. I’ve got a pond/swamp that is over run with beavers. They’ve cleaned out most of my oaks and ruined what used to be at least a good roost pond. I don’t have time to spend eradicating these things, but they need to go ASAP. If it helps, they’re cutting the farmer’s beans beside the pond as well. What’s this kind of thing cost, and how do I get on the list? Subject area is around 10 acres total on Bennet Swamp outside of Greeleyville.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quack, I’ve got a buddy that should be able to answer these questions for you…I’ll reach out to him and get back to you

Thank you sir. I appreciate it.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Federal beaver trappers job is to keep the roadways open.

if beaver pond starts to get close to the road you might get some assistance.

I think you’ll get more traction with a private trapper. Like raybird said unless it’s negatively affecting a public entity I don’t know that they will help, or at least you won’t get any priority. Unfortunately I don’t have any contacts in that area or I’d pass them along. Good luck. There’s likely more in there than you think, and once you get them gone you got 6-9 months before more show up. It’s a never ending battle
    More Ducks, Less People

Borrow someone's alligator. We have very few and the ones that do come through don't last long. You can have alligators or beavers - but not both. Pick your poison.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

The pond is growing to the point that one corner is creeping up on a roadway. It’s probably still 75 yards to the road, but it used to be 250 or so.

And they are causing crop damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha and Abby View Post
    Borrow someone's alligator. We have very few and the ones that do come through don't last long. You can have alligators or beavers - but not both. Pick your poison.
    You're lucky if you only get one or the other. I've checked 4 traps on a dam between two ponds and had two beavers in conibears and an alligator in a leghold.

I agree with the thought that there are more than you think and they'll be restocked in a handful of months...

Look up and contact USDA APHIS. I can’t speak for SC but in NC they will trap and blow dams if your county is one they work in. Again this is NC but I imagine it’s not much different. You sign a cooperative agreement and the charge about 30 a day to trap. But when they trap they cover the place up. If you can do the agreement they will help you monitor and retrap as necessary. It would be worth the call to see.

APHIS does SC the same way. If it's any concern to a public road, contact them to have a look. They only ask for permission in that case, not $$$.

yeah, our rice marsh and a few drainage areas run close to one major highway and another bypass. Years back we had a government trapper that would come in every couple of years. He had a few beavers dead and a seven foot gator out of our marsh in one day. We were advised not to touch the gator. My father and I trapped several years before it turned into work, and time is important to me. Since, we've brought in private trappers.

I told this story on here once, but I'll never forget a buddy of mine, he's on here at times, stepping on a gator one not too chilly morning. He was under water, it took a bit before my friend let loose of the tree he was hanging on.

He said to look into/contact USDA Wildlife Services in SC. They have a beaver trapping program and should be able to provide a cost analysis.

Snares or conibears on slides?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk