Thread: Wood duck boxes

Default Wood duck boxes

Cleaning out the wood duck boxes and replacing the shavings today, Surprised to see out of the 6 I have 5 had 1-4 old eggs not hatched in them. Seems strange, boxes are 100 yards or so apart and in general not visible from the closest box. 1st year in 3 since the boxes have been up I’ve seen activity in them. What’s you guys experience with this, is there something that I need to do differently. Hate to see unhatched eggs.

I found a box on game land the other week that had a handful of eggs still in it.

Whoever is supposed to maintain the boxes in SNF are doing terrible. Boxes with no tops, sides missing, rotted posts, the list is endless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Are the two of you certain that those are old eggs?

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post
    This

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

My thoughts too.

Default Wood duck boxes

Quote Originally Posted by billbuster84 View Post
    I found a box on game land the other week that had a handful of eggs still in it.

Whoever is supposed to maintain the boxes in SNF are doing terrible. Boxes with no tops, sides missing, rotted posts, the list is endless.

Im not sure anyone manages the boxes I see around FMNF. I will normally freshen a few up every year. I did my personal boxes around new years.

Last edited by Islandguy85; 01-19-2023 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Otter 1200 View Post
    Cleaning out the wood duck boxes and replacing the shavings today, Surprised to see out of the 6 I have 5 had 1-4 old eggs not hatched in them. Seems strange, boxes are 100 yards or so apart and in general not visible from the closest box. 1st year in 3 since the boxes have been up I’ve seen activity in them. What’s you guys experience with this, is there something that I need to do differently. Hate to see unhatched eggs.
    Its normal that not all eggs hatch. Believe I recall an average 80% from a study I read awhile ago. Some hatches will certainly be more or less successful than others.

Eggs might not be old that you are looking at also.

Not sure if it is relevant but I shoot a lot of drakes...
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

I can’t say 100%, but I walk/ hunt this area all the time and haven’t seen a wood duck on the beaver pond or fish pond in a couple months. I didn’t clean out 4 of the 5 with the thought could they be this years. But also don’t want to leave them if they would hinder this years potential. Main reason for posting should I go ahead and clean the others or leave them.

I cleaned out mine a couple weeks ago and had eggs in both. With no sign of ducks around. Seems awfully early to be this year’s

Quote Originally Posted by Otter 1200 View Post
    I can’t say 100%, but I walk/ hunt this area all the time and haven’t seen a wood duck on the beaver pond or fish pond in a couple months. I didn’t clean out 4 of the 5 with the thought could they be this years. But also don’t want to leave them if they would hinder this years potential. Main reason for posting should I go ahead and clean the others or leave them.
    I would break one and see if it's rotten

Box clean out should be done in the fall if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    I would break one and see if it's rotten

Yep. Take one and throw it at a tree downwind of you. It'll sound like a .22 going off with all the pressure built up. It will stink. Bad. You'll see a fresh, fluffy blanket of down feathers all around/over the eggs if she's laying or sitting now.

Normal for some to not hatch. I'm more surprised when all do all hatch. I had a hen hatch all 22 (dump nest obviously, assuming a snake or something didn't get the leftovers) a few years ago.
    Last edited by WNM; 01-20-2023 at 09:13 AM.

There were no fresh feathers in the box I posted. There were also spider webs built above the age and across the entry hole of the box. Didn’t look like it had been used in some time

"Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

I went up to one last Spring to check it and as I got closer I noticed it was full of wasps!! Good thing I saw that before I got lit up!

Yea the majority of the ones I see on WMA are not being used and falling apart. I've applied 3 years in a row to get the wood duck boxes from DNR and never been selected. I suppose I could build some but that isn't really my forte.