Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Retail Sales Down 2 Straight Months

Maybe with these Microsoft layoffs, they will slow down on these updates that keep screwing everything up.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

The amount of tech and customer service work being exported right now is mind boggling. Even in our 6 person agency we are solicited the service at least weekly.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    Google announced layoffs of 12,000 employees.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technolo...00-jobs-report
    Maybe they will layoff Google Assistant on my phone

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Mohawk Industries warns of shortfall; net income down 83% from year before

Calhoun-based Mohawk Industries' current brands include Mohawk, American Olean, Daltile, Durkan, Eliane, Feltex, Godfrey Hirst, IVC, Karastan, Marazzi, Mohawk, Mohawk Group, Pergo, Quick-Step and Unilin

GEORGIA NEWS
    By Michael E. Kanell, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    19 hours ago

Mohawk Industries, one of the nation’s premier flooring companies, has warned investors that its sales and profits are taking a beating because of the housing slump of recent months.

The Calhoun-based firm said in a statement earlier this week that it had cut back on production, temporarily shutting down some factories as it scrambled to adjust to a rapidly chilling market for housing and the materials that go into homes.

The company also said this week it has paid $60 million to settle a lawsuit that alleged a scheme to mislead investors by hiding financial troubles and defective products made at a north Georgia plant.

However, details were hard to come by.

James Brunk, the company’s chief financial officer, did not respond to a request for comment from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Messages to the company’s corporate offices were also not returned.

In a statement earlier this week, Mohawk warned investors that the results for its fourth quarter, which will be announced in February, will be much lower than expected.

Mohawk, long a mainstay of the economy in northern Georgia, has about 43,000 employees, about half of them in the United States and thousands of them in Georgia.

While the company has a range of flooring products, it has long depended for much of its sales on the housing industry — new homes especially. Mohawk was hit very hard by the burst of the housing bubble, the recession of 2007-09 and the years of very little construction activity that followed.

Mohawk struggled to rebound. Among the moves made to ramp up its offerings Mohawk bought a Belgian manufacturer that made luxury vinyl tile and had a plant in north Georgia.

For the year ending Sept. 30, Mohawk had about $11.8 billion in revenues, up solidly from the previous year. But the company’s net income was $181 million, down 83% from the year before.

The company now says it expects fourth-quarter earnings of between $1.27 and $1.31 per share, down from a previous projection of $1.40 and $1.50 per share.

That compares with Mohawk’s earnings of $2.95 per share during the fourth quarter a year ago.

The housing market’s woes began in the middle of last year as the Federal Reserve rapidly lifted its benchmark, short-term interest rate in an effort to bring down inflation. That campaign inevitably pushed up other rates, including mortgage rates, which are crucial to home sales.

Higher mortgage rates meant less purchasing power for homebuyers on one hand, while squeezing homebuilder profits on the other. The result was a sudden chill on construction and sales.

In recent days, the company also said it was settling a proposed class-action suit, brought by the Public Employees’ Retirement System of Mississippi that had alleged that its chief executive, Jeffrey Lorberbaum, and other company officials had falsely booked revenue.

The company boasted higher sales and profits, but, according to the lawsuit, the company was inflating results. The suit charged Mohawk with using a scheme to make deliveries on Saturdays when customers were closed and couldn’t decline product they didn’t need yet or that Mohawk knew was defective.

In a statement, the company said it believes that the suit is “without merit and that it has substantive defenses to the claims of liability and damages.”

However, Mohawk still agreed to pay $60 million to settle the action, the statement said. “Mohawk has concluded that further litigation would be protracted, burdensome and expensive.”

The company said “a significant portion” of that payment is covered by insurance.

Shares of Mohawk stock closed Friday at about $114 a share, down from $161.33 a year ago. Five years ago, Mohawk was selling at $270.58 a share.

https://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-new...OR2QFXMCPJYGI/

Mohawk Industries warns of shortfall; net income down 83% from year before

Calhoun-based Mohawk Industries' current brands include Mohawk, American Olean, Daltile, Durkan, Eliane, Feltex, Godfrey Hirst, IVC, Karastan, Marazzi, Mohawk, Mohawk Group, Pergo, Quick-Step and Unilin

GEORGIA NEWS
    By Michael E. Kanell, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    19 hours ago

Mohawk Industries, one of the nation’s premier flooring companies, has warned investors that its sales and profits are taking a beating because of the housing slump of recent months.

The Calhoun-based firm said in a statement earlier this week that it had cut back on production, temporarily shutting down some factories as it scrambled to adjust to a rapidly chilling market for housing and the materials that go into homes.

The company also said this week it has paid $60 million to settle a lawsuit that alleged a scheme to mislead investors by hiding financial troubles and defective products made at a north Georgia plant.

However, details were hard to come by.

James Brunk, the company’s chief financial officer, did not respond to a request for comment from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Messages to the company’s corporate offices were also not returned.

In a statement earlier this week, Mohawk warned investors that the results for its fourth quarter, which will be announced in February, will be much lower than expected.

Mohawk, long a mainstay of the economy in northern Georgia, has about 43,000 employees, about half of them in the United States and thousands of them in Georgia.

While the company has a range of flooring products, it has long depended for much of its sales on the housing industry — new homes especially. Mohawk was hit very hard by the burst of the housing bubble, the recession of 2007-09 and the years of very little construction activity that followed.

Mohawk struggled to rebound. Among the moves made to ramp up its offerings Mohawk bought a Belgian manufacturer that made luxury vinyl tile and had a plant in north Georgia.

For the year ending Sept. 30, Mohawk had about $11.8 billion in revenues, up solidly from the previous year. But the company’s net income was $181 million, down 83% from the year before.

The company now says it expects fourth-quarter earnings of between $1.27 and $1.31 per share, down from a previous projection of $1.40 and $1.50 per share.

That compares with Mohawk’s earnings of $2.95 per share during the fourth quarter a year ago.

The housing market’s woes began in the middle of last year as the Federal Reserve rapidly lifted its benchmark, short-term interest rate in an effort to bring down inflation. That campaign inevitably pushed up other rates, including mortgage rates, which are crucial to home sales.

Higher mortgage rates meant less purchasing power for homebuyers on one hand, while squeezing homebuilder profits on the other. The result was a sudden chill on construction and sales.

In recent days, the company also said it was settling a proposed class-action suit, brought by the Public Employees’ Retirement System of Mississippi that had alleged that its chief executive, Jeffrey Lorberbaum, and other company officials had falsely booked revenue.

The company boasted higher sales and profits, but, according to the lawsuit, the company was inflating results. The suit charged Mohawk with using a scheme to make deliveries on Saturdays when customers were closed and couldn’t decline product they didn’t need yet or that Mohawk knew was defective.

In a statement, the company said it believes that the suit is “without merit and that it has substantive defenses to the claims of liability and damages.”

However, Mohawk still agreed to pay $60 million to settle the action, the statement said. “Mohawk has concluded that further litigation would be protracted, burdensome and expensive.”

The company said “a significant portion” of that payment is covered by insurance.

Shares of Mohawk stock closed Friday at about $114 a share, down from $161.33 a year ago. Five years ago, Mohawk was selling at $270.58 a share.

https://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-new...OR2QFXMCPJYGI/

I think we are seeing the beginning of a short lived bowl recession.

Mohawk doing a big expansion at Lexington, nc

Spotify laying off 600 workers now.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/spotify...-tech-layoffs/

Great now there will be ex-Spotify employees added to the list making sympathy posts on LinkedIn because they got laid off with massive severance packages, continued healthcare, and even job placement assistance. Boo-hoo.

I was laid off in June of 2020 amid the economic downturn that came with Covid. Know what I got? A 30 minute meeting telling me I was laid off, 8 months after I moved my family to South Carolina. And a few days of accrued PTO payout. That's it.

I didn't make whiny social media posts. I just busted my butt in a way worse economy then than what we have now, and was earning money again within a month.

Life sucks sometimes. Social media sympathy posts won't fix that, only working hard will.

Dow corporation cutting 2000 jobs.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wire...force-96685286

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post

I was laid off in June of 2020 amid the economic downturn that came with Covid. Know what I got? A 30 minute meeting telling me I was laid off, 8 months after I moved my family to South Carolina. And a few days of accrued PTO payout. That's it.
    Sorry you got laid off but it sounds like you landed on your feet. Where are you from?
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

He's from Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    I think we are seeing the beginning of a short lived bowl recession.

Wish I shared your optimism!

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    Sorry you got laid off but it sounds like you landed on your feet. Where are you from?
    Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    He's from Ohio.
    Lol shutup, Wob. From middle Tennessee.

Yea life throws curveballs at you sometimes. Honestly I've soared in my career since then and am enjoying the company I work for now way more than where I was. Blessing in disguise maybe?

Somebody forgot to send Nucor Steel the memo.

Up $13.15 per share today.............(8.39%).

Up 23.3 % in the last mth..

Up 33.3 % in the last 6 mos.

Last edited by Catdaddy; 01-26-2023 at 08:12 PM.

Ironic seeing most of layoffs in tech industry, they gonna have to put on real pants instead of working in pajamas while drinking their Starbucks

My guess is 75+% work from home and old saying “out of sight out of mind”. Technology is working itself out of need for humans as well as getting work done and better rates from Ahmed in Iran or that lady in the Philippines

Hate to see anyone get laid off though, really sucks for them but makes me wonder if they over hired during COVID and now demand has decreased back to normal
    Last edited by tprice; 01-26-2023 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    Lol shutup, Wob. From middle Tennessee.
    Hehe.

Go buckeyes.