Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer I killed and didn't find...need suggestions.

Berger VLDs. I’ve yet to have one flinch from a 7stw.

But I like to wait til they’re in the 4 wheeler path, spin my dials, and chop the neck in half.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    I'm around 30 or 40 deer in with 270 sst and or 7-08 sst and I have yet to lose a deer that was shot remoter close to the vitals
    I know man. I’ve never not recovered a rifle shot deer before this, and I have made some not-great shots that still killed the deer. I was on a bipod up front with stock resting on my pack and rock solid at 210. I can’t imagine I pulled it a foot right…when I was concentrating, and it felt great. Mystery, but it blows.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Nosler partition’s. If you can find them.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/produc...r-160-gr-hpbt/
    Find these in stock, they’ll do the job and more. There’s people in here that claim they kill “a lot” of deer. I kill a fucking lot of deer, more in a year than most kill in a decade. The sierra HPBT game kings take no prisoners and are very forgiving.

i shot a nice buck through the neck with eld-x 30.06 and the damn thing lived to get shot a mile way 3 weeks later. pics but i don’t know how to post them.
    Windows Down!

There is nothing wrong with that bullet, it’s right in its velocity window at 200 yds. If it’s accurate don’t change. Shit happens. You may have pulled the shot, guts plugged the hole and he was dead but not recovered. It’s a deer you, don’t need super bullets to kill one. None of the bullets listed would have killed him any deader.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Find these in stock, they’ll do the job and more. There’s people in here that claim they kill “a lot” of deer. I kill a fucking lot of deer, more in a year than most kill in a decade. The sierra HPBT game kings take no prisoners and are very forgiving.
    Beat me to it. Best bullet on the market. I shoot it out my 7 mag. 95% of the time there is no tracking job and the 5% there are, it’s not hard to follow.

Every horror story you have heard about nosler ballistic tip was from the old late 90s and early 2000s. The new ballistic tip holds together much better. This excludes varmint applications.

Accubonds are also great.

Another bullet to look into in the 7mm is the sierra hpbt gameking.

Honestly any rapid expansion bullet like sst or bt shouldn't fragment at the distances you are shooting. Bullet in the vitals is a dead deer.

Also, shit happens, you will lose a deer with a rifle eventually

This is the exact bullet I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Berger VLDs. I’ve yet to have one flinch from a 7stw.

But I like to wait til they’re in the 4 wheeler path, spin my dials, and chop the neck in half.
    This or Berger Hybrids in 168 grain. Never had one run farther than 10 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been shooting deer at long for a while now, and with berger vld's they are always anchored

Based off what you want, the Nosler Accubond will fit the bill.

The front half of the bullet will mushroom quickly and violently but the base of the bullet is bonded, which will stay together
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

It wasn’t the arrow, it was the indian. It happens. You pulled the shot. Get back in the saddle and go.
    Carolina Counsel

Just from what you posted, there is also a reasonable chance the deer was dead close by and you simply overlooked him. I've tracked deer for hours and eventually found them right under my nose snuggled into vegetation that didn't look like it could cover a mouse. Did you get a chance to go back a couple days later to look for buzzards? Not sure what the coyote situation is there but buzzards might not even get a chance at a deer.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    I know man. I’ve never not recovered a rifle shot deer before this, and I have made some not-great shots that still killed the deer. I was on a bipod up front with stock resting on my pack and rock solid at 210. I can’t imagine I pulled it a foot right…when I was concentrating, and it felt great. Mystery, but it blows.
    Was your gun dialed at a different distance? I know someone who did that, shot one at 400 and forgot to go back to zero and missed the 200yd shot.

Was your gun dialed at a different distance? I know someone who did that, shot one at 400 and forgot to go back to zero and missed the 200yd shot.
    That's why I like FFP scopes and graduated reticles on a hunting rifle. I never twist turrets but instead hold over. I'm not shooting over 3 or 4 hundred yards though and might resort to cranking knobs if I had to shoot much farther.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    That's why I like FFP scopes and graduated reticles on a hunting rifle. I never twist turrets but instead hold over. I'm not shooting over 3 or 4 hundred yards though and might resort to cranking knobs if I had to shoot much farther.
    Once you start dialing holding over becomes a thing of the past. My ocd helps as I check the turrets every time I look at the rifle. Shooting off a bipod and having a bag under the stock is an ideal scenario and it’s hard to muff that shot but it can happen when Adrenalin is pumping and you’re on the clock. I’ll admit I flat out missed one the first week of the season and when he stopped running I didn’t shoot again because I had the fever bad, killed him 3 days later thanks to the suppressor. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Just from what you posted, there is also a reasonable chance the deer was dead close by and you simply overlooked him. I've tracked deer for hours and eventually found them right under my nose snuggled into vegetation that didn't look like it could cover a mouse. Did you get a chance to go back a couple days later to look for buzzards? Not sure what the coyote situation is there but buzzards might not even get a chance at a deer.
    We got a decent snow three days later, and I went out and walked the property and adjacent properties again looking for coyote tracks, buzzards, eagles, magpies...hell anything that might show me where he was. Five hours, two cow carcasses, and a couple of dead coons later, I called it. I usually used to shoot for the front of the shoulder/base of the neck when I primarily gun hunted, and they usually went three feet straight down. I guess the whole double lung shot was engrained in my head from years and years of bowhunting. Anyhow, lesson learned. I appreciate all the info on the different bullets. It sucks; I'll get over it.

Nope, I checked that straight away, and it was on zeros. With the suppressor, there is no doubt when you hit or miss. The three deer I've shot with a suppressed gun all sounded like I shot a kettle-drum full of water; you notice the impact more than the report of the rifle.

Maybe I hit him high over the spine and he's out there feeling fine.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 01-14-2023 at 09:51 PM.