Thread: Spectrum Internet

Default Spectrum Internet

Am I better off just renting the equipment Spectrum provides for $5/month or buying my own? I realize it may take a few years for my own equipment t to pay for itself, but I’m also interested in the actual performance. I’ve read some things over the years suggesting the equipment Spectrum and other providers provide is not very good.

Not gonna bore you with a story, but my experience is to buy....

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

X2

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Buy

The only down side to buying is if you have an interruption of service the provider is going to try their hardest to convince you it's your shit that's broken and the next words out of their mouth is, "... if we send someone out and it's your equipment we're gonna charge you $$$$ for the call.
    I rent one router and one cable box. All of my other TVs and computers run off their built in wi fi. It's a small price to pay knowing that if shit breaks it's on them. If the router goes out the cable store is about 2 miles away and I can go pick it up.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 01-12-2023 at 05:57 PM.

Lease I need a bonus

Lease. When you have issues, and you will, you will get help with their equipment. They will drag their feet otherwise. Ask me how I know
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

How often does equipment get "out of date". What's purchase price?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

It looks like I can get some highly rated units under$200.

I wish it wasn’t Friday. I could really use 2th’s technological expertise.

I prefer to lease. Unless you need substantial wireless coverage. Most companies now offer a modem/wireless router combo. This means they will do the setup and provide support.

If you don't know how to fix issues, lease their stuff. I'd personally never run their routers, as they aren't always the perfect solution for your needs.

I spent 6 years in the field as a tech and another 5 years selling the stuff, here's my .02.

Just use theirs. I know it's a little more, but it's a gamble. Those modems have always been susceptible to being struck by lightning. If it gets fried and you own it, you're at least 1 day or so out regarding response time to get a tech out to confirm your modem is fried. Then you're a couple more days out to order a new one and shipping. Then the other issues mentioned on top of that. Other random issues come up as well, and if they suspect it's your modem you're stuck either way.

Whatever you do just don't use the wifi that's built in to the modem. The range sucks. Get you a mesh system, ie Eero, Nest, etc

Imo, juice isn't worth the squeeze. Just use theirs, so whatever hardware issue occurs is their problem not yours.

Last edited by willyworm; 01-14-2023 at 09:28 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

^^^ that's what I said (post# 5)
    1 cable box ($10) and 1 router ($5) = hassle free service if things stop working.

The cost of Expanded basic cable ($50) and internet ($60) is my bigger issue. Throw in additional fees/charges and my monthly total is $157.
    It really pisses me off to get Spectrum mailers for new accounts for half the price. I've been a Spectrum customer for 15+ years and they won't budge on my current rate package. Last time I called was advised I would need to leave for a few months and come back as a new customer. Total bullshit IMO.
    The only reason I stay is the overall reliability of the service. Cable box and Wi Fi router in MBedroom and solid signal to both ends of the house and in the garage.

I hate change but would like to lower the monthly cost. Probably start looking at other providers soon.

Pretty much the same with my Verizon cell phone service. Price continues to go up ( 2 phones/$94) but last time I switched to a lower cost provider that promised same or better coverage, turns out it was all bullshit.

Throw in Amazon streaming ($16) and total entertainment and phone service for the month is $267 a month. Doesn't sound like much until you look at the annual cost of $3,204.

Staying "connected" aint cheap.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 01-14-2023 at 10:08 AM.

I haven't worked for them in about 2 and a half years but I'll tell ya Spectrum doesn't give 2 shits about your feelings. They're in it to make money. They're gambling you'll keep paying it. Sounds like their gamble is paying off.

It sucks, I know. But if you want that new customer pricing, change providers then come back in 30 days. At least it used to be 30 days to get new customer pricing. They likely have changed the rules again.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    I spent 6 years in the field as a tech and another 5 years selling the stuff, here's my .02.

Just use theirs. I know it's a little more, but it's a gamble. Those modems have always been susceptible to being struck by lightning. If it gets fried and you own it, you're at least 1 day or so out regarding response time to get a tech out to confirm your modem is fried. Then you're a couple more days out to order a new one and shipping. Then the other issues mentioned on top of that. Other random issues come up as well, and if they suspect it's your modem you're stuck either way.

Whatever you do just don't use the wifi that's built in to the modem. The range sucks. Get you a mesh system, ie Eero, Nest, etc

Imo, juice isn't worth the squeeze. Just use theirs, so whatever hardware issue occurs is their problem not yours.

I agree, something goes wrong they jump on it, same with Direct TV.

I appreciate the responses. Sounds like using their equipment is the way to go.