Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 20 guage shot size

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I might carry an auto, but I will rarely ever shoot three times. It's there in case I try to triple. My father growing up would give me utter he'll if he ever saw or heard me shoot three times fast.. most of the time, by the third, that bird has turned. But I'm not picking. I will laugh at the feetdown thing.. if that bird is in range then I'm killing it, unless someone is calling shots on a pond.

Nice G
    I’ve shot my limit solo in 2 volleys more times than I can count. Heck I’ve killed 4 gadwalls in a volley only cause I had time to throw in one more shell. I’ve also missed 3Xs as many too lol
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    I’ve shot my limit solo in 2 volleys more times than I can count. Heck I’ve killed 4 gadwalls in a volley only cause I had time to throw in one more shell. I’ve also missed 3Xs as many too lol
    Damn right. No telling how many times I have whacked 3 mallards, blacks, wigeon, whatever in a volley. I have seen yours and mine killed in one 3 shot volley with CCLeroy and Millero standing there like wtf... #makeitrain

For those of us shooting small dense pellets, we're putting almost twice the amount of pellets on target with a load of #7 shot size than you guys shooting the same load of #4 steel. I think that is largely responsible for the recent rise in waterfowlers shooting sub gauges.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I'll be honest, I think I shoot my 20 gauge worse. It's light and whippy and just doesn't swing right. I like the weight of the 12 better. But I'm a heftier fella. Maybe the sub-gauges suit you fit and trim designer types better. More power to you, I say! I'll kill them with a stick if that's my only option, some days I might even be better off with it..
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I'll shoot anything.. but I'm not going to act like shooting a sub gauge makes you superior or gives you an excuse for missing.

Funny thing J, my first hunt south of the border shooting unplugged guns . It was difficult for me at first to go pass three, but not my father. Kinda on the same line, most of the time dove shooting down there they space you so far that it's not frowned upon shooting low birds. That was my toughest..

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Funny thing J, my first hunt south of the border shooting unplugged guns . It was difficult for me at first to go pass three, but not my father.
    He might know a thing or two about 7 shot Model 12's like the the Boykin crowd taught us. I saw James Galloway shoot 5 birds on a covey rise with his A5 more than once. I also saw several still living people shoot 7 mallard ducks with M12's...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    He might know a thing or two about 7 shot Model 12's like the the Boykin crowd taught us. I saw James Galloway shoot 5 birds on a covey rise with his A5 more than once. I also saw several still living people shoot 7 mallard ducks with M12's...
    Back when folks were killers and not ashamed to f some shit up!
    Last edited by Whackumstackum; 01-19-2023 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    For those of us shooting small dense pellets, we're putting almost twice the amount of pellets on target with a load of #7 shot size than you guys shooting the same load of #4 steel. I think that is largely responsible for the recent rise in waterfowlers shooting sub gauges.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Shot plenty of ducks with 7.5s ............. lead that is.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I was pretty young when I saw it the first time.. saw it first on a dove hunt as a kid, in Boykin, the second on a drive.

what's weird is that I've never owned a model 12, sometimes it makes me feel incomplete.. my father has one. I just don't know if I'd ever use it, but I don't have several old wingmasters from the 60s and 70s. I own the next model of the 12, looks like a 12, in a 20g youth, DU gun from the early 80s.

The only thing I can successfully do with a pump shotgun is straighten the trigger out. I can remember to shuck those things for the life of me. I started out with a single shot, then a side by side, then an over/under. I owned a Mossburg pump at one time in my life but sold it when I realized my brain isn't smart enough to remember to shuck.

I found a box of Remington Hypersonic Steel #2's in the closet and tried to get rid of them. My Franchi wouldn't cycle them.

Found a box of Remington Nitro Steel #2's in the closet, and it would cycle those fine.

Been shooting Winchester Drylok #4s since and doing pretty well. Probably my favorite out of the 3.

When I get all these steel gone I am going to order me some boss. Seems to be one of the more affordable bismuth shells and yall keep talking them up.

I believe Boss shells come 20 to a box, which makes them seem more affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by Scattergun View Post
    I believe Boss shells come 20 to a box, which makes them seem more affordable.
    That’s correct, and 200/case. They also have gone up around $50/case since last season. I’m switching back to “cheap” steel to finish the season out.