I'll try to be quick with the recap:

I'm in line at the pro desk of the Lowe's in Spartanburg. There's a person being checked-out, me, and then two people behind me. There're six other employees standing around, engaged in casual conversation. After about five minutes the dude behind me and me start exchanging the (WTF?) stare, so I start, quite noticeably, counting the employees. One then proceeds to ask why I'm counting them, to which I voice me and the other people in line's confusion about why there are more (*unoccupied) employees than customers, yet no one is willing to help us. They then jump on me about how they didn't know we were in line and that should've made ourselves known, and that they don't all work the register. Some poorly-raised young lady then asks me how I go through life being so miserable, which literally left me speechless for a second.

All this to say, I can recall a time when the customer was always right, and even if not, that's how you treated them. Those folks had nothing to say, until they were called out. And even then, they chose to fight rather than simply correct the situation. Further evidence of the state of our union. What would you have done under the same circumstances?