Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Customer Service

Default Customer Service

I'll try to be quick with the recap:

I'm in line at the pro desk of the Lowe's in Spartanburg. There's a person being checked-out, me, and then two people behind me. There're six other employees standing around, engaged in casual conversation. After about five minutes the dude behind me and me start exchanging the (WTF?) stare, so I start, quite noticeably, counting the employees. One then proceeds to ask why I'm counting them, to which I voice me and the other people in line's confusion about why there are more (*unoccupied) employees than customers, yet no one is willing to help us. They then jump on me about how they didn't know we were in line and that should've made ourselves known, and that they don't all work the register. Some poorly-raised young lady then asks me how I go through life being so miserable, which literally left me speechless for a second.

All this to say, I can recall a time when the customer was always right, and even if not, that's how you treated them. Those folks had nothing to say, until they were called out. And even then, they chose to fight rather than simply correct the situation. Further evidence of the state of our union. What would you have done under the same circumstances?
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Sadly that’s the norm. I used the pro desk the other day and the ditz for brains that would not know a hammer from her ass wanted to argue about the fact that there’s no such thing as an exemption ID number. I offered to walk her through it on the computer but she still didn’t take the hint. Manager time who also had a hard time figuring it out till I literally showed them both. Thanks for playing ladies. Everyone behind me looked pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    . What would you have done under the same circumstances?
    One of two things…

A)stood quietly in line till it was my turn, paid and left.

B) nicely asked one of the other employees if there was someone that could open another register.

My wife went lowes in monroe the other day to pick up a box of Bruce pre finished flooring and the guy in the flooring section said he'd load it for her then disappeared. Luckily some man spreading the gospel in the parking lot helped her load it.
    That's why they wear red vests so the idiots are easy to identify.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    One of two things…

A)stood quietly in line till it was my turn, paid and left.

B) nicely asked one of the other employees if there was someone that could open another register.
    I considered both of these options. However, I was taken aback when I was made to be the bad guy.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Admittedly didn't show the grace I should've, Glenn, but I struggle between extending grace and making what I believe to be valid points in such situations. Honest struggle for me.

The customer is not always right.

And should be told so when appropriate.

You can't teach people who were never taught to learn in the first place. It is the next generation's biggest challenge IMHO...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    You can't teach people who were never taught to learn in the first place. It is the next generation's biggest challenge IMHO...
    Could not agree more.

There’s a time and place for correction. Even though I’m sure they probably suck at their job, publicly calling someone out usually doesn’t have a positive impact. It’s a lose lose situation

Why be so vocal when you're called out then? How about be proactive on the front end and then you don't have to be reactive and defensive on the back.

And by "proactive" I mean "do the normal job that you're paid to do". Just so we're clear.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Truth bomb!!!

It’s why they’re working at Lowe’s but at least they’re working.

You went to the Walmart of hardware stores and are complaining about the service?

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    You went to the Walmart of hardware stores and are complaining about the service?
    This^^^^

I never have this problem at my local Ace or Lumberyard. People run me down to ask if I need any help...

Yeah, all customers haven't been right for a while, at least dealing with me. Society has become ruder in general, and I'm not going to tolerate it. I don't care what walk of life you are, nor your perceived value of self worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Admittedly didn't show the grace I should've, Glenn, but I struggle between extending grace and making what I believe to be valid points in such situations. Honest struggle for me.
    amen brother.

I'da used the race card if I had one.
    (joke and screw people that cant laugh at that)

the world has changed. not many people appreciate what you pointed out. its lost on them.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

"Customer is always right" mentality is a big part of the problem in the service industry. That said, customer service sucks everywhere pretty much
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I disagree, young whippersnapper.

if you go into it that the customer's happiness is the most important thing in the world, you provide better service. They dont have to "be right" but you can treat them like they are. It goes a long way.

I preach a lot to my staff that they have to have pride in the final product. The lowe's employees that BB ran into have absolutely no pride in working for Lowe's. They dont care what the public perceives of the store. They dont care about the products offered or service provided. Until they do, nothing will change.

Its sad.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.