Thread: Trailer repair question ?

Default Trailer repair question ?

Last Sunday my trailer with SXS on it was rear ended

Trailer took all the hit, damage to truck seems to be just bumper and Reese Hitch (according to body shop and I agree)

However big issue is trailer

Tandem axle 16’ trailer , the tongue looks bent and can not get the hitch ball out (had to pull pin on hitch and pull truck away from trailer ) Body shop guy told me problem could be tracking on trailer since it was hit very hard in left rear Other damage to trailer is bent back of it plus ramp and ramp hinge pin bent (can not move ramp much at all but that probably easy fix )

Body shop I took truck to told me he does not work on trailers and other shops I called told me same thing.

Just got off phone with State Farm (other drivers insurance ) and they are trying to locate someone to come inspect it as well . I was just going to get it taken to welding shop and have new tongue on it but after looking at it today more damage than I realized

Any recommendations on trailer repair in Anderson area ? Very good solid trailer but it is old (pull it to Illinois every year ) Seems like it is a 6K rated trailer (haul my tractor on it)

Also chances on being repairable , I am not sure it can be repaired or not ? I know enough to be dangerous but that is about it

IMG_0105.jpegIMG_0104.jpeg
    Last edited by tprice; 11-12-2023 at 10:55 AM.

I’d lobby that State Farm needs to cut you a check for the trailer and then it’s their problem. Everything is fixable but I’ll be dammed if I’d tow that thing half way across the country again. From the pictures you posted that trailer took one hell of a lick.
    Last edited by Whackumstackum; 11-12-2023 at 10:09 AM.

Let State Farm buy you a new trailer.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I am all for fixing things up, but sometimes you have to consider the safety issue. I agree, I think I would ask for the value of the trailer and get another.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Quote Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
    I am all for fixing things up, but sometimes you have to consider the safety issue. I agree, I think I would ask for the value of the trailer and get another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    I’d lobby that State Farm needs to cut you a check for the trailer and then it’s their problem. Everything is fixable but I’ll be dammed if I’d tow that thing half way across the country again. From the pictures you posted that trailer took one hell of a lick.

Kind of what I was thinking, figured some of you guys know lot more about this stuff than I do
    Last edited by tprice; 11-12-2023 at 11:07 AM.

Looks totaled to me. They should pay you actual cash value.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Ditto on the new trailer. That’s on the other guy and State Farm.

If you choose to buy it back at a salvage price to have an extra one around, there is a welding shop in Williamston who did a good job on my friend’s trailer earlier this year at a good price, but he only takes cash. He could at least tell you if it’s even worth thinking about.

Steve Burgess @ (864) 844-1920
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Unfortunately I would say it's toast. Hopefully the give you enough money to get something similar

My work trailer was rear ended, I had a local commercial truck/trailer repair company write up a quote to the tune of what a new trailer would cost. Insurance company wrote me a check for that amount and I kept the old trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    My work trailer was rear ended, I had a local commercial truck/trailer repair company write up a quote to the tune of what a new trailer would cost. Insurance company wrote me a check for that amount and I kept the old trailer.
    This!

TNJ Trailers on Hwy 25 south out of Greenville. Mark is a good guy and will give you an honest answer.

I will be glad to take the old one off your hands if you get to keep it.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    I will be glad to take the old one off your hands if you get to keep it.
    Will keep you in mind but last time this happened they wanted me to buy the trailer but that one was truly screwed , rollback driver had hard time getting it on truck without hanging off

I wouldnt keep it but take it to TNJ

Damn this like a monkey F’in the football

Trying to explain to out of state claim reps you have NO model number, year , VIN or tag for a TRAILER