Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shin Splints

Default Shin Splints

I'm trying to be more active in this new year. The goal is to lose about 30 lbs. I'm starting out fairly slow by walking every morning. I'm typically walking between 2-3 miles each morning, but I'm having issues with pain on both sides of my shins in both legs. I know shin splits is a generic term, but how do you alleviate the pain? I tried mixing in some running, and of course the pain gets worse. I don't want to "rest" my legs, because that just makes it easier to not do what I need to. Some days are better than others. Will this eventually go away after some strengthening is done? I'd like to graduate from the walking to some running and join up with the local F3 crowd in the future. Could it be my shoes etc or could something else be going on? I know a lot is mental, but when it gets difficult it makes it hard to continue what I'm doing considering I'm walking short laps in the neighborhood currently.

Medial tibial stress syndrome. Very common.

Rest
    Stretching
    Ice
    Diclofenac gel
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

How long you been walking now? Few weeks/days? Pain go away with walking or get worse as you go/warm up? How old are your shoes type of shoes? Would you consider your feet flat or high arch?

MTSS/shin splints can be caused by a laundry list of things but with the correct gradual build up of exercise is should not be an issue for long. The biggest factor from the recent research I have read and some anecdotal info…. It is the to much to quickly that leads to it 90% of the time. Depending on some of your above answers as you lose weight and gradually stress the bones it will go away.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Cross training will reduce shin splints, kind sir. Walk one day, ride the bike the next, do a youtube low impact cardio workout on day 3, etc. You'll not only give your shins a break but you'll develop your core muscles.

You may even want to only do cardio every other day and do resistance training of some sort on those off-days.

Watch David Goggin videos and keep going.

Just kidding. I have a hard time with shin splints and sore soleus muscles also. Usually when I try to push myself a little too hard. If it’s an annoying pain I keep going but I have had it take me out a week or two also. Good shoes help. May even be worth having a running company observe how you walk/run on a treadmill and match your shoes accordingly.

Wanted to add that proper stretching before I go has helped more than anything. A lot of good YouTube videos on good pre run stretches.
    Last edited by Cwaysvt; 01-10-2023 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    How long you been walking now? Few weeks/days? Pain go away with walking or get worse as you go/warm up? How old are your shoes type of shoes? Would you consider your feet flat or high arch?

MTSS/shin splints can be caused by a laundry list of things but with the correct gradual build up of exercise is should not be an issue for long. The biggest factor from the recent research I have read and some anecdotal info…. It is the to much to quickly that leads to it 90% of the time. Depending on some of your above answers as you lose weight and gradually stress the bones it will go away.
    Really walking every day since Jan 2. Shoes are not old and are in good shape. Pain only comes during the morning walks. I'm good throughout the rest of the day. In other words I believe it's the stress of the "strenuous" walking. Just looking for a way to alleviate the pain.

Take a piece of PVC pipe and roll your shins out, make sure your calves are loose too. Seemed to help me.

Quote Originally Posted by w33kender View Post
    Cross training will reduce shin splints, kind sir. Walk one day, ride the bike the next, do a youtube low impact cardio workout on day 3, etc. You'll not only give your shins a break but you'll develop your core muscles.

You may even want to only do cardio every other day and do resistance training of some sort on those off-days.
    I've thought about this too, but I don't have a bike, and my house doesn't accommodate me doing a workout without waking up those that are sleeping. I thought about joining a gym, but the idea of paying to walk and/or ride a bike doesn't sit well with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwaysvt View Post

Just kidding. I have a hard time with shin splints and sore soleus muscles also. Usually when I try to push myself a little too hard. If it’s an annoying pain I keep going but I have had it take me out a week or two also. Good shoes help. May even be worth having a running company observe how you walk/run on a treadmill and match your shoes accordingly.

Wanted to add that proper stretching before I go has helped more than anything. A lot of good YouTube videos on good pre run stretches.
    This is my next step. When I was younger, and running a lot more (basic training etc) I didn't seem to have these issues. It could be a weight thing, but I don't know. I'm 6'3" 265 now so I'm not obese in my opinion, but I'd like to get back to 230-240.

Make sure you are stretching before you start. Even if its just walking. stand facing a wall, put toes on wall, and lean towards wall to stretch your calf . bend over at the waist and hand arms towards feet to stretch you hamstrings. Those muscles along with the hips will absorb most of the "shock" when walking/running. Work on strengthening them and it will greatly reduce your pain... stretch before and after. Also hydrate to help reduce lactic acid and muscle fatigue. Ibuprofen and ice after to help the pain when first getting started.

One other thing may be go to a good shoe store that can custom fit a pair of inserts to your foot. I struggle with shin splints due to my flat no arch feet. A custom set of inserts has greatly reduced the issue, and I now do exercises every day to "strengthen" the foot arch muscle in my foot.

I am in the same boat as you, slightly Overweight and haven't worked out in over 10 years. I have the advantage of having a physical therapist as a spouse. These were the tips she gave me when she saw me struggling.
    Last edited by Fireman; 01-10-2023 at 10:26 AM.

Foam rolling...do it. Plus already mentioned treatments.

And don't wait to join the local F3 group. Go now...you wont regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    Make sure you are stretching before you start. Even if its just walking. stand facing a wall, put toes on wall, and lean towards wall to stretch your calf . bend over at the waist and hand arms towards feet to stretch you hamstrings. Those muscles along with the hips will absorb most of the "shock" when walking/running. Work on strengthening them and it will greatly reduce your pain... stretch before and after. Also hydrate to help reduce lactic acid and muscle fatigue. Ibuprofen and ice after to help the pain when first getting started.

One other thing may be go to a good shoe store that can custom fit a pair of inserts to your foot. I struggle with shin splints due to my flat no arch feet. A custom set of inserts has greatly reduced the issue, and I now do exercises every day to "strengthen" the foot arch muscle in my foot.

I am in the same boat as you, slightly Overweight and haven't worked out in over 10 years. I have the advantage of having a physical therapist as a spouse. These were the tips she gave me when she saw me struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    Foam rolling...do it. Plus already mentioned treatments.

And don't wait to join the local F3 group. Go now...you wont regret it.
    I thought I remembered you were part of a group. Our local group does "boot camp" on M and F with running on W. I know I'll have to pace myself to not "keep up". I'm sure I'm older than most in the group. I'll reach out to the leader to confirm they are still meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwaysvt View Post
    That dude is a lunatic....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

So I didn’t read what all was mentioned above. A few things that can help…. Take a hot shower before hand after the shower stretch and roll out your calf’s and the front part of your leg (do the stretch and rolling before you run and after). Pain should get better as you gradually get use to the exercise then you can gradually increase your loads.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Who’s gonna carry the boats?

Stretch, icyhot, GOOD SHOES, don't over do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

All of the above and good insoles. Spenco makes good ones with support. Not cheap doctor sholes crap. I buy shoes and promptly rip insoles out and replace.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Dang straight. Toughest man on the planet.

Running is cowardice

Not just new but quality shoes.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler