Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thumb Releases

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    Relaxing your wrist is the method the bow shop tried to explain to me how to release. Ill try releasing with back tension.
    That allows movement in your shot which is what you want. Focus on the movement by talking yourself through it and don’t worry about aiming the pin will come back to center naturally
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    I assume my issues are called target panic. There are time where I’ll snatch my head or jerk the bow in anticipation of me releasing the arrow. It’s almost like I anticipate the release so I can watch the arrow hit the target. It’s probably funny as hell as a bystander to see it happen.
    Shooting with your eyes closed and focusing solely on anchor/form/release can help with this quite a bit. Shoot 10 arrows that way, then go aim/shoot one your normal way.

y'all sound like a bunch of golfers with the yips teaching each other how to putt.

I've never heard of half the shit yall have up in your heads.

If you think a thumb trigger thingie is gonna help your target anxiety, you have already lost.

Just put the damn pin on the 10 ring and let 'er fly.

Hope this helps.
    The voice of reason.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    y'all sound like a bunch of golfers with the yips teaching each other how to putt.

I've never heard of half the shit yall have up in your heads.

If you think a thumb trigger thingie is gonna help your target anxiety, you have already lost.

Just put the damn pin on the 10 ring and let 'er fly.

Hope this helps.
    The voice of reason.
    If your happy with your pie plate groups then carry on
    80-20 Genaration

i'm happy that I dont teach a young hunter all the physcological worries that can come with bow hunting.

I dont miss deer and I'm not shooting competition targets.

I'm just letting people know there is another way to go about it....

i'm happy that I dont teach a young hunter all the physcological worries that can come with bow hunting.

I dont miss deer and I'm not shooting competition targets.

I'm just letting people know there is another way to go about it....
    Lets hear your way to go about it?

aim small, miss small?

i dont know. I dont put too much thought into it. I draw the bow back, find my kisser button, and put the pin where I want the arrow to go and let it go.

I remember people talking on here about "aiming low" but i just cant get myself to do that, either. I think I try to remember to bend at the waist, but I aint sure.

I guess I take the mental game out of it with my small brain.

Wise choice

i know, right?

people in this thread are livid with me bc I go against the grain. I'm an asshole bc I dont nitpick my thumb release decreasing my target anxiety will working against creep or whatever bullshit some website made up.

there's a great big world out there on the www that I chose not to peruse.

it uncomplicates things for me.
    now go finish my damn survey so I can finish my island and build a wall.

There are levels to every hobby.

"aim small miss small" just doesn't get you very far in the archery world if you want to increase your skill level.
    "aim small miss small" is all you need to know if you want to kill deer at 25 yards.

I know its hard to believe, but people are different. Some people are ok with being mediocre at everything they pursue. Some folks are ok with sucking at everything they do. Some folks like to get as good as they can at the things they do, even if it means wasting time learning silly shit from the internet.

You aren't an asshole 2thDoc, just mediocre.

what "archery world"? If I was shooting targets competitively, I would certainly sing a different tune. Of all the things I know, the fact that people are different is certainly one of them.

my only point of replying to this thread (that I wish I hadnt) was to let some archers know that a thumb release may not cure anything and that "target anxiety" is better fixed between your ears, not buying new gear. That's it.

I shoot deer at 25 yards and am successful. I use a 20yr old bow that isn't "tuned." I dont practice.

Dont listen to me when I give any advice on archery.

i mean....how hard is it to hit a fish at 7 steps?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    That allows movement in your shot which is what you want. Focus on the movement by talking yourself through it and don’t worry about aiming the pin will come back to center naturally
    Someone told you to move your wrist when shooting back tension?

The quickest way to get over target panic is to blind bag.

Set a bag up 5-10 yards from you, draw your bow, close your eyes, and shoot into the bag. Focus on the release and not the target.

Y’all have made shooting a bow way more difficult than it really is.

There are very few “true back tension” releases on the market. If you have to roll your wrist to shoot one, you are doing it wrong.

what "archery world"? If I was shooting targets competitively, I would certainly sing a different tune. Of all the things I know, the fact that people are different is certainly one of them.

my only point of replying to this thread (that I wish I hadnt) was to let some archers know that a thumb release may not cure anything and that "target anxiety" is better fixed between your ears, not buying new gear. That's it.

I shoot deer at 25 yards and am successful. I use a 20yr old bow that isn't "tuned." I dont practice.

Dont listen to me when I give any advice on archery.

i mean....how hard is it to hit a fish at 7 steps?
    Asshole.

?
    Agreed 100%
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    Someone told you to move your wrist when shooting back tension?

The quickest way to get over target panic is to blind bag.

Set a bag up 5-10 yards from you, draw your bow, close your eyes, and shoot into the bag. Focus on the release and not the target.

Y’all have made shooting a bow way more difficult than it really is.

There are very few “true back tension” releases on the market. If you have to roll your wrist to shoot one, you are doing it wrong.
    They’re a different in just shooting and bow and shooting well. When it comes to taking and animal I think people need to take it a little more seriously. Keeping it in a paper plate at 20 yards doesn’t cut it in my opinion. I can keep it in a goofball at 20 and a softball at 40.

Yes I shoot a hinge but not with back tension but by pivoting my wrist and that’s the movement I concentrate on in my shot process. Not aiming.

Bland bale will not fix target panic. Soon as you go back to shooting at a dot again and start think about aiming and not your shot process you will punch it
    80-20 Genaration

80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    They’re a different in just shooting and bow and shooting well. When it comes to taking and animal I think people need to take it a little more seriously. Keeping it in a paper plate at 20 yards doesn’t cut it in my opinion. I can keep it in a goofball at 20 and a softball at 40.

Yes I shoot a hinge but not with back tension but by pivoting my wrist and that’s the movement I concentrate on in my shot process. Not aiming.

Bland bale will not fix target panic. Soon as you go back to shooting at a dot again and start think about aiming and not your shot process you will punch it
    Blind bag is all about muscle memory and following through. Shooting a bow is muscle memory. We will stick to having different opinions on this.