Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thumb Releases

Default Thumb Releases

I just got back into bow hunting. Always have shot a wrist index release. Everybody i see now is shooting thumb releases or hinge releases. I have been researching them online and they suppose to help with accuracy because they help with target panic and punching the trigger.

Anybody on here use one? Pros, cons

I am 6’3 with big hands so would the 3 or 4 finger be better. I am going to ride to the bow shop and see if i can shoot a couple but figured i would see what yall thought of them.

I use a Stan sx3 and a Stan Onnex. The later is a resistance release. It helps you to pull thru the shot. The sx3 is a thumb release. I fine my self shooting and hunting with the onnex but I know that’s not everyone’s thing. It I can’t finish my shot process on a deer I let down.

Beware that most come in different sizes for different size hands.
    Last edited by Clippedtoe; 01-09-2023 at 01:35 AM.

Default Thumb Releases

I have the Stan shootoff. Bought it used from archerytalk pretty cheap. I like how it locks with full enclosure around my d loop

You can go to Stan’s website and printout full scale picture of the release to get a feel for hand size. They make different sizes of each release
    Last edited by Gone South; 01-08-2023 at 11:28 PM.

1) your bow shop will have very few to try. There are just so many of them and it’s not a hot seller
    2) go with a 2 or 3 finger. Letting your pinkie rest free is a lot more comfortable
    3) Stan makes the best releases, followed closely by Carter. Then there is the rest.
    4) A Stan oneEx thumb has an obnoxious amount of adjustments. You can change everything about the release to figure out what you like.
    5) A XL is a huge release. Unless you have bear paws most dudes with bigger hands are fine in a large.

Jeffery’s archery in Columbia has a few. Enough for you to figure out size and try some. That is if you can stomach the service and attitudes.
    Last edited by Clippedtoe; 01-09-2023 at 01:35 AM.

Switching to thumb release helped my shooting a lot. I shoot the Nock2It by Carter and like it a lot.

Making the switch to a thumb button release was a game changer for me as well. I have the 3 and 4 finger version of the same release. I much prefer the 3 finger. It seems to be easier for me to anchor it exactly the same each time. The tension or lack of tension you put on that 4th finger can cause consistency issues (minor) if you arent paying attention.

Stanalawski shoot off is what I use and it helped my accuracy tremendously.

I also think arrows being under or over spined causes people more issues than hey realize.

I havent done it but I have always wanted to get me a dozen .001 arrows, the correct spine, and index them just to see the difference in them
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

For those using the thumb release what adjustments to your bow do you need to do? Just lengthen the draw length by .5 inches or so?

I shot better with a thumb release. I was alot more consistent.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Guess I'm the loner. I bought a thumb release a few years ago and just didn't like it. I couldn't stay as consistent with my anchor as I can my strap release. Maybe I need to dig it out and spend some more time with it.
    Last edited by StrutnBPS; 01-09-2023 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbduck View Post
    For those using the thumb release what adjustments to your bow do you need to do? Just lengthen the draw length by .5 inches or so?
    Depends on the length of the neck on the release. The ultraview is pretty long, the Carter and Scott are pretty short. The Stan is in the middle.

I bought a thumb release, paid a good bit for it, thinking it would help me with my target panic I get from time to time. Nope, I've gone back to my wrist / trigger type release. I'll spend more time with the thumb release this off season. I just don't think I'm firing the thumb release correctly; I feel I'm still slapping the release, just with the thumb now. I do like the idea of clipping the thumb release to my D loop and letting it hang while sitting in the stand.
    Last edited by scmoose; 01-09-2023 at 09:57 AM.

If you’re having target panic troubles then go with a hinge release and work on your shot process. You will punch a thumb button. Also look at Joel Turners Shot IQ. Worth the money
    80-20 Genaration

I assume my issues are called target panic. There are time where I’ll snatch my head or jerk the bow in anticipation of me releasing the arrow. It’s almost like I anticipate the release so I can watch the arrow hit the target. It’s probably funny as hell as a bystander to see it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    I assume my issues are called target panic. There are time where I’ll snatch my head or jerk the bow in anticipation of me releasing the arrow. It’s almost like I anticipate the release so I can watch the arrow hit the target. It’s probably funny as hell as a bystander to see it happen.
    There are several shooting drills that can help with target panic. A quick google search will give you many. Some they just require a piece of string and your release, others can be done actually shooting the bow. I will add that if you’re punching a thumb release, then look at some good videos on how to properly use one. For me personally my thumb barrel actually sits in the pocket of my thumb and index finger. Squeezing my shoulder blade forces me to pull thru the shot, pushing the barrel into my hand to fire. I don’t push with my thumb is what I’m trying to say.

For anyone that may want to watch. With the price of the releases you can compare it to aftermarket triggers. The expensive ones are crisp and smooth. Cheaper ones not so much.
    Last edited by Clippedtoe; 01-09-2023 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    Yes that’s a form of target panic. Only way to fix it correctly is to have a shot process that you talk yourself through to keep you mind from filling up with the things that cause target panic
    80-20 Genaration

Look up Joel Turner on YouTube and get and idea about his program.
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Yes that’s a form of target panic. Only way to fix it correctly is to have a shot process that you talk yourself through to keep you mind from filling up with the things that cause target panic
    thanks.

Relaxing your wrist is the method the bow shop tried to explain to me how to release. Ill try releasing with back tension.