Thread: Leases--What are you paying?

Default Leases--What are you paying?

Just curious-- what are ya'll paying per acre in SC for the land you lease to hunt on? Tell me a little about your private piece or club land--what county is it located in and how much does it cost you? I am a member of a club in Calhoun County on the Congaree River that consists of about 1800 acres and we are paying $16.50 per acre. We have deer, hogs, turkeys, small game and access to the river. We have our annual meeting coming up soon and I would like to know how our lease compares to others. Thanks in advance for the replies.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

Also might want to ask if it has ag fields, barn for equipment, and/or a clubhouse.

My club consists of timber company property and private landowners. They all differ. We pay as little as $12/acre and as much as $21/acre.

Around $13 but club house and power bill bumps that up to $15. Timber Leases go up every year about 3% but most timber management co don’t have anything available. So that is that. Club members break off to bid for a “better situation or more control.” Been running a club for 25 years and things never change just the faces. Lately not even the faces as we are really low on members. I juSt subsidize the cost to keep the BS down. New members are a pain in the ass generally speaking.
    Last edited by centurian; 01-07-2023 at 03:58 PM.

$10. All timber land. Only hardwoods are what they couldn't access to cut
    Last edited by TheVisorGuy; 01-07-2023 at 03:56 PM.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster13 View Post
    Just curious-- what are ya'll paying per acre in SC for the land you lease to hunt on? Tell me a little about your private piece or club land--what county is it located in and how much does it cost you? I am a member of a club in Calhoun County on the Congaree River that consists of about 1800 acres and we are paying $16.50 per acre. We have deer, hogs, turkeys, small game and access to the river. We have our annual meeting coming up soon and I would like to know how our lease compares to others. Thanks in advance for the replies.
    We were paying $16ac 2 decades ago right down river from you, so I would say that you are certainly in a decent situation...

About $5,000 / month ... But it's big ... Real big ... And I'm the only member ... And I own it.

The ideal hunting club is one man by himself ... Add members, add problems.

For many, many years I was the club President ... Put up with all the BS, did all the negotiations, wound up being the "Bank", kept all the pacifiers clean and ready to be sucked on,......and etc.....and etc.

Swore it I ever found a way, I'd own my own.

For the Life of me, I don't see how people can justify paying those rates nowadays ... We used to have, (30 +/- yrs ago) about 10,000 ac and it was averaging around $3 /ac ... Looks like things have gone way up ... Would be hard for me to justify that much cash outlay without having "control".

By God, I think I'd go buy me a little place out in the country and hunt on it by myself ... Even if it was just big enough for 1 stand ... Land has always been a solid investment anyway.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised ... 30 yrs ago Diesel fuel was $0.75 / gal too.........

The day is coming when the USA will look like Europe when it comes to hunting privileges.

After 30 years of owning property to hunt, we sold the farm this summer. Since then I have been looking for a lease (at almost any price) and found nothing available. Have never been in a club but with all the horror stories I hear I guess I will continue to search for a lease, so I am looking forward to seeing more posts on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    We were paying $16ac 2 decades ago right down river from you, so I would say that you are certainly in a decent situation...
    I’d also add I wouldn’t personally share that info on here. Next thing you know someone offers $20.00 or more for the same lease.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Dang, I need to adjust my price. I'm leasing my farm out for $7.50 per acre.

400 acres in Lynchburg

320 avresMixed hardwood and pine

80 acres ag fields

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 01-07-2023 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Dang, I need to adjust my price. I'm leasing my farm out for $7.50 per acre.

400 acres in Lynchburg

320 avresMixed hardwood and pine

80 acres ag fields

How far of a ride is that from Lexington?
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    How far of a ride is that from Lexington?
    Probably an hour.

Pm sent CD

Proximity to a town such as Greenville affects your price too. We pay about $14/acre for a small tract (under 200 acres). Only really big enough for about 3 guys. We are all friends and one barely hunts so it’s not an issue that it’s small. Can’t really “manage” it but we try. All mixed timber with some nice hardwoods and thicker pines. Big tracts are next to impossible to find up here. The ones that do exist are never up for grabs.

Damn. I got a acre with a covered house and it is up for lease if you want to kill a deer. No kill no pay. 22-mag or less is all that is allowed. Shot a bow through the window and killed a nice one this year I shit you not. Buncha yuppie's on this site now. God Bless them. It ain't that tough
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Swift Strike View Post
    About $5,000 / month ... But it's big ... Real big ... And I'm the only member ... And I own it.

The ideal hunting club is one man by himself ... Add members, add problems.

For many, many years I was the club President ... Put up with all the BS, did all the negotiations, wound up being the "Bank", kept all the pacifiers clean and ready to be sucked on,......and etc.....and etc.

Swore it I ever found a way, I'd own my own.

For the Life of me, I don't see how people can justify paying those rates nowadays ... We used to have, (30 +/- yrs ago) about 10,000 ac and it was averaging around $3 /ac ... Looks like things have gone way up ... Would be hard for me to justify that much cash outlay without having "control".

By God, I think I'd go buy me a little place out in the country and hunt on it by myself ... Even if it was just big enough for 1 stand ... Land has always been a solid investment anyway.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised ... 30 yrs ago Diesel fuel was $0.75 / gal too.........

The day is coming when the USA will look like Europe when it comes to hunting privileges.
    How many acres did you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Swift Strike View Post
    You’d be surprised how many people can’t wait for that to happen either.

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    I’d also add I wouldn’t personally share that info on here. Next thing you know someone offers $20.00 or more for the same lease.
    Yep always keep your mouth shut about hunting land prices.

435 acres. I pay zero and invest thousands in time and materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmet Gobbler View Post
    435 acres. I pay zero and invest thousands in time and materials.
    Hell yeah