Thread: How much is too much?

Default How much is too much?

Looking to buy my oldest a newer vehicle. She currently has an 06 4Runner with 232k miles. My plan is pass this along to her sister. I'm looking at SUVs, but I keep coming back to a 2012 4Runner that is within our price range, but as about 12k more miles on it than the '06. I'd assume that most of these are highway miles, but I don't want to put her in something newer that may have more issues. I know Toyotas can last forever, but this is something she will drive for the next four years at a minimum... back and forth from Greenville to Anderson. Anything I should be concerned about or look for? Her next car will be on her own.
    Last edited by Luvin' Labs; 01-05-2023 at 02:22 PM.

Personally, I would not buy newer with more miles unless there was a significant model change. My son has a 2003 4Runner with the 4.0 world engine and I would not consider anything. The only caveat would be if the newer one had a better history like you knew it was a one owner and you knew the owner. Otherwise, buy her a new stereo and get her current on detailed. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

IMO the mileage concern is more of a "the rest of the vehicle" and weather it has been maintained like the Suspension, ball joints, etc. Its always a gamble. But in the end with new/used car prices, rebuild it with new engine/trans and suspension and still pocket money. $4-6K in work to save $20K+ on a newer used purchase.

It amazes me with the miles on used vehicles these days.... every truck I've looked at from a 2017-2021 seems to have 150K or more miles on it not even mentioning most still have a $40k price tag... Hell I drive an 05' that only has 215K on it and drove it almost 60 miles round trip to work for 2 years.... Am I really just a boring person that doesn't go anywhere?

I have a 2004 Ram with 185,000 on it and I damn sure aint boring.

Moving parts that are going to wear down and break with miles are going to on just about any vehicle outside of engine/drivetrain. High miles is certainly a deciding factor but documented maintenance history, following manufacturers recommended maintenance and overall condition of the vehicle is a huge part.
    I would not buy the 4 runner you mentioned for a child given your situation with already owning one. Give it a good tune up, fix anything that needs fixing, wash it. If you are feeling real sporty paint it. My neighbors daughter is driving an older xterra with a fresh paint job and it looks great, runs fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    Looking to buy my oldest a newer vehicle. She currently has an 06 4Runner with 232k miles. My plan is pass this along to her sister. I'm looking at SUVs, but I keep coming back to a 2012 4Runner that is within our price range, but as about 12k more miles on it than the '06. I'd assume that most of these are highway miles, but I don't want to put her in something newer that may have more issues. I know Toyotas can last forever, but this is something she will drive for the next four years at a minimum... back and forth from Greenville to Anderson. Anything I should be concerned about or look for? Her next car will be on her own and most likely it will be found on abetter.bid. Never seen better value for money ratio.
    Toyota 4Runner is known for its reliability and durability, so you should feel confident in choosing one for your daughter. I guess that 150k miles would be a good deal overall.
    Last edited by Smiller; 03-01-2023 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    Looking to buy my oldest a newer vehicle. She currently has an 06 4Runner with 232k miles. My plan is pass this along to her sister. I'm looking at SUVs, but I keep coming back to a 2012 4Runner that is within our price range, but as about 12k more miles on it than the '06. I'd assume that most of these are highway miles, but I don't want to put her in something newer that may have more issues. I know Toyotas can last forever, but this is something she will drive for the next four years at a minimum... back and forth from Greenville to Anderson. Anything I should be concerned about or look for? Her next car will be on her own.
    I’m on my third one for my two girls. One got hit rolled and totaled and saved her from any serious harm. I don’t know your price range but from what I see you can get one with under 200k miles in the 10-12 price range. If you’re under that you’re prob going to be over 200k miles anyway. Good news is there are a lot of these things around.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...firstRecord=25
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.