Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: External gas tank for generator

That's a gravity system tho right? The only concern I had about a gravity system is what if a fitting leaked at the generator cap with a hot generator running?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Told Ya!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

That's why I made a siphon style system using a boat fuel tank. I was nervous about an elevated tank.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    That's a gravity system tho right? The only concern I had about a gravity system is what if a fitting leaked at the generator cap with a hot generator running?
    Especially with what looks like zip ties used for tube clamps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

That's why I made a siphon style system using a boat fuel tank. I was nervous about an elevated tank.
    Depends on if the generator has a fuel pump. I have a setup that can run Honda 2000’s off of a boat gas tank. Honda’s have fuel pumps that pull the siphon. Predator (Harbor Freight) generators don’t have fuel pumps so gravity is the only way it works.

Not sure about Ryobi.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

If I set the boat tank on a shelf in the shed and then squeeze the primer bulb, will that start a siphon process to fuel my predator? The boat tank pic I posted above is what I'm using. I'd test run it here at home but my generator is at camp 750 miles away.

If I set the boat tank on a shelf in the shed and then squeeze the primer bulb, will that start a siphon process to fuel my predator? The boat tank pic I posted above is what I'm using. I'd test run it here at home but my generator is at camp 750 miles away.
    There are several websites and Youtube channels that will answer all questions, and then some, that you have.

just start searching "Predator external gas tank" or similar.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Similar problem on baby girls buggy.

Bad design. Fuel tank isnt high enough. It starves for fuel once it's at 1/4 tank or lower, (took a lot of trial and error to figure that out).

I'd go with gravity feed unless there's a fuel pump on the engine. Enough fuel hose to have a dip in the line in the event of a leak from improperly assembled modifications.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

How do you like the Ryobi generator?

It has been pretty solid. I got it refurbished at Home Depot for $350ish. Only issue i have had was a cracked gas tank that i was able to fix. It won’t run a window unit, but powers everything else at the cabin.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Quote Originally Posted by dmatheny21 View Post
    It has been pretty solid. I got it refurbished at Home Depot for $350ish. Only issue i have had was a cracked gas tank that i was able to fix. It won’t run a window unit, but powers everything else at the cabin.
    I run a 5000 btu window unit with my little 2000 watt Predator along with general lighting and a small dorm fridge. When it's cold it'll run a 1200 watt space heater. These little generators are the ticket to saving on fuel and having to listen to obnoxiously loud generators.

I will take the LOUD to run my well pump and just about everything else. But for a hunt camp I am with ya!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

You were getting air from somewhere if the vacuum from the generator fuel tank draw wasn't
    pulling it from the remote tank.