Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corn Feeder Recommendations

Default Corn Feeder Recommendations

For the last 10 years or so, I haven't really hunted corn piles for deer. I usually have an Ag field, or some natural feeding area that I could always go to and see a deer or two. This past season, I started corning up a spot for my daughter to hunt/shoot that would be a little more predictable and kid friendly....It worked great. I have a perfect little spot between two cutovers that is flat loaded with deer. Well, at $10/bag, the 4 deer that got killed from this stand cost more per pound than Prime beef.

There are anywhere between 15-25 deer that frequent this spot. I can drop 2 bags of corn at noon, and by dark the big group of horse head doe deer are munching down. They will eat it all night until its gone. I think I would have better luck with a feeder setup, where they get just enough corn to keep them around, but not $40 per week worth.

I don't have any turkeys in this spot, so I plan on getting it set up within the next month or so and keep it fed all year to get the deer used to it.

I'm looking for suggestions, tips, tricks, etc., What kind of feeder do it need? What Brands to stay away from? etc etc etc.

Thanks in advance!

Dont do the ones that turn on at dawn and dusk.

I have mine on timers that spit it out at noon.

The plastic ones are shit. Bears have ruined more than one of mine. I'd do a 55 gallon drum and buy the gravity ring and bands to put around it for the legs and lid.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Spend the money....I went to Boss Buck gravity feeders 3 yrs ago and they are great

The guys at the club have started using a cable strung between two trees and then secured close to the ground so they can hook the utv winch to the cable. They let the winch out and the feeder lowers to the ground to be refilled. This eliminates the worry of hogs knocking the legs of the feeder over, it throws the corn a lot farther making the deer have to hunt for the kernels, spreads the deer out so no concern of hitting another deer behind the target one.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I've been using the $200 Moultries for 10 years and only have had to replace batteries. It looks like Academy has most of their feeders on sale right now.
    https://www.academy.com/p/moultrie-d...lite-ii-tripod

My preference is to set timers for 1 hr before sunrise and 2 hours before sunset.

It will take a while for the deer to get used to them unless your neighbor has been using them.

Put it out there empty and throw corn around it for a while.

Nothing wrong with the cheap feeders.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Whatever brand you get, I would go with a 12v system. They throw farther and the batteries last longer. If you’re on a budget, I would look at Moultrie. I have 5 that I’ve had for probably 10 yrs and have replaced 1 motor. If you win the lottery, I would look at Texas hunters.

We have Texas Hunters. Buy once, cry once. They are very well built
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

X2 on the texas hunter feeders

I've got a Douglas motor I'm gonna mount on a drum as soon as I'm able.

Is the area open or does it have trees?
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

12v, they all about the same. Northern tool 30.00 solar charger, won't have to touch the battery all year. When I used 6v, constantly fighting battery issues.
    Low country redneck who moved north

I prefer a gravity feeder. No batteries or motors to worry about. I have 4 of the Banks 300lb feeder and they have been good for corn. I tried protein pellets in them and it just gummed up and rotted. That could have been due to the moisture content of the particular brand that I tried. What I like about these the most is that the squirrels and raccoons can't get to the corn or chew on them once you put a piece of stove pipe around the 4x4 post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

I have been using two Moultries for 10 plus years. Batteries last forever and just replaced one of the timers last year. I have one hanging 12-15 ft off an oak limb on a boat trailer winch. The other is on the tripod legs that came with it. Takes a while for deer to get used to them at 1st but mine have been there so long that they don't know any better. Feeders are in the lowountry so bears aren't a problem

Texas hunters and don’t worry about a single thing but keeping them full.

I have got 4 Moultries... they work and are bullet proof. Don't put them near squirrel trees and the varmints
    will leave them alone.

I have thirteen 55 gallon drums on 16" steel tubing tripods that I can winch up and down. They are very expensive but there are none better... SpinCast makes the bottom feeder attachment and they will sling corn in a 50" circle around my feeders.

https://spincastwildlifefeeders.com/
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Gravity feeder will defeat the purpose of what he's trying to accomplish.

Not a thing wrong with the basic Moultries
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Buddy got one of these as a gift last year. I was real skeptical but it ran from July to Jan with one battery change. Put it out now with a camera and you'll know before next season if they get accustomed to it. If not, you're out $140.

67EB5478-6E4B-4410-B92C-5D90D620D049.png

I'm not interested in gravity feeders. I don't want them to have 24hr access to the buffet. I have no hogs or bears to worry about. This one will be on the edge of a hay field, but where I'm putting it, I could hang it from an oak limb if I wanted to, but would have to install a winch system to lower it to fill. I would probably rather just back my truck up to it, stand on the tailgate and fill it when needed. Access to this spot is as easy as it gets.

I'm not broke or on a budget and don't want to spend more than necessary, but I will probably use this feeder at this particular spot for as long as it will last so no need to go cheap.

Those texas hunter feeders do look like the Cadillac of deer feeders.

Is there any where local that sells the Texas Hunters? shipping for one feeder is 226$. sheeeeeesh
    Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 01-04-2023 at 11:36 AM.

this one looks pretty nice for the money. 12v. solar charger included, 300lbs, on a winch system.....

feeder.jpg