Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Corn Feeder Recommendations

Gracias
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Those with Texas Hunter feeders which design did you end up with? I've always put corn on the ground and would like to trend towards the feeder route but the deer seem to not like the standing feeders with legs at my place. I'm leaning towards the directional thrown Texas Hunter as it seems like they would get used to it quicker. Does anyone have the directional style and did the deer not mind it like the leg feeders?

Last edited by Timberman22; 01-04-2023 at 06:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

We just have the 300 lb TX Hunters with 4’ legs. The next ones we buy will be 650 lb. It took them a little while, but we also have our feeders in pens because of hogs. I think the feeder and pen combo made the learning curve steeper. They jump in and out like its nothing 4 years later
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

Roughly how many pounds of corn per second does the Texas feeders put out?

I agree with timber22

Quote Originally Posted by Timberman22 View Post
    Roughly how many pounds of corn per second does the Texas feeders put out?
    Legit question. We feed a total of 5 seconds/day, and 300 lbs lasts roughly 60 days, so roughly a pound per second. But, we run 6V batteries on 12v motors to make sure the corn doesn’t get thrown out of the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Legit question. We feed a total of 5 seconds/day, and 300 lbs lasts roughly 60 days, so roughly a pound per second. But, we run 6V batteries on 12v motors to make sure the corn doesn’t get thrown out of the pen.
    Thank you

I agree with timber22

I’ve got a couple Douglas feeders. They can feed anything especially combined corn and I don’t have to worry about it stopping up the feeder. I mount them to 55 gallon drum and hang them high as possible on a power pole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    We just have the 300 lb TX Hunters with 4’ legs. The next ones we buy will be 650 lb. It took them a little while, but we also have our feeders in pens because of hogs. I think the feeder and pen combo made the learning curve steeper. They jump in and out like its nothing 4 years later
    https://www.aphis.usda.gov/publicati...swine-bait.pdf

I’m just dropping this little nugget for the backlash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use the tx hunter 300#. I feed once a day right before daylight. I think it help keep the hogs and turkey off it giving the deer a good shot at getting it first. But everybody in the woods for sure gets it’s share. I started with the 4’ leges but it was to low and hogs got to banging on it so I extended the legs 3’. Next one I bought the 8’ leg extensions and hogs haven’t been an issue. Throws corn about 30 feet.Coons get on top but can’t get to the spinner it seems. Full bin of corn last most of season. I don’t hunt over them just use to keep some deer coming through and hanging around. Some put out much more corn but I don’t intend to feed them just a little candy to attract. Some of the other in club use the cheaper feeders and are alway replacing controlllers, motors, and batteries. All ever done is change one battery on a 7 year old feeder.
    Last edited by centurian; 01-04-2023 at 09:05 PM.

Castaways are very nice and if there is another feeder that throws farther than them I'd love to see them. They go off for 2 seconds at Groton plantation and the amount of corn slung and its radius is incredible.

Like shortmagfan said the big A feeders from academy are also great. I've got 3 of those
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid