Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Caliber / Rifle?

I'm with HS on this one...

Go ahead and get a 300 PRC

Thanks for all the suggestions. Definitely never selling the 30-06. Just wanting to buy a new rifle... I will go look at the 7mm-08 and 7mm WSM.

I've got a 7-08 and love it, but the ammo is near impossible to find anymore unless you're willing to accept "any box you find on the shelf". For that reason, and the elephant's ass-high prices I've seen on the 6.5 Creedmore and 25-06 ammo, I'd stick with either .308 or 30-06 to keep the ethical opportunity for longer shots over 250, which I think is the limit of the .243.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

You could consider putting the money toward a makeover on your old 700. A premium barrel chambered in 280 AI and installed by a gunsmith would would be cheaper than a new rifle. With a good bedding job on the old (or new) stock you could expect to be comfortable shooting 500yds no problem. You can put a new premium trigger on yourself with Youtube and a punch.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I've got a 7-08 and love it, but the ammo is near impossible to find anymore unless you're willing to accept "any box you find on the shelf". For that reason, and the elephant's ass-high prices I've seen on the 6.5 Creedmore and 25-06 ammo, I'd stick with either .308 or 30-06 to keep the ethical opportunity for longer shots over 250, which I think is the limit of the .243.
    I just looked up the price for the Hornady 6.5 creedmoor 120 grain gmx and about fell out my chair. I used to pay $28 a box from Midwayusa and now its $63.99. Good thing I bought a bunch back when it was cheap.

I go back and forth between my 7mag, .243, and 308. The perfect do-all gun does not exist! And if it did, what fun would that be?

Started with an 06 and used it for many years then changed over to .270 for the last 25 years. Recently went to a 7.08 just to kick around and get a little lighter gun. Grand daughter is using the 7.08 so i guess i need another 7.08. i am impressed, accurate, light recoil, devastating results but so are all the others mentioned.
    Last edited by centurian; 01-03-2023 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by acebasinman View Post
    You could consider putting the money toward a makeover on your old 700. A premium barrel chambered in 280 AI and installed by a gunsmith would would be cheaper than a new rifle. With a good bedding job on the old (or new) stock you could expect to be comfortable shooting 500yds no problem. You can put a new premium trigger on yourself with Youtube and a punch.
    If you start talking about a new premium barrel in 280 AI (great round), a new stock, a bedding and/or pillar job, and a premium trigger, you're going to have more in it than a lot of new rifles... plus the premium cost and lack of availability of off-the-shelf ammo for that caliber.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 01-03-2023 at 01:42 PM.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    7-08 BLR
    I just bought a sweet 308 BLR about 2 weeks ago. I want to hunt with it from the climbing stand but the 30.06 is so hard to leave at home.

.270 is all ive ever shot a deer with and its been great. I think any typical "deer rifle" would be fine for SC deer, but I've always heard the .270 shoots "flatter" than the 30-06. I know some guys use them for pretty long range stuff out west

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    I just bought a sweet 308 BLR about 2 weeks ago. I want to hunt with it from the climbing stand but the 30.06 is so hard to leave at home.
    I have absolutely zero need for another deer rifle but I want a BLR in 7-08 bad.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by forresj View Post
    .270 is all ive ever shot a deer with and its been great. I think any typical "deer rifle" would be fine for SC deer, but I've always heard the .270 shoots "flatter" than the 30-06. I know some guys use them for pretty long range stuff out west
    Check the real ballistics. It's really only a matter of an inch or two at long ranges, so it's more myth and an old wives tale than anything.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Duracraft View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Definitely never selling the 30-06. Just wanting to buy a new rifle... I will go look at the 7mm-08 and 7mm WSM.
    Pretty extreme differences between those two. I second DC- check out the 25-06 if you're considering a 7mm-08.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    I just looked up the price for the Hornady 6.5 creedmoor 120 grain gmx and about fell out my chair. I used to pay $28 a box from Midwayusa and now its $63.99. Good thing I bought a bunch back when it was cheap.
    When I first boat my savage 11 predator hunter in 6.5 I bought 20 boxes of 120gr GMX hornady marked down at 15.99 a box at academy. Crazy. I’ve got one box left I’ll trade for once fired brass…….
    Last edited by Whackumstackum; 01-03-2023 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    When I first boat my savage 11 predator hunter in 6.5 I bought 20 boxes of 120gr GMX hornady marked down at 15.99 a box at academy. Crazy. I’ve got one box left I’ll trade for once fired brass…….

I’ve got some brass. Let me check how many.