Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: doe management

Default doe management

Is deer management, if you aren’t doing it you need to rethink your management plan. I took a a break from killing does trying to get my son on a few but last week they caught hell. When it stops getting me worked up I swear I will quit hunting but the does do it more than the bucks now as I know what we can grow with a little trigger restraint.34EF8162-1990-408E-978D-739C1F3C01CF.jpg

Speaking of management, what do you think an optimal deer number/acre should be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that your son taking a leak in the yard in front of the truck? LOL

We all collective can shoot the hell out of the does, but everyone has a mindset that does attract bucks. We wait till the last weeks, but then the does are scarce or feeding at night. If you get a one to one ratio, your season is only two weeks long. The biggest buck will breed and leave. It’s definitely a risk to shoot your does when your neighbors don’t. It has to be at least a 5 mile radius of management. My 2 cents.

Damn y’all don’t miss much! HA!

It varies based on area for sure. Given the human population increase and baiting being legal, hunters are too efficient at killing deer. Population is declining around me. I elected not to shoot does this year, I saw the decline starting last year.

Local processor had 47 deer taken in New Years Eve. That’s unheard of around us. Traditionally most folks stopped hunting by Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Shallow Minded View Post
    Shakin a bush. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    It varies based on area for sure. Given the human population increase and baiting being legal, hunters are too efficient at killing deer. Population is declining around me.
    Corn piles in the upstate is/was THE worst thing that has happened to deer hunting in my lifetime. I think it has been worse for hunting than even the coyotes.

It has completely changed their travel and feeding patterns and IMO has put a huge dent in the population. People that couldn't kill a deer on woodmanship and hunting ability are now whacking and stacking.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Shallow Minded View Post
    Sure as shit is. I damn sure didn’t notice that!

Hahahahaha!!!

Alpha male in training.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by justhuntin View Post
    Shakin a bush. Lol.
    I would hope not

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    Corn piles in the upstate is/was THE worst thing that has happened to deer hunting in my lifetime. I think it has been worse for hunting than even the coyotes.

It has completely changed their travel and feeding patterns and IMO has put a huge dent in the population. People that couldn't kill a deer on woodmanship and hunting ability are now whacking and stacking.

Bull-hockey
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Our deer density in Orangeburg county is probably one of the highest in the state. That being said we (neighbors included) kill 5 to 1 doe to bucks I’d say as a group on all but one property. The buck hunting is phenomenal and we don’t have to depredation hunt nearly as much as the crop damage is way less in the spring. It’s just great hunting, I sit way more than the average hunter and I went 2 times all year where I didn’t see a racked buck.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Bull-hockey
    Quackhead ain’t wrong

Corn can be a useful tool but too many people using it as a crutch
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Quackhead ain’t wrong

Corn can be a useful tool but too many people using it as a crutch
    One of the principles of the North American Model of Conservation is that game species only be pursued by fair chase methods. Meaning - you have to learn how to hunt. Pouring a pile of corn is not hunting.

We don't have near the population density of deer in the upstate to support such a ridiculous method of "hunting". Especially with a 3 month rifle season.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    One of the principles of the North American Model of Conservation is that game species only be pursued by fair chase methods. Meaning - you have to learn how to hunt. Pouring a pile of corn is not hunting.

We don't have near the population density of deer in the upstate to support such a ridiculous method of "hunting". Especially with a 3 month rifle season.
    Do you hunt with iron sights?

Quote Originally Posted by jcoker View Post
    Do you hunt with iron sights?
    No and that has nothing to do with pouring a pile of corn not being fair chase. That's a strawman argument.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    No and that has nothing to do with pouring a pile of corn not being fair chase. That's a strawman argument.
    So sitting high up in a tree and being able to shoot the deer at multiple hundreds of yards away is fair chase?

Quote Originally Posted by jcoker View Post
    So sitting high up in a tree and being able to shoot the deer at multiple hundreds of yards away is fair chase?
    Depends. I listed recently to a discussion with a biologist who was giving rough estimates of distance that an animal can no longer sense human presence. Can't smell you, can't see or hear you. So you could be upwind wearing a suit of flashing lights and bells and doing jumping jacks and a deer wouldn't know. I forget what the distance was, I want to say 300 yds for whitetail deer. So the discussion was around what is still ethical when it comes to long range rifle shots. I'd say if you're out of the range of the animal having any possible chance of detecting you then, no, it is not fair to the animal.

As for scopes, I think they're great. They allow the hunter to pull off a more accurate shot which greatly reduces the chance of an unrecoverable deer. Without bait, you still have to put in the effort to figure out where the deer bed, where they travel, find hot oak trees, where they might show themselves during shooting light, and numerous other things to make everything lines up perfectly for a shot opportunity.

Pouring a pile of corn is lazy and requires no effort. Peeing in a toilet without hitting the seat requires more skill than killing a deer over a pile of corn. Did yall miss me? I just took a short break, got busy with other stuff for a bit.

Jimmy, do you hunt over bean fields, cut corn fields, winter wheat fields? Are they "ethical"?