Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nomad

Every couple years some new fad company comes out.

Drake, sitka, Nomad, Huk, Chene, on into oblivion and folks flock like moths to street lights.

If you wanna wear overpriced and cheaply made China crap - jump on board.

You’ve been around long enough to know that Filson, LL Bean, etc are quality products.

Granted, you won’t match every 19yr old flatbill at the boat ramp that’s #sickforit trying to #makeapile, but you’ll stay plenty warm.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I looked at the LLBean jacket. I liked it.

Thanks for the text.

i dont put banded or nomad in the same category as sitka.

Yeah, I have friends with their duck ovens, they love them. I have a few of the heavy weight and mid weight zips. Plus baselayer pants, I really enjoy those made by sitka. I try to stay away from trendy things.. I did buy a pair of the chene waders. The only thing duxbak I really have left is a belt buckle, everything else is faded out or too small

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Yeah, I have friends with their duck ovens, they love them. I have a few of the heavy weight and mid weight zips. Plus baselayer pants, I really enjoy those made by sitka. I try to stay away from trendy things.. I did buy a pair of the chene waders. The only thing duxbak I really have left is a belt buckle, everything else is faded out or too small
    Sitka has it figured out.

I spent way too much on a Sitka hoodie 2 weeks ago. But damn its the cats meow. Fits well and allows for full mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I think Patagonia is the brand that won't do camo. They made good stuff but pissed me off with that virtue signaling crap.

No idea about Nomad. I hate the damn branding and giant logo bullshit. "Conspicuous consumption" was the term they used when loud labels first came out. I remember when brand labels were on the back inside collar where the size is printed. I ain't a billboard, pro bass fisherman or Nascar driver.

My brother has a motorcycle company logo tattooed on his arm! And nobody even paid him to do it. Talk about getting thoroughly marketed!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Patagonia makes camo garments for DEVGRU, they can ride their high horse however their gear is used to carry out bad deeds all over the globe. Sitka and Arcteryx also have military divisions for govt contracts- makes the retail stuff look like it’s a blue light special!

I have a pullover that is Nomad. It is comfortable and lasted longer than I expected. It is good for mild weather. It is not bad but not great either. Definitely would not pay full price for most of their stuff but at the right price I would buy again.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

I have some Nomad stuff because Hart, a member here, had a hand in designing a lot of it. Their turkey pants are the best hunting item I’ve ever owned. I have two pair with tags on them in case they ever discontinue. I have their base layers and they are very warm. I can’t speak to their waterfowl stuff, but I can say that the folks behind it are good people, which trumps Banded.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I think that jacket is a new model. That is probably why no one is giving you a review on it.

I have some of their deer and turkey gear. The pants have held up great and are very comfortable. No issues with shirts either.

Hey Fish, I have one of their heavy outer layer suits for deer huntnig and it is a very nice set. The nicest I have owned since Under Armor was big into hunting gear 10 or so years ago.

I doubt it is on par with Sitka but its still very warm and very well made
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    Hey Fish, I have one of their heavy outer layer suits for deer huntnig and it is a very nice set. The nicest I have owned since Under Armor was big into hunting gear 10 or so years ago.

I doubt it is on par with Sitka but its still very warm and very well made
    The same human that designed the UA gear you speak of, designed that Nomad jacket
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

I guess I'm an ol fart. Goose down and Wool always keep me warmer than the new fleece and synthetics. Layering is important. I have some Sitka stuff that doesn't thrill me.

My usual severe cold weather gear is - a down or wool vest/ jacket topped with a Filson grease coat. Second tier is an old Browning Duck Commander parka with down insulation and Goretex outer. Wish I had bought two of them.

If you find one of the Beretta brand full zip Wool sweaters with the Wind Stopper liner, that is another outstanding piece of gear.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I went through those LL Bean commando sweaters in my youth, through the regulars and an old barbour hunting when I got older. I still dig grease for when it's not too damn cold. The rare times it got below the fifteen degrees my old grease coat would damn near lock up. I bought my first Columbia 3 in 1 when I was around 20 because my partner always looked so warm in his.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I have some Nomad stuff because Hart, a member here, had a hand in designing a lot of it. Their turkey pants are the best hunting item I’ve ever owned. I have two pair with tags on them in case they ever discontinue. I have their base layers and they are very warm. I can’t speak to their waterfowl stuff, but I can say that the folks behind it are good people, which trumps Banded.
    He is no longer with the Company. Saw a facepage post that he has returned to work for Mossy Oak. I know he was one of the original 4 founders of the HUK and NOMAD brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    He is no longer with the Company. Saw a facepage post that he has returned to work for Mossy Oak. I know he was one of the original 4 founders of the HUK and NOMAD brand.
    Correct. He is back at Mossy Oak.

Huk and Nomad doesnt make anything to fit me. I dont like their pants because they used 1/3 the fabric neccesary to fit my hands in my pockets and carry anything in them any larger than a Bic lighter, or pack of gum.

I'm no brand whore, but sitka makes good shit. I always wore a grease coat and kept it greased. Went to hunt a very wet week in the PACNW and watched my two partners stay warm and dry in Sitka while I was soaked to the skin. Bought a Sitka jacket when I got back. It's legit.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I'm an admitted gear whore. I've gotten better as I've gotten older but it's still a problem. Lol.

I've got some Sitka left but I've sold most of it because a lot of it is repetitive, Chene has some really good products that, IMO, are way more versatile than Sitka stuff is in general.

I tend to like the synthetics better for outer layers but I don't think there will ever be a synthetic that will top wool for layering and just warmth in general. My base layers are Merino, and my LL Bean wool sweater with windstopper is probably the warmest piece of clothing I own.

I don't care for the whole 3 in 1 or 4 in 1 design. Get a good waterproof, uninsulated, jacket to use as an outer layer and pair that with a couple of different weight mid layers and use them depending on conditions. Chene 60 series half zips are great, and as mentioned, the LL Bean sweaters with windstopper can't be beat for when it's really cold.....

The Columbia stuff wasn't bad when it came out, but it's about as waterproof as a cotton T shirt.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Agreed on the 3 in 1 stance. No jacket does three things well. If my outer layer will keep the other stuff dry and the wind out, you're winning the game.

I continue to layer to stay warm. Polypro next to skin, then cotton, then another synthetic insulator then wool sweater. I add a down vest if I need extra warmth.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton