Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Landowners win in frist ever suit about trespassing deer dogs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Landowners win in first ever suit about trespassing deer dogs

Prentiss county Mississippi.....judge ruled in favor of landowner against deer dog hunters

This will be interesting....
    Last edited by FHF; 12-28-2022 at 01:35 PM.

It will slowly die, but you just can't run the whole county like they have done for years

I don't know what's interesting about it. Private property rights are one of the cornerstones of our country.

I'm glad the landowners got some relief.

I hate it's come to this, but when you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Love it....if dog men don't stop acting so entitled they are going to loose the privilege to hunt the way they love...which would be sad day but I would frankly be happy if i never saw another hound on my lease

Thank god, can’t tell yah how many pitiful/starved dogs I’ve scooped up to call the owners after they jacked my hunt up only to have a thankless owner grab them and offer zero appreciation for their carelessness nor their disregard for other hunters. Not to mention dog drivers driving around on machines or their trucks disrupting a still hunt for the sake of finding their dog because “dogs can’t read a sign bo!”.

That being said I’ve had some good neighbours that went out of their way to ensure they didn’t drop their dogs near where anyone was close to hunting and are true gentlemen about it. These same responsible owners are the same ones that offer and apology and genuinely go out of their way to keep nature it doesn’t happen again. End of the day those that play if fast and loose will cost those that do it the right way.

Last edited by Catdaddy; 12-28-2022 at 06:55 PM.

This subject has been debated for a long time. Years ago the Renegade hunter act was passed but I don’t think it did anything to help the landowner, so maybe this ruling will set a precedent for other areas to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by FHF View Post
    This subject has been debated for a long time. Years ago the Renegade hunter act was passed but I don’t think it did anything to help the landowner, so maybe this ruling will set a precedent for other areas to follow.
    The Renegade Hunter law was written with a few dog hunters, one now upstate Game Warden, and Yancy McGill.

It's easy to understand why it solved nothing.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    The Renegade Hunter law was written with a few dog hunters, one now upstate Game Warden, and Yancy McGill.

It's easy to understand why it solved nothing.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    This makes me laugh for more reasons than one….

Last year we caught a Kershaw County celebrity dropping dogs off on our property and running deer back to him. He was written a huge ticket, had his day in court and was caught again maybe 3 weeks later doing the exact same thing up around Ridgeway. Found out the other day he still has three pending charges for trespassing to hunt from violations this season. But somehow he keeps getting a slap on the wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    This makes me laugh for more reasons than one….

Last year we caught a Kershaw County celebrity dropping dogs off on our property and running deer back to him. He was written a huge ticket, had his day in court and was caught again maybe 3 weeks later doing the exact same thing up around Ridgeway. Found out the other day he still has three pending charges for trespassing to hunt from violations this season. But somehow he keeps getting a slap on the wrist.

And when dog hunting finally gets banned dog hunters will look to the private land still hunter to cast blame instead of that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    And when dog hunting finally gets banned dog hunters will look to the private land still hunter to cast blame instead of that guy.
    Exactly!

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

I’ve dealt with trespassing dog hunter at least on three occasions in the last two years in Richland county. And was told by the dog hunters each time that the dogs will go where they go. This poses a significant liability risk to the land owner. I’m not sure why more has not been done to stop this.

Shit I deal with it weekly. Caught the main one 3 weeks ago dead in the middle of my place, caught his dog and the GW wrote him a warning. Nothing like sitting in the stand at prime time with your 7 year old and having a pack of dogs come running across the foodplot behind 20 deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Shit I deal with it weekly. Caught the main one 3 weeks ago dead in the middle of my place, caught his dog and the GW wrote him a warning. Nothing like sitting in the stand at prime time with your 7 year old and having a pack of dogs come running across the foodplot behind 20 deer.
    A warning? Guess kids are never too young to learn how ineffective the justice system is.
    Last edited by wskinner; 12-29-2022 at 01:05 PM.

Me and that GW would not be on good terms at this point. I would be talking to whoever signs his paycheck. In other words, someone from Columbia would be explaining to me (for the GW) why a ticket wasn't written.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    Ya'll need to write a letter to the landowner that is giving them permission to hunt. Threaten to sue the piss out of them for allowing their tenants to interfere with your right to a peaceful hunt. Send it certified. That has put a stop to the bulk of dog problems in this state. I like dog hunting as much as anyone and there are some really good clubs out there that do it the right way but the 5 acre clubs are ruining it for everyone.
    These guys turn loose on heirs property and in backyards and such and cut them off on public paved and dirt roads. You can’t sue people that don’t have anything. If you’re from manning I’m sure you are familiar with the group I’m talking about as they trespass from Davis Station to Rimini to Sumter and Santee.
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    Me and that GW would not be on good terms at this point. I would be talking to whoever signs his paycheck. In other words, someone from Columbia would be explaining to me (for the GW) why a ticket wasn't written.
    This guy was brand new, I showed my ass a little bit after the fact. The GW I usually call was off and he has taken about 9 licenses over the past 3 years, not that it stops them.
    Last edited by Whackumstackum; 12-29-2022 at 01:33 PM.

I hunt near that area and Feel your pain. They drop from the swamp on us and then go stand the public road. Dog hunting needs to go the way of smoking in restaurants; hate it but it’s run it’s course.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrohunter View Post
    I hunt near that area and Feel your pain. They drop from the swamp on us and then go stand the public road. Dog hunting needs to go the way of smoking in restaurants; hate it but it’s run it’s course.
    What’s the law to hunt from the public road? Have to have permission to hunt the adjacent property?

These guys turn loose on heirs property and in backyards and such and cut them off on public paved and dirt roads. You can’t sue people that don’t have anything. If you’re from manning I’m sure you are familiar with the group I’m talking about as they trespass from Davis Station to Rimini to Sumter and Santee.
    I think I only saw them once this year. Years past, I swear I'd see them multiple times during the week.