Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Landowners win in frist ever suit about trespassing deer dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I think it is only one side, not both.
    I’ll take that bet and raise you on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot14 View Post
    I’ll take that bet and raise you on it!
    Where is that written? It may be but I’ve never seen or heard that. The act quote above does not say that.

SECTION 50-11-760. Hunting from certain public roads and railroad rights-of-way prohibited; definitions; penalties.

(A) It is unlawful for a person to hunt from a public road or railroad right-of-way if the person does not have permission to hunt the land immediately adjacent to the public road or railroad right-of-way.

(B)(1) For purposes of this section, "hunting" includes:

(a) taking deer by occupying stands for that purpose; or

(b) possessing, carrying, or having readily accessible:

(i) a loaded centerfire rifle; or

(ii) a shotgun loaded with shot size larger than number four.

(2) For purposes of this section, "loaded" means a weapon within which any ammunition is contained.

(3) For purposes of this section, the terms "possessing", "carrying", and "having readily accessible" do not include a centerfire rifle or shotgun which is contained in a:

(a) closed compartment;

(b) closed vehicle trunk; or a

(c) vehicle traveling on a public road.

(C) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than one hundred dollars nor more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than thirty days.

(D) In addition to any other penalties, the department must suspend the hunting privileges of a person convicted of violating this section for one year from the date of the conviction.

HISTORY: [Derived from former § 50-11-90 (1962 Code § 28-308; 1958 (50) 1935; 1961 (52) 30, 506; 1965 (54) 477; 1969 (56) 274; 1977 Act No. 164, § 1)]; 1988 Act No. 561, § 1; 1993 Act No. 181, § 1262; 2001 Act No. 69, § 1; 2003 Act No. 50, § 1.

SECTION 50-11-770. Unpermitted hunting with use of a dog on property without hunting rights; dog not to be harmed; penalties; suspension of hunting privileges; exceptions.

(A) For purposes of this section:

(1) "Hunting" includes:

(a) attempting to take any game animal, hog, or coyote by occupying stands, standing, or occupying a vehicle while; and

(b) possessing, carrying, or having readily accessible:

(i) a centerfire rifle with ammunition capable of being fired in that rifle; or

(ii) a shotgun with shot size larger than number four that is capable of being fired from that shotgun.

(2) "Possessing", "carrying", or "having readily available" does not include a centerfire rifle or a shotgun that is:

(a) unloaded and cased in a closed compartment or vehicle;

(b) unloaded and cased in a vehicle trunk or tool box;

(c) in a vehicle traveling in a normal manner on a public road or highway; or

(d) in case of a stander with no vehicle, encased or unloaded with the shells at least thirty feet away and stacked, piled, or otherwise gathered together in like fashion.

(B) Notwithstanding the provisions contained in Section 50-11-760, it shall be unlawful for any person to hunt from any road, right of way, property line, boundary, or property upon which he does not have hunting rights with the aid or use of a dog when the dog has entered upon the land of another without written permission or over which the person does not have hunting rights. The provisions of this section apply whether the person in control of the dog intentionally or unintentionally releases, allows, or otherwise causes the dog to enter upon the land of another without permission of the landowner.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

(d) in case of a stander with no vehicle, encased or unloaded with the shells at least thirty feet away and stacked, piled, or otherwise gathered together in like fashion.

what the hell?
    Windows Down!

When Bubba rolls out the bed of a truck with a PBR and a chew with a loaded shotgun filled with buckshot then it don't matter what he tells green jeans he is doing, he is hunting.

Now after releasing his illiterate mutts and is just minding his own business just standing on the side of the road pretending he ain't hunting, he better unload and lay his granddads 870 pump on the public right of way at least 30 feet away from assigned roadside hunting location, so he is not tempted to shoot that massive 4 point running in front of 3 almost starved hounds, of which these uneducated animals will without question lie to green jeans when he asks if they can read.
    Last edited by Duck Tape; 12-30-2022 at 07:51 AM.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Oh. The last paragraph of Duck Tape's post means that once a dog has gotten off the property owned by the dog driver, he can no longer hunt the road. Did that get added with the renegade hunter act?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Looks like it just needs enforcement. I am sure the GW knows the offenders, complainers, as well as the location it is happening. Make it expensive and it will stop when they run out of money. it may be harassment but be there every time they drop the tailgate. The truth is it looks like it will eventually be banned due to actions by a few and lack of enforcement of current laws.

If it ever gets banned it’ll surprise the hell out of me, people have been worrying about it being banned for 25 years…….

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    If it ever gets banned it’ll surprise the hell out of me, people have been worrying about it being banned for 25 years…….
    Be proactive in finding a solution or one will be provided by the GA for you. I for one would hate to see it banned as it is tradition. It seem to be a problem across most of the south eastern states.

Real hound lovers can run in pens and probably on the outside where guns aren't used. If I owned a foxhound I would never turn him loose outside of a pen.....or during deer season.

Nobody really cares about running fox, rabbits, squirrels, or coons.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

good advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Yes, this has been an issue for years. I don’t want to see dog hunting banned, but would like to see laws that supported the landowners and big fines for the rogue dog hunters.