Thread: Backup Caneras

Default Backup Caneras

I just bought an 06 Tahoe. I want to buy a backup camera for it but I don’t know where to even start looking. What camera gives me the most bang for the buck? Where does it install on the vehicle? Is this something I can install myself or should I get it installed by a shop? Who does camera installs?

If the vehicle does not have a Apple CarPlay capable head unit, I would suggest going that route with a camera included. That will give you hands-free telephone usage. Talk to text and navigation from your phone.

They have come down significantly in price.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

What Jozie said. You can buy a stand alone back up camera that attaches to dash for cheap or you could replace whole radio unit. Not that big of a deal if you are a little handy. Should be plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it and what you need as far as harnesses and dash parts go. If you don’t have any idea, you may want to hire it out.

Here’s just one, but there are a bunch more. Not sure if that one talks about backup camera or not, but there are videos on how to wire those up where they will come on when you put car in reverse.

Last edited by wbrown609; 12-22-2022 at 05:41 PM.

Here he shows you how to run wires for camera.

I installed this one my sons new, as of Christmas morning, 08 Silverado. It had good reviews on Amazon. I went ahead and installed the camera and pulled the wires to the front while i had the truck on my buddies lift. I'll install the head unit (Sony) next week. Its my sons 1st ride and I wanted Bluetooth to keep the distractions down and a backup camera can't hurt.
    I'll report back the results.

IMG_20221224_114555139.jpg

Fancy

I bought one off Amazon that had it's on display screen that can need mounted to dash, windshield etc... Defending on how neat you want wiring to be installing this one was 30 min. Since then I have ordered 4 more. The one I got since I knew nothing about it wasn't a very expensive one around 40 dollars off Amazon. Best money I ever spent.

Do any of those have the ball hitch alignment sensor?
    Tyler Simmons wasn’t offsides. 1-9-2018
    Isaiah Bond didn’t catch the ball. 12-2-2023

My son and I installed the head unit in his "new"truck today. I'm impressed with the setup. Backup camera works great. The hitch is visible along with a good distance behind the truck. Good image. There are some adjustments for the alignment marks that I haven't messed with yet. The handsfree talk is crystal clear and the Android Auto works great. I did determine that I'm too old to be wiggling around on the floorboard under the dash. Crutchfield install kits make putting these things in newer vehicles as painless as it can be.

IMG_20221226_152108661.jpg