Thread: Trying to train my dog

Default Trying to train my dog

I’m sure I’m gonna get blasted for having a Labradoodle but A OK with me. Dog is awesome. Not sure if I’m even doing this right but he seems to take interest at 10 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one is gonna make fun of your doodle when he starts finding everyone’s deer!

I use rubber boots. I do the drag with some blood on a leg and drag. Piece of liver on it as a prize.

I keep the dog on a lead. In this case paracord would be fine so your not pulling the dog and letting them naturally work

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjw View Post
    No one is gonna make fun of your doodle when he starts finding everyone’s deer!

I use rubber boots. I do the drag with some blood on a leg and drag. Piece of liver on it as a prize.

I keep the dog on a lead. In this case paracord would be fine so your not pulling the dog and letting them naturally work
    Thanks for the tips!

I kept him on the leash cause that joker will jet out lol.

That high pitched voice and them long toe nails you got…………..lol

Quote Originally Posted by SCHUNTINFANATIC View Post
    That high pitched voice and them long toe nails you got…………..lol
    Lol

I use a drag lead made of stiff 8mm climbing rope, 25 or 30 feet long. That way, when they weave it around bushes and trees, you can let go and pick it up after it clears the obstacles. The weave of the rope makes a sound as it rubs around trees that is easy to locate and hear from a short distance.

Now that I have learned to trust her, I let her track with a GPS collar and no lead. She will quit tracking and come back if I hit the tone button unless she's close and hot. The shock button will make her break off any trail but I've only resorted to that when she was way out on property I didn't have access to.

I don't worry about my scent because they will typically have to sort out the human scent on a real kill. It is probably helpful to walk around all over the trail to make it realistic. In tracking competitions, they make the fake track in a field that is likely to have deer come out and cross the trail to see if it will confuse them. They don't track until the trial is at least 20 hours old.

I got blood and hide from the same deer which is important because they can and should discern the individual scent of a specific deer. I planned on doing weeks of training but, in truth, she picked up immediately and went straight to the real thing like she had already been trained. Even when I shoot a deer out of a crowd in the field, she will eventually pick the one that is wounded and stay on it even when she jumps other deer along the track.

Dog tracking training 101

let your dog get lost and find it’s way to you.
    Windows Down!

Another easy way I trained mine was to take a deer that was shot and drag it through the woods. Easy track for a puppy that you can create.

I just started with my lab and shot a buck about a month ago. I watched him fall but waited for my wife to bring her out to track. She did just that. The more practice and repetition the better.

If you follow the blood tracking pages on Facebook you’ll realize goofy @ss dogs are in good company there and some of the best trackers!

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjw View Post
    Another easy way I trained mine was to take a deer that was shot and drag it through the woods. Easy track for a puppy that you can create.

I just started with my lab and shot a buck about a month ago. I watched him fall but waited for my wife to bring her out to track. She did just that. The more practice and repetition the better.

If you follow the blood tracking pages on Facebook you’ll realize goofy @ss dogs are in good company there and some of the best trackers!
    I’ve been thinking about doing the same. Only challenge is a hunt about an hour away from my house.

Anyway will work. Just make sure your pup isn’t tracking your scent dragging it around.

A harness, instead of a collar, will keep pup from pulling against his windpipe. It would be less strain for him to keep his head down.
    Last edited by Drylok; 12-19-2022 at 07:31 AM.

I don't know much about training a dog to track, but I read something on it a few weeks ago that made good sense. In early training with a young dog such as yours, attach your scent object to a long pvc pole or something similar and drag it out to your side to detach your scent from it. I would assume dragging it up wind would help even more.

They will have to be able to differentiate the two scents eventually, but I would think keeping the two scents separate in the beginning would make things more black and white.

Or have a stranger drag the deer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I use a drag lead made of stiff 8mm climbing rope, 25 or 30 feet long. That way, when they weave it around bushes and trees, you can let go and pick it up after it clears the obstacles. The weave of the rope makes a sound as it rubs around trees that is easy to locate and hear from a short distance.

Now that I have learned to trust her, I let her track with a GPS collar and no lead. She will quit tracking and come back if I hit the tone button unless she's close and hot. The shock button will make her break off any trail but I've only resorted to that when she was way out on property I didn't have access to.

I don't worry about my scent because they will typically have to sort out the human scent on a real kill. It is probably helpful to walk around all over the trail to make it realistic. In tracking competitions, they make the fake track in a field that is likely to have deer come out and cross the trail to see if it will confuse them. They don't track until the trial is at least 20 hours old.

I got blood and hide from the same deer which is important because they can and should discern the individual scent of a specific deer. I planned on doing weeks of training but, in truth, she picked up immediately and went straight to the real thing like she had already been trained. Even when I shoot a deer out of a crowd in the field, she will eventually pick the one that is wounded and stay on it even when she jumps other deer along the track.
    Is this with the tekel?
    DILLIGAF