Thread: New barrel Remington 700 SA

Default New barrel Remington 700 SA

I have a remington 700 BDL in .308 that needs some love. Current barrel is too thin to thread for a suppressor or muzzle device per gunsmith here. I trust these gunsmiths.

This is my go-to hunting rifle, and if I need to rebarrel it I would prefer to go 18 to 22" max. I have my heavy long-range toys, this I want to keep light to moderate in weight.

Of course this now means that if I am changing the barrel, the action will get blueprinted and trued, add oversize recoil lug, and my original stock will no longer suffice.

Of equal importance, I want this to look like an unassuming rifle. I do not want a tacticool hunting rifle. Not shitting on them, but I'd prefer something a bit more subtle.

What I am trying to decide is:

1. 18 vs 20 vs 22" in .308 assuming there may be a 6-9" suppressor attached.

2. Should I go for carbon fiber vs fluted barrel? Is there really that much difference in weight or barrel life between the two? Likely will go 1:10 twist m24 contour. Gunsmith recommends bartlein.

3. Any recommendations on a stock choice? I am leaning manners or mcmillan. I can't find a chassis that doesn't look too tacticool. Have looked at the KRG bravo heavily, but I think it doesn't fit with what I am trying to accomplish with the build. I have zero preference on internal mag vs AICS for this project.

Again, the goal is a very accurate "sleeper" hunting rifle build in 308 which will not be the length of a hockey stick with a suppressor (should I end up with one).

Thanks in advance for your opinions and insight.

Edit: I understand it would be cheaper to buy a different rifle. I am not getting rid of this one. It was a project rifle my dad bought a long time ago which we planned to use the action for a 6.5 x 47 build. Ended up using a custom action for the 6.5 x 47, and my dad said "here's a deer rifle that you beat up and its no big deal". It is time to get that project moving again.
    Last edited by abarill; 12-16-2022 at 12:59 PM.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Griffin

Agree with the smith on Bartlein. They make a carbon fiber barrel also.

Default New barrel Remington 700 SA

I been thinking about getting a new lightweight .308 deer rifle and am considering a 16 inch barrel so when I throw my suppressor on there it is 22 inches or so finished. I have been hunting some with my .308 5R and I think it is a 24 inch barrel. It is kind of a pain in the ass with that length depending on stand setup etc. Throw a suppressor on and its ridiculous. Also it has an external mag well and I wish it didnt when deer hunting or propping it up on or out the truck etc. Nice to have a slick bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Islandguy85; 12-16-2022 at 01:27 PM.

I'd go 16-18" carbon fiber, sendero profile. whatever you can find in a lightweight stock. These don't look too shabby https://www.stockysstocks.com/stocks...le-stocks.html

Grayboe had a sale going on, buy a stock get free bottom metal. Believe it ends on the 20th.

Carbon six barrels are on sale I believe.

I've got two carbon 308 barrels that I shoot with a suppressor, one on an AR10 and the other on a Christensen Arms MPR. Both are 16". They are as long as I want to tolerate for hunting rifles.

I am getting about 2550 fps muzzle with Hornady Superformance 165gr. SSTs.

Look at Mesa Precision and AG Composite stocks

Also look at PacNor barrels; they can do all the work as well

I am currently shooting a Bergera with a 18.5 barrel and a suppressor. I certainly wouldn’t want it any longer.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie1976 View Post
    Griffin
    Yep.

I’d go carbon fiber bartlein as close to 16 1/4” as you can go with a McMillan of your choice. Carbon simply due to the fact it’ll be a good bit lighter than a steel M24 (even fluted). If you want steel (and I would) look at a Bartlein 3 or 3b if you want some extra meat to it.

A McM classic is never a bad choice if you want to keep it simple looking. I’ve tried Manners but am 0 for 2 with them. I dealt with Tom Manners personally the 2nd time around and they still got it wrong.

18-20” Bartlein 2B or 3 or Kreiger 3 or 4. You’ll have enough meat at that length to thread for a suppressor. Unless you’re a sheep hunter, carbon doesn’t justify the price. Accuracy comes from the quality of barrel , chambering , and ammo. The rest doesn’t matter as much.
    Decide if you want a traditional grip or more vertical. If you want traditional, I’d go with HS. I’ve got Manners, McMillan, AG, and HS. For a traditional hunting rifle sporter style stock there is not any difference in performance to justify 2-3x the extra expense. If you want an adjustable comb , vertical grip etc, you’ll be better off with one of the others.
    This is 700 C prefix action, 24” Bartlein #3 10 twist chambered in 25-06, in an HS sporter stock. It’s as accurate as my match rifles. Consistently shoots in the .2s and 3’s with my hand loads and 110 ELDX Precision Hunter ammo.
    E5E1606F-6B0C-4C54-9069-A0827F1DDB91.jpg
    Last edited by FLS; 12-18-2022 at 12:18 AM.