Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non toxic-non steel questions

Default Non toxic-non steel questions

Those of you using steel alternatives for ducks… what are yall using or what have you used and willing to offer any reviews?
    I just purchased my first boxes of tungsten steel blend and going to give it a whirl. Starting with a few boxes of 3/9’s federal black clouds. I am not real big into buying into the marketing names etc but read an article that suggested these pattern well out of my gun so figured I would give it a whirl. It also was a little cheaper than straight tungsten. I was not so sure about the #9 aspect.I generally shoot kent fast steel and have been pretty happy with it. Paying $4-6 a shell seems pretty damn steep but got myself some and my brother some for our after christmas hunt at murphy. Thought it would make a good gift along with a marsh stool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shot the "hevi-metal" blend before with good results. If the blend you have have true #9 tungsten, my thought is if it will kill a turkey hammer dead, it will also kill a duck!

I know it’s not a tungsten alternative but had some guys shooting these out of some nice doubles on the boat at rails.
    Knockdown/range was impressive and they claim it patterns great for them. They left a few boxes I’ll try to put to use this season.
    I have always shot Kent as well.

DCBC2ECF-5646-4887-BAD4-AB7B094D9B6E.jpg

Boss copper coated bismuth, less than $2 a shell for the 20 gauge.
    Last edited by TreyMo; 12-15-2022 at 04:54 PM.

I’ve used the Kent bismuth #4s the last couple of seasons and it’s an unreal difference. It doesn’t make you shoot better, but it puts a wallop on birds when you connect and it’s was the most reasonably priced option that I saw a couple of years ago when I got a case. It looks like it’s gone up $20/box since I purchased and no way in hell I’d pay the $60/box they’re asking for now. Huge difference, but if you’re shooting them feet down over the deeks, quality steel 2’s-4’s gets the job done if you do your part.

Can't offer much insight for COTS stuff as I shoot #7.5 sphero-tungsten hand loads out of a 16ga or 12. 1oz in the 16, 1 1/8 oz in the 12. They smash.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 12-15-2022 at 05:25 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I'll 2nd the Boss shells. But any shell is worthless if you can't put it in the right place consistently. The weakest link is and will always be the guy behind the gun.

Boss

Default Non toxic-non steel questions

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    I know it’s not a tungsten alternative but had some guys shooting these out of some nice doubles on the boat at rails.
    Knockdown/range was impressive and they claim it patterns great for them. They left a few boxes I’ll try to put to use this season.
    I have always shot Kent as well.

DCBC2ECF-5646-4887-BAD4-AB7B094D9B6E.jpg
    That is straight tungsten. I looked at those but had never heard the brand. It was also double the price of what I bought

Kent makes some #5’s I almost went for at $64/10shells but that is damn steep.

Apex makes blends at $1.86 per round but need to buy a case where I saw it.

You can also buy apex 12 ga 10shots for like $70/box in 7.5,8,9 if you can find it.

The density difference between steel and bismuth didnt seem great enough to really catch my eye although I believe it is about a 20% difference. From a quick web search and feel free to correct me if I am wrong:

Tungsten is 1.7 times denser than lead and about 2.5 times denser than a typical steel.

I think bismuth falls between steel and lead but can also be used in lead only chokes.

I just started diving into this. Have covid for the third time and finding rabbit holes. I am sure someone will come along with the knowledge.

Last edited by Islandguy85; 12-15-2022 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    I'll 2nd the Boss shells. But any shell is worthless if you can't put it in the right place consistently. The weakest link is and will always be the guy behind the gun.
    Agreed but I would also be willing to throw in the pattern factor. I switched from an 870 to a SB2 a few years back and what seemed to pattern well (i think it was heavy steel, not tru hevi shot) in the 870 did not in the SB2. Kent fast steel patterns real well. I will pattern this shot I just ordered likely right after christmas.

Loaded up some 28 ga duplex bismuth/tss for my son. He wanted to kill birds stone dead as where he was hunting was thick and it was hard to find cripples.
    They worked better than 12ga 1 steel past 40 yards.

BOSS...
    My 3rd year shooting 20s and 1st year shooting 28s
    As expected, the 28 #6's delivered from my sxs were deadly on timber mallards this week!
    Also..... Shot the 20 #7's for the first time and they delivered deadly blows even at long range.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Boss
    12G 3” #5
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    That is straight tungsten. I looked at those but had never heard the brand. It was also double the price of what I bought

Kent makes some #5’s I almost went for at $64/10shells but that is damn steep.

Apex makes blends at $1.86 per round but need to buy a case where I saw it.

You can also buy apex 12 ga 10shots for like $70/box in 7.5,8,9 if you can find it.

The density difference between steel and bismuth didnt seem great enough to really catch my eye although I believe it is about a 20% difference. From a quick web search and feel free to correct me if I am wrong:

Tungsten is 1.7 times denser than lead and about 2.5 times denser than a typical steel.

I think bismuth falls between steel and lead but can also be used in lead only chokes.

I just started diving into this. Have covid for the third time and finding rabbit holes. I am sure someone will come along with the knowledge.

You’re mostly correct.

Steel is 7.8 g/cc
    Bismuth is 9.6
    Lead 11.3
    TSS is 18

With the results that I’ve seen with bismuth, there’s no reason for me to spend more on TSS. Some here can attest to an arguably larger drawback after chopping teeth on TSS shot…I don’t know about y’all, but I like to enjoy eating the game I’ve worked so hard to put on the table.

I bought a 20ga Franchi a few years ago. The guy selling it made a deal I couldn’t refuse, by throwing in three cases of hevi-x tungsten. One each of 2, 4, and 6 shot. That 6 is deadly on ducks of any kind out to 40-45 yards. I shoot a 3” #9 tss for turkeys and it’s deadly as well. I doubt I’ll ever shoot a 12ga for ducks again, as long as I can afford the tungsten

"Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

I haven't shot Boss yet.. I will. I've shot basically everything else. From the old Kent Tungsten, some bismuth, the old heavy shot when it was like a buck and maybe a half a shell. I bought a few boxes of apex's tss, I plan on shooting them this year. I don't mind shooting 4's in steel, but there is a difference.. and not a soul can convince me there isn't. If it was legal I'd rather shoot 6 leads over anything.

And to this day, for forty years shooting birds with a shotgun, I have never patterned one. I never plan to. I shoot fairly open chokes and don't think about it.

I have shot a few boxes of the black cloud 3/9s and I really like them. Got a case on sale and it was ~$2.80 a shot which is high but I really like the pattern and they seem to kill really well. I have also shot Migra's blend and I like them as well.

I don't understand the infatuation with all these new shells/shot...did steel #4s suddenly become ineffective?

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    I don't understand the infatuation with all these new shells/shot...did steel #4s suddenly become ineffective?
    Steel 4s suck.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I was about to buy a case so I did pattern a Beretta Xtrema 2 with a modified and improved modified chokes.
    I patterned fast steel, heavy metal, boss all on 3” #5.
    Boss patterned the best in both chokes.
    Fast Steel second.
    Heavy metal was third.
    Boss had more pellets on target by a decent amount.
    Was thinking of trying the #3/5s but in the 20g at some point.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965