Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Of course

Default Of course

We have wondered many times on here about where the used up batteries would wind up...

BERKELEY COUNTY, S.C. — A company that makes parts for batteries for electric vehicles is coming to South Carolina, a move the state says represents the largest economic investment in state history and will create roughly 1,500 jobs.

Representatives from Redwood Materials, flanked by state leaders including South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster, made the announcement Wednesday morning at the site in Berkeley County where it will be located.

The total investment from the company will be $3.5 billion, the company said. It's expected to generate 1,500 new jobs.

“Redwood Materials’ record-breaking announcement shows that our state’s strategic plan to remain a top destination for automobile manufacturers and their suppliers as the industry innovates is working,” said Gov. Henry McMaster in a statement.

The company said it will produce two critical components for batteries at the plant--the anode and the cathode--which they say will drive down costs and emissions. They said the goal is to build as much of their product from recycled materials as they can.

The site is at the Camp Hall Commerce Park in Ridgeville. The company said when it's up and running produce enough material for one million electric vehicles each year. The company says nearly all of components required for electric vehicle batteries are manufactured overseas. They plan to recover more than 95% of the critical minerals and rare earth elements from batteries, like nickel, cobalt, lithium, and copper, and then reintroduce those materials into the supply chain through the anode and cathode materials it produces for U.S. battery manufacturers.

The Carson City, Nevada based company said the goal is to begin operations next year. Individuals interested in working for Redwood Materials may apply by visiting the Redwood Materials website.

Redwood Materials works with multiple partners that have existing operations across the U.S., such as Volvo, Envision AESC, Proterra, Panasonic, Volkswagen and Audi. The new location is down the road from the Volvo facility in South Carolina.

The move is just the latest major announcement of jobs and investment in South Carolina around electric vehicles. In October, BMW announced it would produce an electric vehicle in the state and create a battery assembly facility nearby that's expected to mean 300 new jobs. And just last week, a Japanese electric battery maker announced it was coming to Florence County, creating 1,100 new jobs.

The state has also announced it's using federal money to create electric charging stations near interstates and on Tuesday unveiled electric charging stations at state parks.

https://www.wltx.com/article/news/lo...1-eacc925e89c7

South Carolina's newest superfund site.
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    South Carolina's newest superfund site.
    Not a big deal. Camp Hall is in Pringletown community. Mostly black population with a state prison. No chance of them putting the plant in Nexton where good access is already there I’m guessing.

We used to hunt Camp Hall back in the 80s and 90s. It was a really special place that unfortunately gave way to industry.
    every expert was once a beginner

One step closer to fulfilling Hank Williams Jr’s dream
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

And we get mad when hungry critters are trying to snatch children out of their front yards...

As info, Johson Controls had a big facility in Florence where they recycled batteries. They went out of business. Something about being non-profitable to do this kind of work and be in compliance with EPA rules. Imagine. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Y’all can have the electric car plant they building in Bryan County Ga. They say just the construction traffic has already got people wanting it gone before the slab is poured. The more the people the more the headaches

Tons of new business popping up in the state for solar panels, solar controllers, batteries and battery charging.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I really think all this investment into battery powered vehicles is gonna come back to bite the industry, hard. But they'll do what they always do and double down before admitting this whole thing sucks. The Left is prolly lining too many pockets for the industry to ever publicly state that.

Towing virtually anything in an electric vehicle is horrible. Then disposal of said batteries after they're trashed in a couple years. It's just bad all around.

I just don't think the end result is gonna be what the Left thinks it will, which is a dystopian world full of vehicles that don't run on fossil fuels, can't tow a boat, trucks can't deliver goods, all while sea levels continues to rise. Weather events will continue and climate will keep on changing whether our vehicles are powered by batteries or by 14 midgets pedaling their little hearts out.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 12-15-2022 at 03:00 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

And Afghanistan has the largest deposits of lithium in the world. The taliban inked a deal with China.

Still say the powergrid ain't ready for it on a large scale
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

And you think smoking at the gas station is dangerous.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Y'all both right

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

They've already started widening highway 27 toward Pringletown. My farm isn't far from all this growth and it almost makes me want to cry. They ran fiber down the road past my farm the last couple weeks. If they start putting in city water, I'll have to start thinking about giving it up. My choices will be to sell it to the yankees or subsidize and maintain the greenspace in their new neighborhood that I probably won't be able to hunt any more.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Default Of course

Virtually all new commercial development between Greer and Spartanburg has been built solely for BMW suppliers. It’s insane. Hell we just built a bridge over I85 so that BMW could access a 1,000,000 SF logistics building without ever having to put rubber on a public roadway. Every parking lot we build, they know the date down to the month and year that they will hire us to remove the parking lot so they can expand a building and build a new one. I always think “we’ll they’re out of room now” and every time I am wrong! Next week, we’re milling a lot we paved 5 years ago for expansion. This week, we’re paving a road inside the plant that doesn’t have 4 cracks in it so that they use all of their funding so the government will give them more next year. Stupid how much money that place takes in and the amount of government funding that they continue to get without need.

Think about this…every car built out of that factory is paid for before it is finished. They produce 1500 vehicles per day on average (all “X” models). The average base MSRP of those cars is roughly $62k. That’s $93M in revenue per day! $24,180,000,000 per year at 5 days/week and 52 weeks/year. Let that sink in. All the while, the government is helping fund more buildings for more companies to move here to feed that plant, making their overall operating and vehicle cost go down with each building due to suppliers being within a few miles instead of overseas. Sure, it creates jobs, boosts the economy, but damn. Do they really need the help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TXFowler; 12-15-2022 at 10:47 PM.

One would think the folks working there think it’s a good thing. And the folks working with the businesses that support them probably do too along with the periphery folks that get traffic through their businesses because of the plant. Shoot man, someone with your company may even be ok with it considering they can schedule work out years in advance because of it…..

That make the third manufacturer announcement in this state for batteries.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Wonder the amount of energy displaced to recycle the parts? Sounds like a net loss on energy to my simple little mind? I would think the energy cost to mine them, use them then to recycle overall……. Would be a net loss on the energy for a gas powered vehicle idk I think someone smarter could do the math……
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

We are going backwards. When the EV dream falls apart, we'll be back to horse & buggy.