Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bring me up to date on Mathew’s Bows

Default Bring me up to date on Mathew’s Bows

Due to couple new houses around farm I am leaning toward bow hunting it instead of using gun for most part

Seems like some very knowledgeable folks on SCD when it comes to bows and would appreciate a cliffs notes description of what to look for

Currently I have my Mathew’s Switchback XT. Guess I have had this bow 15 yrs plus. It has served me well

But if I am going to step back into bow hunting like to upgrade to newer Mathew’s

I know bows are like guns in that it is matter of opinion and not opposed to buying a used set up on ebay and not really opposed to all new set up either. We have a Mathew’s dealer here in Anderson but he is not open a lot that I see (I do know he has had some health issues from what I understand ) Also one in Easley if I am correct

Going to use my current set up rest of this year

Currently shooting 70lbs but as I get older not opposed to 60-65 and like the 85% let off

And NO a crossbow is NOT a consideration , what lot of my similar age hunting buddies going to
    Last edited by tprice; 12-11-2022 at 05:43 AM.

I’d spruce up that XT with a new sight and rest. Maybe set up a new arrow and then I’d kill things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Due to couple new houses around farm I am leaning toward bow hunting it instead of using gun for most part

Seems like some very knowledgeable folks on SCD when it comes to bows and would appreciate a cliffs notes description of what to look for

Currently I have my Mathew’s Switchback XT. Guess I have had this bow 15 yrs plus. It has served me well

But if I am going to step back into bow hunting like to upgrade to newer Mathew’s

I know bows are like guns in that it is matter of opinion and not opposed to buying a used set up on ebay and not really opposed to all new set up either. We have a Mathew’s dealer here in Anderson but he is not open a lot that I see (I do know he has had some health issues from what I understand ) Also one in Easley if I am correct

Going to use my current set up rest of this year

Currently shooting 70lbs but as I get older not opposed to 60-65 and like the 85% let off

And NO a crossbow is NOT a consideration , what lot of my similar age hunting buddies going to
    A single cam Matthews is still a good option. You already have one.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I would suggest something in .300…
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

If I were going to upgrade, I would not narrow my mind to Mathew’s. I think they have slipped the last couple years and I think you would be leaving a lot on the table. I wouldn’t purchase without shooting the new elite or prime. That’s just my personal opinion.

Go to some pro shops and shoot a few. Everyone’s different and it’s all about feel. I’ve shot the new Mathews and it nice but so are the V3 and V3X
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    I’d spruce up that XT with a new sight and rest. Maybe set up a new arrow and then I’d kill things.

Point well taken

Current has drop away rest (forget brand)

Mind if I ask what type upgrades in arrows and sights ?

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    A single cam Matthews is still a good option. You already have one.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    I guess that is kind of what I was asking, is there that much difference in what I have a newer model

Very proficient with mine out to 40-50 yards once I get back in routine of shooting but pretty much always limited my hunting shots to 30-35 yds
    Last edited by tprice; 12-11-2022 at 09:40 AM.

You have one of the best bows Mathews ever made.

That being said if you want a newer model look for a used VXR or V3 and put some good custom strings on it.

Point well taken

Current has drop away rest (forget brand)

Mind if I ask what type upgrades in arrows and sights ?

I guess that is kind of what I was asking, is there that much difference in what I have a newer model

Very proficient with mine out to 40-50 yards once I get back in routine of shooting but pretty much always limited my hunting shots to 30-35 yds

You don’t have to upgrade anything if you don’t want to. Chances are what you have will work just fine. I’d look over the string and cable really well and let things roll. The only reason I said anything about a sight and rest is sometimes people like to jazz things up when they get back into it. If it worked when you bought it 15 years ago, it still works now. Deer still die the same way.

"This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Just wondering the reason for using a bow now. Noice or Bullet path? If noice a can would be may choice. I hunt some small parcels and the number one thing I worry about is a poorly placed arrow, it happens. Having to ask a someone to track a deer on their property after they told you not to hunt it is not good.

Never give up the opportunity to get a new bow. New toys will make you stand in the yard and practice more often. If you want one, go buy it. The switchback XT was the heat in its day, but there is no comparison between it and the new flagship bows. You’ll shoot one of the new ones better with less effort while enjoying the experience more.

When you speak to poundage I would choose a bow that offers a few letoff options. I’ve shot a 70# bow at 85% letoff for a long time, so if I switch to a 60# bow I need to adjust the letoff to 75-80%. Holding weight is a personal thing, and I’ve seen quite a few people struggle with it after their groups open up because they dropped draw weight, but didn’t account for holding weight.

Mathews does not make the best bow. Their bows are fine, but several others offer bows that are equal to or greater. But if you have the most confidence in Mathews go for it. The Indian is more important than the equipment.

I would get my hands on as many as you can then choose the bow you like shooting the best. Be ready for sticker shock. It’s an expensive hobby these days.

Arrows are pretty important too. Don’t skimp on your bullets. Buy them a spine stiffer than recommended and add weight to your inserts.

It’s up to you if you want to upgrade equipment after this season. Go shop them one day and decide if it’s worth the financial investment.

8 limbs versus 4 seems like a pain to get in sync. I am sticking with my V3 for now.

Quote Originally Posted by pccutter View Post
    Just wondering the reason for using a bow now. Noice or Bullet path? If noice a can would be may choice. I hunt some small parcels and the number one thing I worry about is a poorly placed arrow, it happens. Having to ask a someone to track a deer on their property after they told you not to hunt it is not good.

Bullet path concerns me a LOT. I will post a pic that I did from phone.

I just have sat there and thought about how I would feel with someone sitting there with a rifle

The stand is the blue spot in red circle Stand has been in this spot at least 5-6 yrs (when that was basically a vacant field and now a mobile home and new house ) the other red circled areas are food plots (clover ). You can see the new house on bottom right of pic and when you look to left side of stand you can see a clear dirt spot. That is where Son in law/Daughters new house is They just moved in Thanksgiving week

I am going to move the stand where I have a shot back in the woods and re work food plots but honestly just being conscious of new houses and gun shots. Never really shoot much there any way. As for tracking deer from bow shot, that will be no problem

95% of deer come up out of those woods anyway (most of the wood in front of stand are on their land so plenty of funnels for bow hunting Just best thing about current stand is wind is normally in my face and I park truck behind it and never have to walk around much

For most part all of this field is pretty tall with broom straw, weeds and some thick stuff. Around the food plots I planted egyptian wheat , deer are very comfortable. Also have corn feed in middle of 2 back plots. I am going to relocate it after this season

53338CB6-9AAD-44CC-B542-949694F2D820.jpg
    Last edited by tprice; 12-11-2022 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CLEMSONDUCKHUNTER View Post
    8 limbs versus 4 seems like a pain to get in sync. I am sticking with my V3 for now.

Not sure understand

Let me explain. I have been bow hunting 40+ yrs and in all that time I have only used 3 bows (Bear Black Bear II, Browning Ballistic Mirage and Mathews Switchback XT). While I can shoot a bow very well and have for long time my experiences with other bows is very limited I just recall when I picked up current bow and how antiquated it made my old trusty Browning Mirage feel Guess that is why got me to thinking about time to upgrade 1 last time before I quit hunting

Not sure understand

Let me explain. I have been bow hunting 40+ yrs and in all that time I have only used 3 bows (Bear Black Bear II, Browning Ballistic Mirage and Mathews Switchback XT). While I can shoot a bow very well and have for long time my experiences with other bows is very limited I just recall when I picked up current bow and how antiquated it made my old trusty Browning Mirage feel Guess that is why got me to thinking about time to upgrade 1 last time before I quit hunting
    CD is referring to the new Mathews called the Phase 4. It is a split limb bow and in between each limb there is a piece of rubber sandwiched in to reduce vibration/sound. However when you hold one you will realize that each limb (even though it is technically "split" with a piece of rubber in between) is made as "one piece". I personally don't view that bow as an "8" limb bow by any means.

Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 9.13.21 PM.png

There is only one axle going through both pieces of the limb/limbs and there is zero air space between rubber and limbs. Tuning will not be an issue.
    Last edited by SCWOODROW; 12-11-2022 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCWOODROW View Post
    CD is referring to the new Mathews called the Phase 4. It is a split limb bow and in between each limb there is a piece of rubber sandwiched in to reduce vibration/sound. However when you hold one you will realize that each limb (even though it is technically "split" with a piece of rubber in between) is made as "one piece". I personally don't view that bow as an "8" limb bow by any means.

Thanks for the explanation

Cams haven’t changed on a Mathews much since what, the Halon? Draw cycle isn’t going to be much different from that model till now. And you can pick up used Halons and Triaxs for a song these days.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Tommy my pm is not going thru for some reason. Shop hours tuesday thru friday 12 -6 saturday 10- 5

Quote Originally Posted by turk View Post
    Tommy my pm is not going thru for some reason. Shop hours tuesday thru friday 12 -6 saturday 10- 5

Thanks, got it just now.

Drive by it all time and never stopped in.

Honestly thought I was done bow hunting but for some reason I am actually getting excited about starting back

Appreciate the heads up