Thread: GSP training

Default GSP training

So I’ve got a German short hair pointer that I need to get training for. He will be five months old December 15. I am in Camden. I would like a trainer that can train this breed to do all they are able. I want him to be quail dog first but also work the duck blind and dove field. He comes from hunting stock. Both parents are working quail dogs and he is birdy. He has been pointing since I brought him home. He is already introduced to ecollar, whistle, and retrieving. I haven’t done any upland work with him yet because I’ve never trained a bird dog. I was given the name of a guy in Georgetown by Rhett but now I can’t get in touch with him. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Preston

803-374-6147

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Fulmer of Sarahsetter Kennels in Aiken. He's the best I know. He has been at it for many, many years.

But I would get this book and do it myself.:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...BYmxem0xNs2XNv

The dogs are pretty much pre-configured and all it takes is some direction and discipline.

Kim Ward, Broomstraw Kennels would be another one to check with.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Thanks. Checking on these. And thanks for book recommendation I will be getting it too.

Kim is good. She's a shorthair person. Has at least one VC dog right now.

I trained my gwp upland mostly by myself with help of local NAVHDA

I think Mollies Master is training some upland dogs now too.

Quote Originally Posted by pstro View Post
    So I’ve got a German short hair pointer that I need to get training for. He will be five months old December 15. I am in Camden. I would like a trainer that can train this breed to do all they are able. I want him to be quail dog first but also work the duck blind and dove field. He comes from hunting stock. Both parents are working quail dogs and he is birdy. He has been pointing since I brought him home. He is already introduced to ecollar, whistle, and retrieving. I haven’t done any upland work with him yet because I’ve never trained a bird dog. I was given the name of a guy in Georgetown by Rhett but now I can’t get in touch with him. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Preston

803-374-6147

Are you looking for a refined bird dog or a hunt alone bird finder? Also I assume you will be hunting released birds? If so I encourage you to do it yourself. I’ve got a 9yr old female shorthair and I trained her myself. Our connection is leaps and bounds above the connection I have with my setter who is being trained by someone else.

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

i haven't talked or heard from him in years but rusty wilson from scape ore kennels near sumter may be able to help you

There’s a guy in white oak but his name escapes me.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

If you do it yourself, when you get to the point that you're introducing the dog to live birds, it is extremely helpful to have an experienced dog to train with. I showed my 10 month old GSP some birds for the first time this past weekend. He hunted on lead with my old dog. He was tentative at first but caught on pretty quickly. I was able to take off the lead pretty quickly after I saw how well he responded to whoa. Saturday he just shared points and backed the old dog but on Sunday, he actually pointed his own birds, honored uncommanded and retrieved. He doesn't have near the prey drive his predecessor has but I'm thinking it will suddenly click. He's got big shoes to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Mark Fulmer of Sarahsetter Kennels in Aiken. He's the best I know. He has been at it for many, many years.
    Second Mark. He trained my Braque. He’s probably trained 20/30 dogs a year for 30-40 years. He continues to answer my calls with questions.

I would also concentrate on one discipline first. I choose quail training. I did nothing but that for the first year. I put him on doves year 2 with little to no extra training. Hand signals are overrated for bird dogs if your not doing field trials. Put them in the general area of a downed bird and let their nose do the rest.
    Last edited by CofC Waterfowler; 12-07-2022 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Kim Ward, Broomstraw Kennels would be another one to check with.
    I’ve also worked with Kim through NAVHDA. She is also an excellent choice.