Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer Injury

Default Deer Injury

Does this look like a car to the face or a head shot shot gone wrong? First pic is a week ago and he was perfectly fine. Next two pics there is something wrong with his jaw/mouth. I'm thinking a head shot gone wrong. Opinions...

80747621-CEBE-4BEF-AF34-AACF50F4FF80.jpg

259460EB-27EC-492F-81A1-07BCF80A950B.jpg

5BA1E368-3AC5-42BC-9AC3-CCC40C8B133E.jpg

Someone’s scope is shooting low when the spot light was on him.

Head shot gone wrong. I speak from experience. Several years ago I had one facing me alert and I thought he was about to run. I was steady so I decided to shoot him in the neck. As I squeezed, he lowered his head and I hit him dead in the lower jaw. I didn’t realize it at the time….all I knew was he ran off and he shouldn’t have. Followed blood for 400 yards and lost it. A buddy saw him 3 days later in front of the headlights on the way out the woods and he looked dazed and confused. He said the jaw was hanging just like the pic. We found him dead in a large canal a week later, just like your picture.

Yeah looks like a shot. They are tough as nails but can't survive if they cant eat and drink. Hope you can get a shot on him soon yourself.

Default Deer Injury

Shot gone wrong. Been there done that. I 10 ringed this deer and tried to follow up shot while he was trying to lay down and die and hit him right in the face

[ATTACH]
    [/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tater; 12-09-2022 at 05:35 PM.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Dang I was extra heavy 8 years ago
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Shot gone wrong. Been there done that. I 10 ringed this deer and tried to follow up shot while he was trying to lay down and die and hit him right in the face

3A17C5E6-A970-49C1-B280-971FEF2E7060.jpg
    Show off.
    Carolina Counsel

Are you implying chasing kids is a form of exercise? damn nice buck that would probably look better without the hole in his face but it adds character for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    Yeah looks like a shot. They are tough as nails but can't survive if they cant eat and drink. Hope you can get a shot on him soon yourself.
    That's the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post

3A17C5E6-A970-49C1-B280-971FEF2E7060.jpg
    Isn’t this the buck that brought you to us in the first place?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Isn’t this the buck that brought you to us in the first place?

And y'all quit high jacking my post...

Shot more than likely. Sad to see.

I quit messing with head shots years ago after a bad experience. When they work they work great but if you hit anywhere lower or upper jaw forward in a broadside shot they wont die quickly.
    Went for a headshot at 150yds and the doe cut a flip and hauled ass. Knew that wasn’t good. Parts of the Lower jaw were laying on the ground where she was standing. Relatively easy track because it bleeds like hell and she is basically spraying it everywhere as she breathes. Found her and it looked like a hannibal scene as she was standing there staring at me in the dark. Shot at her several times with a .380 as she ran at/past me and finished with a knife.
    It was disturbing enough for me to quit w head shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After doing taxidermy for a fellow 30 years ago and seeing deer like that, I will never attempt a head shot, no matter how good of a shot I think I am.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I hear what y’all are saying but I am puzzled why somebody would attempt a head shot on a buck like that. He has a good rack…

I had only made head shots on does and quit doing that years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post
    I hear what y’all are saying but I am puzzled why somebody would attempt a head shot on a buck like that. He has a good rack…

If you aren’t going to mount it I guess it doesn’t matter. Easier to get the rack off if you separate it with a rifle first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post

I also think it's possible the deer was facing the shooter and dropped his head just prior to the shot as stated above. If not that, then someone's rifle/scope is off pretty good. We've been watching this deer since he was funky cow horn last year. Showed up this year as a nice 7 point. He's been on camera the last few weeks at 7 o'clock every night. Now he's shown up during the day with a busted jaw. I hope I see him this weekend. I hate for him to suffer.

My vision in my right eye isn’t what it was in the past, so I wouldn’t even attempt one now. I’ve always thought that deer were too jittery with head movements to feel comfortable, and as shown, slight misses can be horrific. The one fella I know that does it consistently we’ll whistles at them. I don’t whistle real well either
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Could've been someone that got shook up and pulled the shot. Heck it could've been one of those peckerheads on SC Deer Hunters Facepage site that zero's their rifle at 25yds or trusts the bore site from the idiot at Bass Pro/Box Store. Either way, that's a bullet wound and that deer is as good as dead. Hope you can put it out of it's misery.

I'd tell a story about someone that shot a nice buck in the head by mistake, busted the skull down the mid-line that one could've had a 2" spread or 22" spread. He hinged it though. Ain't naming names though. It was pretty funny though.

I'll shoot a doe in the head if I have a steady rest, known distance, certain rifle and she's calm and not jittery. Pigs, I'll pop one in the noggin any chance I get.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 12-06-2022 at 04:55 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Inspect the corn pile for alfatoxin