Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crossing a ditch

Back in the 2000s my farm was one of the first to get Hogs in my area. This is a year or two before Hog Dogs and Hog Hunting were getting to be a big thing. It was so bad you would actually see them rooting on the edge of the dead end paved road pulling into the farm in the middle of the day. 30 acre corn field would be mashed down and rooted up in a matter of days. They aggravated us for a quite a few years, until one year we killed and trapped close to 40 and the neighboring hunting club / block behind me killed close to 100. That put a dent in them for a few years, but we still killed a few every year. But we still had one extremely large boar that we would get on camera but never saw while hunting. About 5-6 years ago, a buddy of mine of killed this boar early one December morning slipping across a small nook in our biggest field. Sucker was huge 400lb plus. Took the front end loader to get him in the back of the truck. Knock on wood, since we killed that big boar, we haven't killed, took picture, or saw sign of a hog since.

Yeah, we never did dogs. I have friends, and know plenty that do.. I have zero desire to make a sport out of it, or stab one. We shot and trapped the shit out of them. It was done with indignation. I don't hunt with anger, more of an awe and an attempt to be respectful.. I mean when I look at doves and ducks flying I can't help to see them folding up. But hogs are different.

Funny how the tides have turned. Had landowners and friends in other parts of the county that would say I wish I had some hogs to hunt, or they can't be that bad, etc. To now, they are like I can't get rid of these bastards and wish I never got them. LOL

They showed up on us with a vengeance a couple of years ago after 10 years of having the place and only a handful of pictures. When they showed up happened to be the first time I planted chufa. Don’t know if that’s a coincidence or not. I can’t remember exact numbers but think we trapped about 40 with the pig brig and shot a few more. Now we only seem to have one boar roaming around that’ll hopefully make a mistake at some point and get shot. I’m wanting to plant a few acres of corn next summer

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Ground doves. Edisto. We always saw them growing up down here. I always had them in Wateree. Anyone seeing them?
    I spent 30 minutes watching ground doves on the dirt road and bluewings in a cut corn field puddle back in September outside Summerton. Not many in the upper Pee Dee, that I've seen anyway. Cool birds

Had a big hog run across the road on Hwy 215 last week at 2:30 in the afternoon. Between Monticello mart and Harden rd. First I’ve ever seen in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I've seen em swim the Congaree a thousand times with deer like ease.

Riddle me this:

Why are they all over BI and neighboring plantations, All over the Grove, All over Jehossee, but have yet to make it Edisto Island?
    Too many gators in the dawhoo

Did this guy say he wants pigs?
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

YES

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Did this guy say he wants pigs?
    You are welcome to come get all you want from our place. In my lifetime, there will be a poison, and I will piss on their rotting corpses
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    You are welcome to come get all you want from our place. In my lifetime, there will be a poison, and I will piss on their rotting corpses
    I'm right there with you. Not only are those things hell on native wildlife but they cost our country a ton of money every year
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    If only we knew someone with a decent pack of curs……

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Ground doves. Edisto. We always saw them growing up down here. I always had them in Wateree. Anyone seeing them?
    We’ve seen some in one of our fields off Lynches River.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Congaree National breeding grounds for pigs. They killed them for a while in '15-'17 but haven't done much since. The State article says they closed the park for at least 6 days and all the bureaucrats could kill were 43? A mere pittance of what's there. Complete failure to address the problem for the past 3 -4 years.

"Wild hogs are marching across South Carolina — and their destructive ways haven’t spared Congaree National Park, a swampy 27,000-acre woodland that is a cornerstone of South Carolina’s nature preserves. So in the government’s latest attempt to control the hog population, parts of the park were closed in October to let federal wildlife officials hunt and kill as many pigs as they could find.
    Ultimately, they gunned down 45 pigs, bringing to about 1,000 the number of porkers killed by federal agents at Congaree since 2015, according to the National Park Service."

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...#storylink=cpy

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...#storylink=cpy

I wonder how many they poisoned? Have friends that hunt by the park and they haven’t kill a pig all year. They used to kill a 50 a year.

I have a couple of tracts over there... killed about 10 on one and 25 on another one. They are not as bad as they have been... load them on the trailer and pull in to Gadsden and the locals will almost fight to see who gets to take it home to cook.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Heard that when Kingville ran dogs the other day they didn’t kill a pig.