Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossing a ditch

Default Crossing a ditch

Have about 70 acres in the low country, neighbor has killed 30+ this season on 200 acres, we have yet to see one. I have plenty of deer land nowhere near hogs so I dont care if they come on this track. Just confused as to why they aren't there. There is a drainage ditch the separates the properties that stays full, but I cannot imagine this keeps them out. Not complaining, just curious. Any ideas?

Neighbor has something you don't.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Because they have all they need on his side of the ditch. I'm also sure that there are hogs crossing especially boars looking for sows.

Hogs are not scared of water or to swim. Just be happy while they aren’t bothering you. They’ll come be your problem at some point.
    More Ducks, Less People

I have seen hogs swim 2 miles across lakes, and dogs riding them like surfboards across swamps, so no, drainage ditches won't stop them. In fact, they use them like highways and underground railroads...

Just wait till they eat all the food over there and then they will come visit you.

Fence it off NOW!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jspittler View Post
    Have about 70 acres in the low country, neighbor has killed 30+ this season on 200 acres, we have yet to see one. I have plenty of deer land nowhere near hogs so I dont care if they come on this track. Just confused as to why they aren't there. There is a drainage ditch the separates the properties that stays full, but I cannot imagine this keeps them out. Not complaining, just curious. Any ideas?
    If you figure it out, let me know so I can do the same thing. We have killed a dozen this year hunting/trapping. I doubt we have gotten half of them.

I have plenty of ground with great deer hunting, and none with hogs, I know most people don’t want them but I wouldn’t be opposed to having them available to hunt when the deer slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I have seen hogs swim 2 miles across lakes, and dogs riding them like surfboards across swamps, so no, drainage ditches won't stop them. In fact, they use them like highways and underground railroads...
    I've seen em swim the Congaree a thousand times with deer like ease.

Riddle me this:

Why are they all over BI and neighboring plantations, All over the Grove, All over Jehossee, but have yet to make it Edisto Island?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I've seen em swim the Congaree a thousand times with deer like ease.

Riddle me this:

Why are they all over BI and neighboring plantations, All over the Grove, All over Jehossee, but have yet to make it Edisto Island?
    Hush your mouth. I thought I had one, but it was a damn armadillo. In answer to your question, eyeaino. I have been asking the same. See a bobcat on Jungle Rd on the reg, all these deer, but no pigs?

We will go hog free for years.. my father saw some signs for the first time in probably ten years on our place a week or two back. Went years with the plantations south and some city land next to us loaded with them. They moved onto us, in about a year and a half we trapped, shot, and killed 130ish. Then they were gone for four or five years.. I'm cool with them not liking us. It is an anomaly, planted in everything hogs love too..

Weird right? In the 80's we used to see a track, call in the boys from Sumter and run them down. Usually twice a year. Then we LOVED seeing the next set of tracks the next year. If we killed 5 a year from 77-97 it was a banner year. Fast forward to the 2000's where we killed 542 in one year. The Congaree National Hog Breeding Park along with every slippery dick with a spotted dog becoming a "hog dogger" was a time bomb...

You can't give em an inch of safe ground.

Landowners bordering the upper lake are screwed by the lake itself. You can beat em down on you and keep em at bay for about 4 months.

They retreat to the cypress bottoms (or move to your neighbor) but return in the spring with a gaggle of new little corn munchers.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I remember y'all having the four and five hundred kill years, wild. When I was getting into my teens they had made their way into Boykin, had killed a few in Bettyneck before that.. I wouldn't call it jealously, but it was the wanting to kill things I guess, young and fired up. I was in my mid 20s when we finally got them, more mature, and saw the destruction.. I was done with them after that first year.. I guess it was around '09 when we really had them everywhere, it took a year to rid them. Most people don't really believe me when I say I hadn't seen one in ten years.

Now answer me this- why haven't I seen a ground dove?

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I remember y'all having the four and five hundred kill years, wild. When I was getting into my teens they had made their way into Boykin, had killed a few in Bettyneck before that.. I wouldn't call it jealously, but it was the wanting to kill things I guess, young and fired up. I was in my mid 20s when we finally got them, more mature, and saw the destruction.. I was done with them after that first year.. I guess it was around '09 when we really had them everywhere, it took a year to rid them. Most people don't really believe me when I say I hadn't seen one in ten years.
    Cycles. I well remember the first wild turkeys in the Congaree swamp causing quite a commotion since they had been extinct in the range. I am not all that old compared to the Universe or DrDuck...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Now answer me this- why haven't I seen a ground dove?
    Haven't seen a ground dove where?

I vividly remember when hogs showed up to the Lowfalls/Lone Star area.

I was 16. The first few killed we thought were escapees from black folks. By the end of the summer we realized that wasn't the case.

The following spring the local boys had a passel of hog dogs.

I have sworn I've killed a ground dove in the past few years, then just noticing they were young mournings.

Ground doves. Edisto. We always saw them growing up down here. I always had them in Wateree. Anyone seeing them?