Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol for the Ole Lady

Default Pistol for the Ole Lady

I am looking for a pistol for my wife to keep in her car/back pack. Does not really carry a purse much but she does have a pack she carries for work. What would be a good option?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

This topic usually causes a stir.

Just stick to a reputable gun maker in 9mm and she will do fine. I would just suggest going with something G26 sized or larger where she can get a full grip and the gun can absorb some recoil. Pocket pistols are usually not a good choice in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwaysvt View Post

Just stick to a reputable gun maker in 9mm and she will do fine. I would just suggest going with something G26 sized or larger where she can get a full grip and the gun can absorb some recoil. Pocket pistols are usually not a good choice in this situation.
    Yeah I was thinking 9mm. She shoots mine pretty well. With her work she ends up going to some questionable places as well as having to do basically a type of survey on some vacant properties. Last place she walked around she saw some tents where homeless people had been living on the property..... No one was home and thankfully someone else from work was also with her but that is not always the case.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Whatever you get her let her decide what it is. Take her to a range and let her shoot multiple pistols. Not sure of your location, but there are indoor ranges all around the state with gun rentals for her to try.
    Last edited by Luvin' Labs; 12-05-2022 at 11:54 AM.

Add a Hellcat to the list of ones to look at. I really like mine.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Buy this, forget the autos unless she’s going to become proficient with the functions and practice so she’s familiar with what to do when it jams.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product...56&preselect=1
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    Whatever you get her let her decide what it is. Take her to a range and let her shoot multiple pistols. Not sure of your location, but there are indoor ranges all around the state with gun rentals for her to try.
    I’ve gone to buy a G43 twice because I like my other Glock and like how easily they break down. Both times I’ve gone to shoot a G43 and another similar gun, I’ve shot the other gun better and didn’t buy the Glock. At the end of the day what she shoots best is the best gun for her.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

S&W Airweight. Wouldn’t even consider an auto for my wife in a situation where her life is in danger. I want her to have something that goes BOOM no matter what.

I second a revolver. We bought my wife a pocket sized hammerless Smith and Wesson .38 special. Small, ergonomic, and goes bang when you pull the trigger. Also packs a good punch. It's a little snappy but I'm confident that God forbid she ever has to use it, she won't even notice the recoil.
    Last edited by pluffmudder; 12-05-2022 at 12:27 PM.

Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm EZ

Sig P238 is a good gun for a lady.
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Ruger LCR in .38.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwaysvt View Post

What he said. A reliable mid sized 9mm would be ideal if she is carrying off body. The odds of something like a Glock 19 with good ammo jamming is extremely low and 15+ rounds of 9mm is better than 5 rounds of .38 every day of the week.

Something like a G43X would also be a good choice. Either way let her shoot a few different guns and see what she is comfortable with.

My vote would be 22 mag revolver. Revolver is simple to work, round is deadly, recoil is low. Ruger LCR is a good one, also six shot round count. S&W AirLite is 7 shots, another good option. Just my .02
    Last edited by dubs; 12-05-2022 at 01:17 PM.
    Formerly DM88

Hammerless Smith wheel gun...end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    What he said. A reliable mid sized 9mm would be ideal if she is carrying off body. The odds of something like a Glock 19 with good ammo jamming is extremely low and 15+ rounds of 9mm is better than 5 rounds of .38 every day of the week.

Something like a G43X would also be a good choice. Either way let her shoot a few different guns and see what she is comfortable with.
    From my experience semi's jamming due to females limp wristing is a big issue. Take that out and I agree 100%.

My wife has a ruger security 9. She had carpel tunnel surgery in both hands and the slide is easy for her to operate.

As much as I like my Sig 239, I like the idea of a revolver for anyone that doesn't shoot a lot. Reliable, and less to think about in a stressful situation. Also considering that this would be for personal protection, I think 6 shots or so is plenty.

My wife has a SW hammerless .38. She likes to shoot it and I like all she has to do is pull the trigger till it clicks should she ever need to.
    More Ducks, Less People

My wife had a S&W revolver but was always nervous with it b/c it didn't have a safety. She carries a Ruger LCP most of the time and also has a Bersa Thunder that she shoots really well. Both are easy for her to load. I let her handle/ shoot several guns though before we got those.