Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inflatable life vest

9C82A7A5-2733-4DC0-84A1-0254B44E7256.jpg

Chinook NRS vest is what you need. It’s lightweight and comfortable enough to wear all day. Everyone I know who fishes kayak tournaments have started using these instead of inflatables.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Float coat if you still can find the Stearns/ I had one and saved my ass more than once. Not from getting drowned but for being warm and dry/Just saying
    A float coat is worth its weight in gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post

Chinook NRS vest is what you need. It’s lightweight and comfortable enough to wear all day. Everyone I know who fishes kayak tournaments have started using these instead of inflatables.
    Perfect solution. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    The worst thing about an inflatable is the misconceptions a lot of LEOs have about what qualifies them as a PFD that counts. Federal Law places them in the same definition as a throwable device. They don’t have to be worn, only reasonably accessible.

I wear mine most of the time anyway because the USACOE guys will give you Chik-Fil-A coupons if they catch you wearing a PFD.
    Didn't realize that, was always told they had to be worn to count.

§ 160.077-3 Required to be worn.

(a) A Type V hybrid PFD may be used to meet the Coast Guard PFD carriage requirements of subpart 25.25 of this chapter, and 33 CFR part 175, only if the PFD is used in accordance with any requirements on the approval label. PFDs marked “REQUIRED TO BE WORN” must be worn whenever the vessel is underway and the intended wearer is not within an enclosed space.

(b) If hybrid PFD's with the marking “REQUIRED TO BE WORN” are not worn under the conditions stated in paragraph (a) of this section, other approved PFD's will have to be provided to comply with the applicable carriage requirements in 33 CFR part 175 and subpart 25.25 of this chapter.

(c) The following PFD's must be marked “REQUIRED TO BE WORN” as specified in § 160.077-31:

(1) Each Type V recreational hybrid PFD.

(2) Each Type V commercial hybrid PFD.

[CGD 78-174, 50 FR 33928, Aug. 22, 1985. Redesignated and amended by CGD 78-174, 60 FR 2486, Jan. 9, 1995]

Subpart 160.076 - Inflatable Recreational Personal Flotation Devices
    § 160.076-9 Conditional approval.

(a) A conditionally approved inflatable PFD may be used to meet the Coast Guard PFD carriage requirements of 33 CFR part 175 only if the PFD is used in accordance with any requirements on the approval label. PFDs marked “Approved only when worn” must be worn whenever the vessel is underway and the intended wearer is not within an enclosed space if the PFD is intended to be used to satisfy the requirements of 33 CFR part 175. Note: Additional approved PFDs may be needed to satisfy the requirements of 33 CFR part 175 if “Approved only when worn” PFDs are not worn.

I have a Cabela’s one and can’t attest to the auto deploy because I haven’t went swimming in it, but I can attest to the string working because Ive had to replace the CO2 twice after pulling it out of the hatch to throw it in and the string snagging something. It’s interesting trying to put one on that’s already inflated….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had two nice ones with my first boat. Left them in my under deck storage, and parked the boat with the bow downhill(not thinking). One good rain and they both deployed. I like to have never gotten them out of the hatch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Quote Originally Posted by boondoggle View Post
    Inflatables require maintenance and work if you take care of them. My mustang has activated both times I’ve gone overboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post

I was about to buy 2 more inflatables but I'm gonna check these out. Last time I bought replacement canisters for the 2 I have I could've dang near bought new inflatables......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Those kayak vests are the way to go. I keep buying them and they keep disappearing, but they are the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Float coat if you still can find the Stearns/ I had one and saved my ass more than once. Not from getting drowned but for being warm and dry/Just saying
    Here you go...

https://www.go2marine.com/shop-all-c...s-life-jackets
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Those kayak vests are the way to go. I keep buying them and they keep disappearing, but they are the way to go.
    Hmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.