Thread: Heading to SC

Hi I'm from Iowa and it looks like I'm going to be in the Spartanburg area for the week of St. Patty's day and I'm looking for any info on trout fishing in the area. My friend and I will be wade fishing only, we spin fish and fly fish. My brother lives in Spartanburg but he recently moved there and isn't too familiar with the river there yet. We are also willing to drive to North Carolina for a day or two to try it out up there as well. Any info is greatly apreaciated. Thanks.
    Cowboy Up

Iowa, try the following links. They will point you towards some nice trout water within an hour and a half of Spartanburg...

http://www.flyfishingnc.com/

www.kbrcomm.com/trout/

Check out wwww.hunterbanks.com That is a fly shop in Asheville, NC., and is a good source for up-to-date stream conditions/reports. You'll be close to the Mills, Saluda and Green Rivers. ALL are good trout streams. You can also call Bill & Chuck @ Foothills Fly Fishing in Greenville, SC for a where to go/how's the bite report. (864) 292-2406

North Mills. Wooly Buggers, with a dropper.

green river? i wouldn't go there...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Thanks for the tips. I was looking around on the web and it sounds like the Chattooga river is a decent spot, what sections of it do you guys recomend ?
    Cowboy Up

Iowa i guide in western north caolina, you ought to go up to ashville in that area youll do well on small streams and its only an hour away from spartenburg

From Spartanburg you are in for some travelin'

this time of year is Delayed Harvest in NC, catch & release only, single hook artifical, they are tuff on this. take 26 north bound towards asheville, get off on hwy 280, towards brevard, go about 2 miles, north mill road is on the right, go up it about 5 miles, to North Mill river rec area, they stock the hell outta that place and you can catch em in 2inches of wata, ask toofer! It should take you maybe 1hour 15 minutes once you go under I 85 on I 26 towards asheville.

Good luck and don't forget the Zugbugs and prince nymphs, try a soft hackle emerger as a dropper, they like green & yellow. By all means put as many split shot on that focker as you can with out loosing flies.

YOu let me know if you have any problems, just get your trout stamp and liscense, cus NCWRC has a hard on for outta staters, they stop at the parking lots to cruise liscense plates........no shit.

have fun and puttem back so I can catch em!
    Did you see that?