Thread: Missing Thread

What happen to my "Green" thread?
    Doin the bull dance, feelin the flow

I was deleting a post I made and accidentaly deleted the thread instead of my post. My bad. Carry on.

no big deal I just thought that I did something wrong.

Creston,

If you don't like the previous opinions and options, go to the flyshop and get a new St. Croix Avid Series 8 wt. It's the best all things considered value in flyfishing right now. Don't listen to anyone who tells you differently.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

All right I have a pretty good idea on the rod and reel type that I need.

How about line weights? is 20 lb test mono the same thing for casting rods and fly rods. It doesn't look the same. Fly line looks thick as hell. Almost like a cord.

Do you know of any good books that go through all of these types of topics?

The short answer is that the fly line weight in not the breaking strength but rather the rod size it is should be matched to. It is based on the actual weight of the casting section of the fly line.

Pick up almost any basic fly fishing book by Lefty Kreh. It will explain the rods, reels, line, leader, tippet and terminal tackle stuff along with some good casting instructions. I find his casting explanations very easy to read and put into practice. There's also plenty of free information online if you know how to google.

If the topic is that foreign to you, you might want to visit the local flyshop. Getting a casting demonstration and few minute "overview" might make the book learning to follow much more valuable.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

I told ya'll I didn't know shit about flyfishing.

None of us did at some point or another. No worries. If you are sincerely interested in it, though, most folks will gladly help you out. I met a guy one night at a bar and he mentioned he was going flyfishing the next morning. I'd never done it so I bugged him to death about the details. He finally asked me if I wanted to go and I said absolutely. He let me use his only backup rig and he and his buddies all helped me learn what to do that day. I actually caught a speckled trout that first day and was stoked. He just gave me the rod at the end of the day and I'd known him less than 24 hours.....an act of kindness I will never forget. Although that group of guys is now spread from Florida to Washington state, I've driven all night to fish with them at various times over the last 10 years. Built one of them a 14 weight for a trip to Costa Rica he really couldn't afford to take at the time. Not knowing much is what makes life exciting sometimes and helping rubbaheads is my way of paying those guys back in some way.

Rubberhead

the best money you could spend now is on a casting lesson. You won't develop any bad habits that will need to be unlearned.

Check the bargain cave at Cabelas for some deals on the old taper St Croix Avids. Nice moderate action that you won't soon outgrow.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"