Thread: Oak Island N.C.

I have access to a beach house on Oak Island (West Long Beach),for the month of March. I know NOTHING about salt water/brackish water fishing. If I take a 9ft. 8wgt. fly rod with me is there something I can fish for with it? Any info would be appriciated.
    \"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men.\" - MAURICE THOMPSON, The Witchery of Archery. 1878

Will you have access to a boat? Do you know anything about the area? Let us know what you know and we'll take it from there.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Swipa, Good to hear from you,it's been awhile since I've posted on this site. I have no boat and no knowlege. This will be like "BUBBA GOES TO THE OCEAN".I wasn't thinking about surf or ocean fishing, I was wondering about the smaller waterways inland,but I'm game for anything.
    \"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men.\" - MAURICE THOMPSON, The Witchery of Archery. 1878

Been there, done that many many times. If you could get some locals to give you any tips on good areas for shore fishing, that would be a head start. I'd scout at dead low tide to find flats and shallow points. Prolly go back to those areas when there is some water moving in or out and blind cast clousers. Also, if it's overcast, early or late, I might cast around the banks, pilings, rip/rap etc with a diver or any fly that doesn't sink and pushes a little water. There's lots of water behind Oak Island, I don't know it well enough to tell you exactly where to go. If you need any supplies, let me know and I'll put some stuff in the mail. Good luck and please give us the report.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

go up to caswell beach to oak island bait and tackle. the guy that owns the place(charlie) should be able to help you out. nice fellow.

pointer

Thanks to all for the info. I will check with the locals for sure. Swipa, thanks for the offer, I think I have enough gear to give it a try. Will give a report

whatcha catch man?

Rubberhead

Sorry it took so long to reply,I was on Oak Island march 18-22. It was 55-60 degrees every day with enough wind that you needed a parka to stay warm and the water temp was 49-50. All I caught was a runny nose. Had my 12yr. old son with me so it was hard to make a real serious effert. We had a great time anyway, went to Southport and took the ferry out to Fort Fisher, wich was used during the Civil War to assist the blockade runners at getting supplies through to Willmington. Good stuff for a 12yr. old kid.

long bow, i have a house in long beach on 68 st. SE, but if you go down to the other end of the island around the 1st st, its usually some good fishing, if you hit it at the right time of the year.. also if you go down to south port marina, i have a boat there in dry storage, but its some great fishing around the docks for kids and once in a while you get a nice fish, also another place you can fish is at the oak island golf course but Watch out for the damn Gators, they have some monster fuckers there. but fishing is usually the best between june to sept. but thats usually when i head down there for some days.. sorry it took so long to post on this.