Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 870 Rust

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

A few years I bought a 20ga express from Academy. I got a deal on it because it had a lot of surface rust. I stripped it down and scrubbed it with CLP every day for about a week. The first 2-3 days the rust kept coming back, but eventually it quit rusting. I haven’t had any issues since.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

RIG
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I bought an 11-87 in 2012 that had the same problem. It didn’t help that o started hunting mainly the salt marsh that year either. Anyway, I could have it essentially rust free getting in the truck in the morning, then watch rust appear during the hunt. Finally after enough oil, steel wool, copper brushes, and repetition the rusting slowed down significantly. I basically ended up taking off a majority of the parkerization, and now it is happier.

That being said, even with me cleaning it religiously after each hunt, it still had several failure to fire/load/extract episodes. So then I replaced essentially all moving parts available with aftermarket parts. This helped some. Then I polished the breech, which also somewhat helped.

Even with all of this, it still had occasional failures. After a frustrating day in Florida when I lost 3 teal due to gun failure (couldn’t water swat and they all got up and flew away), I’d had enough.

I bought an M2 in 2018 and haven’t looked back. Gun has run flawlessly for me and I couldn’t be happier. Now the Remington is a safe queen that I can’t sell because I’m too damn sentimental. It’s kinda like the old beater car that is your first rig- you learn the nuances and put up with them until you know better.

TLR steel wool and oil until it slows down, rattle can or cerakote, or buy a new gun.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Quote Originally Posted by abarill View Post
    I bought an 11-87 in 2012 that had the same problem. It didn’t help that o started hunting mainly the salt marsh that year either. Anyway, I could have it essentially rust free getting in the truck in the morning, then watch rust appear during the hunt. Finally after enough oil, steel wool, copper brushes, and repetition the rusting slowed down significantly. I basically ended up taking off a majority of the parkerization, and now it is happier.

That being said, even with me cleaning it religiously after each hunt, it still had several failure to fire/load/extract episodes. So then I replaced essentially all moving parts available with aftermarket parts. This helped some. Then I polished the breech, which also somewhat helped.

Even with all of this, it still had occasional failures. After a frustrating day in Florida when I lost 3 teal due to gun failure (couldn’t water swat and they all got up and flew away), I’d had enough.

I bought an M2 in 2018 and haven’t looked back. Gun has run flawlessly for me and I couldn’t be happier. Now the Remington is a safe queen that I can’t sell because I’m too damn sentimental. It’s kinda like the old beater car that is your first rig- you learn the nuances and put up with them until you know better.

TLR steel wool and oil until it slows down, rattle can or cerakote, or buy a new gun.
    I’ve got M2’s SBE’s that all see more use. This gun has killed a few turkeys and was the first 20ga turkey for me so I’d like to get it right.

Rattle can it or spend a lot of cash trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

There's also the option of the spray can duracoat which is cheaper than cerakote. I do not have any experience first hand with it. Or you can send it to be dipped, which should help some as well. My concern with dipping is the possibility for rust to develop deep to the coating and it will go unseen for longer amounts of time. The surface rust that develops on these later model remington shotguns seems to be very superficial and easily removed.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability