Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 870 Rust

Default 870 Rust

I have a newer 870 youth 20ga that just won’t stop getting spots of rust. Reciever, rib attachments, etc. Is there anything to do to stop this ie. deep clean and cerakote? I know these new Remingtons are not made like they used to be but damn this is ridiculous.

Where do you store it?
    I would suspect it's the climate that it stays in as the culprit.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

Same place as other guns with no rust- I’m gonna isolate it as I don’t want the rust around my others.

You could have it re-blued before you pursue any more costly routes. Bluing is an oxidation coating and it may be that the original bluing job did not penetrate the surface much.

Remington started that parkerizing a while back and it's gotten progressively worse as the years go by. Even the fit has gotten worse. Had to send my kid's 20 gauge to a gunsmith to get it put back together.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Cerakote and forget it.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Likely an "Expess" model .They would rust lf you stored them in oil. I just wipe the rust off with an oily rag once in a while and leave it kinda brown like the piece of shit that it is , adds character..
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Just think of it as patina
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
    I have a newer 870 youth 20ga that just won’t stop getting spots of rust. Reciever, rib attachments, etc. Is there anything to do to stop this ie. deep clean and cerakote? I know these new Remingtons are not made like they used to be but damn this is ridiculous.
    Yes. Frog Lube paste.

Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I redid a newer 870 awhile back and my I took it apart and stripped all the coating with hot water, a scotch Brite and some dawn dish soap. It ain't blued, it ain't cerakote, I don't know what it is. That was my one and only cerakoting job and I should have sourced it out.
    "Mother Nature and Father Time- still undefeated."

Quote Originally Posted by HARV View Post
    Likely an "Expess" model .They would rust lf you stored them in oil. I just wipe the rust off with an oily rag once in a while and leave it kinda brown like the piece of shit that it is , adds character..
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Remington started that parkerizing a while back and it's gotten progressively worse as the years go by. Even the fit has gotten worse. Had to send my kid's 20 gauge to a gunsmith to get it put back together.
    Was the problem getting the 2 arms on the slide into the receiver?

Eyup.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

i never tried it but was told some years back that furniture wax would seal it and prevent rust, i think it was johnsons paste wax that he recommended

For some reason, the bluing they use these days aren't what it used to be. I've got a browning rifle that I have to keep lubed up constantly. I've got some other rifles and shot guns that never rust.

Cerakote it.

This may be better off as a boat paddle as the cerakote quotes I e received are a little steep for a $300gun

This may be better off as a boat paddle as the cerakote quotes I e received are a little steep for a $300gun
    My primary duck gun is an 870 “Santee Special” wetlands camo forend and stock and black everything else. At the end of each duck season I rub it down with scotch brite and then hit it with a rattle can. Hasn’t let me down yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Go with gut pile and quackhead's ideas. Rattle can that bad boy.