Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LOOK ... Deer regs may change GZ 2

Default LOOK ... Deer regs may change GZ 2

There is a substantial behind the scenes push to change the season dates and limits in GZ 2 ... Proposed is to eliminate the archery and primitive weapon seasons and let Sept 15 be the all weapons opener ... Sept 15 for rifle, archery, muzzleloader, machete & spear or whatever.

This is no joke ... I've spent the last 2 days on the phone and in meetings with DNR and Farm Bureau ... FB is actually voting on legislative advisory changes at the Myrtle Beach Statewide Convention this week ... FB is pushing it hard on account of crop depredation and vehicle insurance claims ... Limits could change too ... DNR seems to be onboard, and DNR and APHIS will be in attendance at the FB convention ... Legislature sets the seasons in GZ 2, and DNR and FB have their ear.

I'm kinda on the fence about this, meaning if there is a reasonable limit enforced, what difference does it make when or how you harvest ? An all inclusive season would make it easier for DNR to police.

Personally, I had rather hunt after it's colder and not battle mosquitoes or have to deal with a deer carcass in the heat ... I'd also like to see Tele-Check instead of tags.

What are your thoughts ???

I don't care what they do but I don't think it will have any effect on the reasons they are citing.

I gave up bow hunting because climbing a tree and sitting in the heat is miserable in the second half of September in Chester county. Our bucks are still real predictable then too

Correct me if I’m wrong but deer tags are issued statewide. It doesn’t matter what GZ you live in you get same amount, so that makes the limit the same for everyone. Why wouldn’t the season open at the same time? I’m not really much of a deer hunter anymore and don’t plan to hunt in the heat but common sense is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default LOOK ... Deer regs may change GZ 2

Haven’t checked into this, but I was “informed earlier today that folks in game zone 3 and 4 get two more doe tags than us folks in game zones 1 and 2. Any truth to that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by billbuster84; 11-29-2022 at 09:26 PM.
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

5 bucks and 5 does in the upstate. It doesn’t matter if you have 157 tags. With that said, IF you purchase ALL 4 of the additional doe tags then they will also give you 2 extra doe tags that say “bonus tag”. These tags are only good in GZ 3 and 4.

Terrible decision it if happens. When hunting gets good they have not been pressured for a month to month and a half. I wish zone 4 would push back gun opener to October.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Gonna have to up my corn budget if I can sit with a rifle on sept 15th.

On a serious note I'm not sure this will bode well for the population. I swear it's year by year though. Some seasons you can't step foot in the woods without seeing deer and the next season will be a struggle
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I'm not doubting Swift Strike, but it is an extremely easy process to get farms enrolled in the DQP program for plenty of tags and only slightly more involved to get a depredation permit for out of season night-shooting.

DNR citing crop depredation as a reason for season changes in a region of the state where cropland percentage is much lower than the rest of the state when doe-jihad is already easy seems suspect.

3 doe tags, 1 buck tag. End of discussion.

Farm Bureau sucks and this is a stupid idea.

Anything that simplifies the rules and eliminates the tags is great by me. I have tags for me, tags for 2 daughters, does tags. The tags all read different. It is just too much, too complicated. Telecheck works for me.

This is the opposite of what needs to happen in my opinion. A regression not an improvement.

Managing a deer heard for insurance reasons without knowing how many deer are being killed currently ....?

Is this going to change the number of deer any of you currently kill?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Another attempt by our DNR to reinvent a wheel that already exist but instead of round they think their square version will work better.

Different for different sake and not for the benefit of the resource.

If you are allowing crossbows during archery season what does it matter? Most dudes shoot WTBD inside 100y on corn piles with centerfire rifles anyway, and now you can do that with “archery” tackle.

Insurance lobbyists want deer gone off the face of the earth. They are too biased and shouldn’t get a say on anything touching wildlife.

And after hunting a bunch of places that don’t allows guns during breeding season I would love to see any firearm season other than a youth weekend pushed back to December. But I know that’ll never happen in the south. NC is starting to get this. We lose a week of muzzleloader next year, so it’ll be the second week of November before the guns come out.

Why would Farm Bureau have an opinion on deer?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Another attempt by our DNR to reinvent a wheel that already exist but instead of round they think their square version will work better.

Different for different sake and not for the benefit of the resource.
    can you just have some appreciation for "state bureaucrats and politicians"...they don't need a thank you just a day of not complaining about them. Remember, everything they do is for your best interest and the greater good. especially since you / we aren't capable of making these decisions for ourselves.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston