Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Hunting across property lines- thoughts?

Default Dog Hunting across property lines- thoughts?

I am writing this post to see how you all would handle this situation.

I am currently a non-resident (Florida) that owns land in South Carolina and have for about 5 years now. It is less than 50 acres and has neighboring properties that would make a block of about 500 acres still hunting. There is a dog club nearby that constantly has dogs running through the property. The first few years it was bad, and they were in my yard ALL the time. Still hunting was getting old during it too. I figured if I couldn’t beat them join them as I have dog hunted plenty in Florida and enjoy it. I was told the club was full.

A few years ago, some of the adjacent landowners that were residents caught some of their dogs and made a bigger stink about it. As a result, it has improved some over the past 2 years.

Fast forward to this year, multiple times we have had our kids and dogs in the yard and here they come. My wife has to put the kids inside and also our dogs as I do not want them getting bit, in a fight or my dogs following them into the road and being hit by a car. I try to be pretty amicable but if one of the above things happened I would absolutely lose it.

In my opinion, there is a right and wrong way of doing things. I have been part of multiple dog clubs in Florida and there is absolutely no way we would be able to run this way. We could stop our dogs and are by no means crossing property lines every weekend. Neighboring landowners were always welcome. So on and so forth.

I guess the issue itself has compounded over the years where it is frustrating that I have dogs in my house yard on the weekend. Not that I want them on my property as a whole, but it would be a lot less frustrating if it wasn’t in the yard itself when we are trying to have family time etc (I really feel like I don’t have to explain this further…). I know darn well they wouldn’t care for me sitting outside their property honking my horn on a Saturday with my dogs in their yard.

Just curious how you all would handle the situation.

Few options I have thought of:

Catch their dogs and call the warden
    Get with the neighboring landowners and try to fight this on a united front

What say you?

SSS
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Collar technology has made it pretty easy for those that WANT to do it right to do so. Those that DONT WANT to do it right will never do it right.

I want dog hunting to continue in the south, but that choice lies squarely with the dog hunters, themselves.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

You're right in any way you choose to pursue it, except shooting the dogs. Your neighbors are assholes. I'm a nice guy until I am not, and when pushed in that direction I will be the biggest and best asshole on the planet. Bust their ass.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I am a dog hunter and we made a change in our club a couple years ago that if you cant get a handle on your hounds you're not welcome at our place. I'd be willing to bet 95-98% of our dogs are now tone broke and the ones that aren't are puppies and are working to getting there. We also went to only beagles and only turn out 3 or 4 per pack. We never turn out close within 300 yards of a property line anymore either. When we do stand a property line standers are told to kill the deer on matter the size to stop the dogs. It sounds to me like your neighbors are the ones giving the good clubs bad names.

What you gonna do when a dog runs a deer across your property and a hunter take a shot that hits 1 of your kids, dog, house, or vehicle? It’s too late then. You might want to stop this now.

From my experience you are between a rock and a hard place and need to physically catch these guys on your land to make a case. The dog hunting debate has gone one for 2 decades now and the bad apples don’t give a shit. They use the technology to slip and cut off their dogs on county roads and properties that aren’t theirs, not to stop their dogs. The ones I’ve been plagued by have changed their habits from hunting on the weekends to hunting random days of the week quickly where they can get in and out and they are impossible to police, not that they give a shit anyway because they split the cost of the tickets amongst each other. Until there is an acreage restriction it’ll never stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    From my experience you are between a rock and a hard place and need to physically catch these guys on your land to make a case. The dog hunting debate has gone one for 2 decades now and the bad apples don’t give a shit. They use the technology to slip and cut off their dogs on county roads and properties that aren’t theirs, not to stop their dogs. The ones I’ve been plagued by have changed their habits from hunting on the weekends to hunting random days of the week quickly where they can get in and out and they are impossible to police, not that they give a shit anyway because they split the cost of the tickets amongst each other. Until there is an acreage restriction it’ll never stop.
    I was trying to catch the dogs last weekend but they usually stay just out of reach. A lasso would probably work. One of the ones I was going to grab def. looked like he was going to bite me which I haven't had happen before.

So assuming I do try to put an end to this. How does SC law work. If I catch the dogs they get a ticket but that really doesn't stop anything?

Build a fence and be done with the lot.
    DILLIGAF

They get a ticket. If you catch them. If you turn the dogs in to the pound, they can bail them out, but not until they have been spayed/neutered. You really can't stop an asshole from being an asshole. I am a landowner and I also enjoy hunting with dogs. I can understand both sides of the equation. I don't want hunting with dogs to end, but the bad apples may eventually eliminate their own fun. If a dog is aggressive towards me on my property, it will end badly for the dog.

Dog hunters have a much higher propensity to trespass (for a multitude of reason) than still hunters and that is a fact. I have dealt with this at least twice in the last year.

Quote Originally Posted by ricequacker View Post
    Dog hunters have a much higher propensity to trespass (for a multitude of reason) than still hunters and that is a fact. I have dealt with this at least twice in the last year.
    I'm sorry but there are an exponential higher amount of still hunting trespassers than dog hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by b.t.guardian07 View Post
    I'm sorry but there are an exponential higher amount of still hunting trespassers than dog hunters.
    It is the dogs not the people crossing lines for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmet Gobbler View Post
    They get a ticket. If you catch them. If you turn the dogs in to the pound, they can bail them out, but not until they have been spayed/neutered. You really can't stop an asshole from being an asshole. I am a landowner and I also enjoy hunting with dogs. I can understand both sides of the equation. I don't want hunting with dogs to end, but the bad apples may eventually eliminate their own fun. If a dog is aggressive towards me on my property, it will end badly for the dog.
    It will end eventually and I hate it. Eventually there will be a minimum number of contiguous acres required and the way we're going there aren't going to be enough large tracts to allow it. It'll all be hacked up into mini farms and owned by yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjw View Post
    It is the dogs not the people crossing lines for me.
    Correct. As said above so many don't utilize the new tech that's readily available to train the dogs to stop or atleast do their best to. But sometimes dogs are hard headed. I'm sure it's a pain to have them on property. But I've never met a dog that was mean unless it was over trying to drag the dead deer away from it. They are all used to being caught. And many don't like to be because they want to keep going and do their job. I hope the best that you handle it and that the hunters run a tighter ship. There are many that give us a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Build a fence and be done with the lot.
    That would be an incredible undertaking from a cost and labor standpoint. Also, I am to the point I am not going to bend for someone abusing my private property rights. I am pretty reasonable but it has hit the breaking point.

how many acres is the neighboring dog club?
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    how many acres is the neighboring dog club?
    It is not all continuous. I would say 3,000 -4,000 in total. Probably blocks of 400-1200.

Quote Originally Posted by b.t.guardian07 View Post
    Convictions maybe, it’s way easier to make a case that’s for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Convictions maybe, it’s way easier to make a case that’s for sure.
    Agree. I think reaching out to the landowners that lease to them explaining the situation and potential problems that could arise may change the tone?

I am not trying to be litigious or threatening, but the reality is if something happened to my dog, family etc it would not be a timid response. Quite frankly, they open themselves up to a world of liability letting this go on. I know for a fact that there are close calls for hunting accidents amongst the members.