Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow Skiing

Default Snow Skiing

Wife has decided she wants us to go out of town a few days after Christmas. My girls love snow skiing, but their only real experience is at Winter Place which has plenty of easier trails for them. I took them to Cataloochee two years ago and we did the same slope most of the day. I'm thinking of either Sugar or Beech this go around, but it's been 20 plus years since I've been to either one. Which of those places is more "beginner skier" friendly? My oldest doesn't mind the challenge, but my youngest enjoys easier slopes. I've looked at the trail maps for each, but would like more first hand knowledge. Also, if any of you has a VRBO up around Boone, let me know. Thanks.

Don't even waste your time driving to Beech /Sugar after C....go ahead and at least get to Winterplace. Skiing is horrible there 97% of the time....it is horrible there 100% of the time early season. They don't even have half of their runs open and only 3 lifts currently.

The extra hour and a half worth of drive on both ends will be well worth it.

Beech has a cooler atmosphere/lodge setting. Sugar has better and more runs.

NC skiing is like SC public duck hunting, and I don’t do either
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I wouldn’t think the skiing would be any good after Christmas between the crowds and snow coverage.

I would drive the extra couple hours to Winterplace.

How old are the kids? Out of the two you listed I like sugar more, but I'm with the majority going the extra distance for winterplace.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    Don't even waste your time driving to Beech /Sugar after C....go ahead and at least get to Winterplace. Skiing is horrible there 97% of the time....it is horrible there 100% of the time early season. They don't even have half of their runs open and only 3 lifts currently.

The extra hour and a half worth of drive on both ends will be well worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin4 View Post
    How old are the kids? Out of the two you listed I like sugar more, but I'm with the majority going the extra distance for winterplace.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    I was thinking about just telling my wife we are going to Winterplace. It's only 4 hours from the house which is comparable to driving to Pawleys Island. The kids are 18 and 16. I consider them beginners b/c they've only been a handful of times. The youngest doesn't like a lot of steep, fast runs. She enjoys the longer, slow trails.

The only skiing on the east coast worth driving for is Snowshoe, WV.
    At least I'm housebroken.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    The only skiing on the east coast worth driving for is Snowshoe, WV.
    I've never been there. Heard it was great, but it's two hours past Winterplace. We will most likely only ski for a day so it doesn't seem worth it to me to drive 6 hours for one day of skiing...

I forgot to add ... As mentioned, NC skiing is not that great, it's a teaser. With that said, if you can, go on a week day instead of the weekend. Week days (that aren't on holidays) are 100x better than weekends. On weekdays I can usually get off a lift, ski down, and be back on the lift to go up right away or within a few minutes. On weekends you're waiting in line and dodging people every where on the slopes.

WV over NC for skiing. Should go for 2-3 days of skiing and get the kids a private lesson on day 1. One several hour session will do wonders and the next few days just have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    WV over NC for skiing. Should go for 2-3 days of skiing and get the kids a private lesson on day 1. One several hour session will do wonders and the next few days just have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They are good enough to not need lessons. They just enjoy different things... fast vs slow

Winter place isn't better skiing than sugar.

Spring for the airline tickets and head west. Worth every penny and the skiing is 10x better and 10x more actual skiing.

or try Vermont .
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Winter place isn't better skiing than sugar.
    Mountains are basically the same, but the conditions consistently will be better at WP. Better snowmaking capabilities and not near as much ice pack due to more opportunities to run the blowers.

I spent more time than I should have at Beech, Sugar, and Hawksnest back in my time at Boone skiing 3-4 days a week during seasons.....our trips to WP would be noticeably better than anything the Boone area had to offer, with Snowshoe being head and shoulders above WP.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    Spring for the airline tickets and head west. Worth every penny and the skiing is 10x better and 10x more actual skiing.
    Although I understand your stance this has nothing to do with what I was asking about. I'm looking at a Tuesday - Thursday "getaway". Stay on topic...

prayers sent for that
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Fake a kidney stone