Thread: Elephant ears

Default Elephant ears

I planted some elephant ears in the flower beds earlier this summer, and by the end of summer they were huge. I really like the look of them, til the frost a couple weeks ago. Now they're withered up and look like crap. Do these things come back in the spring? Google is all over the place about it. If they're not going to come back I'm going to dig them up. They really look bad.
    "Mother Nature and Father Time- still undefeated."

Pretty sure you cut them off at the ground and they will come back in spring. My parents have some around their pool and i don’t thing they replant every year.

Cut them down. They'll come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Five years from now there will be a thread asking how to get rid of them and keep them from taking over the bed.

If you want to keep them; dig them up and put them in a large pot. Bring them in for the winter.

My mom had one when I was a kid. It was gigantic and lived on our back deck until winter then lived in our den. I had an Irish Setter that made trying to destroy that thing her purpose in life. It always came back. Always. And bigger than ever, lol.

Once a year my dog would destroy that thing and my mama would beat the everloving shit outta the dog. Repeat every year, lol.

I have them planted between windmill palms under river rock. They come back every year.

They come back. You can remove the dead leaves after the frost so it is not ugly. You can also easily split them. Just using a shovel to split off a portion of the root ball. They will spread each year.

Dang, y'all. I thought this was gonna be about fair food.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Thanks, guys. I'll cut them off, and if they come back, great. If not, oh well. I've already got 4 majestic palms in the house cause they can't take cold weather, and I ain't an inside plant guy.

Black Bart, I'm a fat dude that lives in south Carolina. One of the first things I ever Googled was "how to make homemade elephant ears, funnel cakes, and deep fried oreos.' We're good on that front.
    Last edited by Pcole; 11-26-2022 at 11:40 AM.
    "Mother Nature and Father Time- still undefeated."

We twins, homie.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Cut it and itll regrow.i like to piss on mine and watch it drip off when the sun hits it just right…reminds me of a summer rain storm.

Do not ever put a piece of elephant ear in your mouth. It will make you feel like you've swallowed a thousand stinging bees. I watched two boys do it on a dare one time. Ten seconds later they were flat out sprinting to a green, scummy pond and drinking from it on all fours like dogs.