Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightest, Warmest Coat for Bowhunting?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Lightest, Warmest Coat for Bowhunting?

I bought a Rivers West jacket about 15 years ago that was purported to be comfortable down to 25 degrees with only one layer underneath. It is lightweight, but it has never been that warm to me. It also doesn't breathe well, and so it stays wet on the inside.

Any better suggestions? Thanks in advance!

For bow hunting I prefer to wear a few thin layers instead of a bigger jacket. I stay warm without the bulk. I also like fleece if the wind isn’t blowing.

Kuiu proximity is legit

Second on the Kuiu proximity jacket and bibs. I just got back from The Midwest and morning temperatures with the windchill were between 6° and 21°. I have used the Sitka Finattic series in the past and the Kuiu proximity has less bulk and it’s quieter in my opinion.
    Last edited by BugBuster; 11-22-2022 at 07:35 PM.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by BugBuster View Post
    Second on the Kuiu proximity jacket and bibs. I just got back from The Midwest and morning temperatures with the windchill were between 6° and 21°. I have used the Sitka Finattic series in the past and the Kuiu proximity has less bulk and it’s quieter in my opinion.
    I noticed you had Kuiu opposed to Sitka on. Been meaning to ask you how you felt about the Kuiu.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by BugBuster View Post
    How does the wind stopper compare to the stratus? I’ve about wore the ass out of my stratus pants and was looking at replacing soon with the proximity or another stratus. Also the proximity looks a little thicker?

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    How does the wind stopper compare to the stratus? I’ve about wore the ass out of my stratus pants and was looking at replacing soon with the proximity or another stratus. Also the proximity looks a little thicker?
    I will probably sell my fanatic coat and bibs.
    Last edited by BugBuster; 11-23-2022 at 03:25 PM.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Skree hardscrabble
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I like heavier fleece for that.

Can not stand to wear bulky clothes in deer stand.

Sitka Fanatic hoodie and Stratus jacket will get you through anything the SE has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Sitka Fanatic hoodie and Stratus jacket will get you through anything the SE has to offer.
    Get whatever that sitka puffy coat is called. T-shirt, that thing, whatever you want over that and then start sweatin'.

If you want lightweight and warmest you gonna have to go to something with down insulation.

I like a down vest layer for bowhunting; a lot of core warmth without contributing to a bulky sleeve.

Doesn't have the cool factor but I bought one of these off a member and it's been great for the majority of our weather.

9035088D-73D9-457C-8060-484AD7431CB2.jpg

Get one of these vests and you won’t need to worry about which jacket you have on…

https://hilipert.com/me/hilipert/hea...ign_id=1767718

Which Rivers West jacket do you have? I’ve got an old Dakota jacket that I’ve learned to not wear while walking in due to the sweating. I just don’t put it on until I’m ready to sit down.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Get one of these vests and you won’t need to worry about which jacket you have on…

Which Rivers West jacket do you have? I’ve got an old Dakota jacket that I’ve learned to not wear while walking in due to the sweating. I just don’t put it on until I’m ready to sit down.
    Are you serious about this? Bc my girl friend freezes in the winter. Like, heat in 75, heating blanket, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    Are you serious about this? Bc my girl friend freezes in the winter. Like, heat in 75, heating blanket, etc.
    I've never used one, but have read posts by guys who do and swear by them for cold weather. And at that 50% price it may be worth a try for your girl friend. The kicker would be to keep at least a 10,000 mah battery and maybe another 5,000-10,000 for backup.

Let us know what she thinks of it.

I checked while I was looking for something else and Amazon has this vest for $45…

https://www.amazon.com/Vest-Electric...56284166&psc=1
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 11-23-2022 at 07:45 PM.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    StrutnBPS, I saw the link to this heated vest review in my DIY newsletter and thought you might like to read it...

https://www.familyhandyman.com/list/...MagStatus=NONE
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post

It's the Rivers West Cascade Mountains. I do usually carry it and put it on once at the stand. I recently walked out with it still on and got soaked.

I usually don't bring it into action until it's below 40 and rarely hunt in under 25. I do layer but just trying to go as skinny as possible. It shocks me how wet it gets even when I don't think I'm sweating. It needs to be washed every time I wear it.

Thanks for all the advice!

Own a pile of Kuiu gear but when it's cold here, the patterns don't work. Aftco reaper hoodie. Layer under.