Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wool base layer

Default Wool base layer

I'm asking for reviews of wool base layers. I have under armor and scentlok base layers but would like something less bulky.
    I bought some first lite stuff that was 30% off and I've worn it the past 2 mornings and felt like I could have been warmer.

100% Merino wool. I just retired a pair of First Lites I've had for years. Replaced them with these, which I highly recommend....

https://chenegear.com/collections/ba...erino-wool-top

https://chenegear.com/products/merin...pr_seq=uniform
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I have some of the black ovis merino sets. Really like em. Can get em in sale on camofire
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Merino from any source. At this time of year it’s hard for me to think you’ll need anything above a first lite wick weight or other brand of similar thickness. It’s just not that cold here. Black Ovis os great quality without the premium price point of Sitka, first lite or others. Merino is the take away. Not the brand.

That being said, the first lite furnace weight merino is warm enough to heat a frozen casserole. I can’t wear them if I’m walking any further than 100 yards or I’ll be sweated up too bad. I got their zip offs so I can just put em on when I get to where I’m going and take them back off before the walk out.

Surprised you don't just kill the sheep with your bare hands.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Merino from any source. At this time of year it’s hard for me to think you’ll need anything above a first lite wick weight or other brand of similar thickness. It’s just not that cold here. Black Ovis os great quality without the premium price point of Sitka, first lite or others. Merino is the take away. Not the brand.

That being said, the first lite furnace weight merino is warm enough to heat a frozen casserole. I can’t wear them if I’m walking any further than 100 yards or I’ll be sweated up too bad. I got their zip offs so I can just put em on when I get to where I’m going and take them back off before the walk out.
    I understand what merino is. I even know it comes from sheep. I have plenty of stuff for now I'm just looking for something less bulky for when it starts getting into the 20s. I tried the first lite kiln and wasn't impressed with it in the low 50s granted there was a pretty good breeze yesterday morning and I only had a thin pullover on over it.
    Last edited by Huntinjunkie; 10-02-2022 at 01:20 PM.

Kuiu merino. It doesn't itch.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    I was looking at that

Quote Originally Posted by Huntinjunkie View Post
    I understand what merino is. I even know it comes from sheep. I have plenty of stuff for now I'm just looking for something less bulky for when it starts getting into the 20s. I tried the first lite kiln and wasn't impressed with it in the low 50s granted there was a pretty good breeze yesterday morning and I only had a thin pullover on over it.
    Source as in manufacturer. Not animal.

And you seem like a cold natured fella. Get the furnace layers.

Two of each.

Any 100% Marino wool base layer is going to retain the most body heat.
    I have used the Icebreaker brand for hiking and duck hunting out west for a few years and it goes on every day of the season.

How hard can it be to buy merino wool in 2022? Buy it for $30 or buy the same with a branded label on it and spend as much as you want...

Get a hoodie version and wear the hood. Keeping cool air off neck and head is like turning on the heater. Add a truly wind proof jacket and you’re covered for most all weather around here unless you’re soft. I don’t know where you’ve been the last 2 mornings but if you were in SC anything more than a short sleeve cotton t shirt should have been more than enough. You may want to look for down options if you’ve already been cold here.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    Get a hoodie version and wear the hood. Keeping cool air off neck and head is like turning on the heater. Add a truly wind proof jacket and you’re covered for most all weather around here unless you’re soft. I don’t know where you’ve been the last 2 mornings but if you were in SC anything more than a short sleeve cotton t shirt should have been more than enough. You may want to look for down options if you’ve already been cold here.
    I have been wearing a hoodie at work for over a week now lol. Guy I work with wore a flannel shirt all day yesterday.

First lite boot cut with zipper on side. Also the short sleeve smart wool t-shirts are the best piece of clothing for sc fall and spring that I’ve bought in years. They get worn daily.
    Last edited by CofC Waterfowler; 10-04-2022 at 09:23 AM.

God almighty I said I could have been warmer, not freezing to death. I was looking for something when the mornings were in the 20s that was less bulky than what I currently have.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    This, and the fact that you can take them off without taking off your boots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    How hard can it be to buy merino wool in 2022? Buy it for $30 or buy the same with a branded label on it and spend as much as you want...
    Not quite true. I've had plenty of merino itch.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntinjunkie View Post
    God almighty I said I could have been warmer, not freezing to death. I was looking for something when the mornings were in the 20s that was less bulky than what I currently have.
    Then you probably need to stick with synthetics. Merino moves moisture really well, doesn't stink, and is comfortable. Unless you get a hybrid material or something really heavy like that furnace doggie doc was talking about, merino isn't going to be as warm as synthetics, IMO.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

And get something with a wind blocker layer. That will make a world of difference.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I use a polypro base layer because I am hot natured and need it to wick away any sweat a wool baselayer brings. My layering technique:

Polypro
    wool
    cotton
    wing/waterproof outer shell.

In SC I have to peel out of some of it mind morning.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton