Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Looking at some traps.

Peet Moss is what we use under our pan, and dang near about fool proof even in freezing conditions. In regards to the question about how often to add bait or check sets, just remember just how sensitive a canines nose is. I have made sets and come back 3 months after pulling them and seen where coyotes are actively checking and pawing at the them. Trap where coyotes are, limit the time you’re on the ground making sets, don’t be scared to experiment and stay confident.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    Peet Moss is what we use under our pan, and dang near about fool proof even in freezing conditions. In regards to the question about how often to add bait or check sets, just remember just how sensitive a canines nose is. I have made sets and come back 3 months after pulling them and seen where coyotes are actively checking and pawing at the them. Trap where coyotes are, limit the time you’re on the ground making sets, don’t be scared to experiment and stay confident.
    Thanks for the advice. Seems to work on raccoons and opossums pretty well! Haha Had to rework some traps due to the rain and mud running water some places. Did Peet Moss today to try it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

If anybody wants to try trapping some Yotes, I got some places. Need to start doing it myself, but need to put a dent in them during the deer off season. I’ll help set, or whatever I can do, and I can check them daily as well from the side by side with binos, as not to “stink” them up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Seems to work on raccoons and opossums pretty well! Haha Had to rework some traps due to the rain and mud running water some places. Did Peet Moss today to try it out.
    In reference to the above picture, what was your target animal to catch in that set? I don't see a coyote working into that set at all. It's to busy and a tight space......he needs to be comfortable working it, I just don't see it with that set.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    In reference to the above picture, what was your target animal to catch in that set? I don't see a coyote working into that set at all. It's to busy and a tight space......he needs to be comfortable working it, I just don't see it with that set.
    Coons and opossums. It’s gotten a few. Getting moved shortly to target some coyotes on another property.

In another news ordered a dozen 4 spring #2 Bridgers try them out.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Coons and opossums. It’s gotten a few. Getting moved shortly to target some coyotes on another property.

In another news ordered a dozen 4 spring #2 Bridgers try them out.
    10-4, that set works on those for sure.

Dogproofs are the way to go for raccoons. simple and easy
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

So little girl wasn’t feeling well so stayed home from church this morning. Went to check traps early. Saw a bobcat last night around 12 last night running across the field. Had a few tracks around it as well. Pulled out. Reset it firmed the bed up. Did a step down dirt hole set not far from it with another. Got some Bridger #2 4-coils coming in. Gonna switch out all the 1.75s and add 2 springs to them.

It about freaking time!!!! I have had a learning curve for sure. First I was to impatient and moved traps because I was second guessing myself to have he old trap sets finally get worked…. After leaving them be and fixing the issue I was having with bedding the traps….. I know the picture sucks but 1 coyote down!!! Lol I was putting way to much on the jaws of the trap when bedding which was resulting in a lot and I mean a lot of traps being empty. With paw prints on the pan and to much under the pan to to much pan tension it’s been a process for sure. Had someone help with the bedding issues and started using insulation under the pan and finally came together.

heck yes. Congrats

Heck yeah. That first one is damn near as exciting as a first turkey. Congratulations
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Congrats on your first! Peat Moss!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Another one. Moved traps and set on fresh sign. Moved the dirt holes as the rain is making them pointless. Been using walk tho, pvc pipe sets, small dirt hole flat sets, and some marker sets. The walk tho and small dirt hole sets seem to get most of the attention and the pvc has been getting possums and coons pretty decent.
    Last edited by darealdeal; 02-06-2023 at 10:11 AM.

Nice work. I had a cluster of misses this weekend and am just this side of walking tight circles while mumbling to myself.

The win is my sets are getting work. The loss is I'm getting picked on by these animals and I don't like it. But I'm learning, the kids are learning so each one, hit or miss, is a win.

Congrats again!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Nice work. I had a cluster of misses this weekend and am just this side of walking tight circles while mumbling to myself.

The win is my sets are getting work. The loss is I'm getting picked on by these animals and I don't like it. But I'm learning, the kids are learning so each one, hit or miss, is a win.

Congrats again!
    Oh I am learning. I have had 4 traps dug up, at least 4 or 5 with paw prints on the pan but I changed up the way I was bedding after they got dug up and now I have gotten a better idea it seems on bedding and pan cover, and 3 or 4 with the smaller 1.75 bridgers I started with get pulled out of and 1 bobcat pull out of. I changed the 1.75 to 4 coils and they are doing much better, changed my bedding method, and using insulation under the pan. All seems to be working better now. Now its more.... Do i move that one. do I leave it..... Do I bait again because of the rain... Fun stuff!